Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons

Comments

• Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    ABC
    XYZ
    LLC
    QPA

WTF!!

I can't wait to get into Cisco stuff....looks confusing, sounds cool.
    i remain, he who remains to be....
  • fuseboxfusebox Member Posts: 87 ■■□□□□□□□□
    whats the major difference between CCNP and CCIP ?
    Im a newbie.... please be easy on me.
  • Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    fusebox wrote:

From the source....

CCNP

CCIP
    i remain, he who remains to be....
  • TranscenderMichaelTranscenderMichael Member Posts: 187
    fusebox wrote:

Most individuals will go after the CCNP, as it relates to routing, switching, remote access and support. Most everyone who touches a Cisco router needs to understand those concepts.

The CCIP relates more to internetworking, particularly for service provider networks. And to be quite honest, I'd never consider taking the CCIP exams before passing the CCNP exams. For instance, advanced BGP studies should be done AFTER taking BSCI (which covers BGP basics, among other things), and MPLS (Multiprotocol Label Switching)should be done AFTER taking BCMSN and BSCI (not only do you need to know switching, but BGP as well).

The other three intermediate-level Cisco certifications are the CCDP, CCSP, and CCVP, for network design, security, and voice, respectively.
    TranscenderMichael (at hotmail.com)
    MCSE+I, MCDST, MCDBA, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CNE, CCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, A+
    Kaplan IT
    Powering Transcender and Self Test Software
    Served proudly, USArmy, 98C, '89-'92
  • Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Do people even attempt the CCIP certification that aren't already in the service provider industry? I work in the service provider industry and I don't know anyone with a CCIP,yet it seems like a valuable certification, especially when paired with the CCNP.

Heck, is there a tally of how many CCIP's have ever been issued, or are at least currently valid?
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • HumperHumper Member Posts: 647
    Paul Boz wrote:
    Do people even attempt the CCIP certification that aren't already in the service provider industry? I work in the service provider industry and I don't know anyone with a CCIP,yet it seems like a valuable certification, especially when paired with the CCNP.

Heck, is there a tally of how many CCIP's have ever been issued, or are at least currently valid?

I definitely see alot more CCNP's then CCIP's. I will go after the CCIP once I finish my NP. It is very valuable information even in my job as I am constantly on the phone with our providers and I would like to understand what they are talking about and question there actions if necessary. I also just like to have the big picture :D
    Now working full time!
  • CrunchyhippoCrunchyhippo Member Posts: 389
    Most individuals will go after the CCNP, as it relates to routing, switching, remote access and support. Most everyone who touches a Cisco router needs to understand those concepts.

The CCIP relates more to internetworking, particularly for service provider networks. And to be quite honest, I'd never consider taking the CCIP exams before passing the CCNP exams.

We'd all love to get the CCNP first. Unless one just doesn't have the time to go after multiple mid-level certifications. Especially if one isn't in his twenties or thirties anymore. Or if one has outside commitments that are big time-crunchers, like small children to care for or an extra job.

I don't want to be fifty years old when I get my CCIP/CCVP/etc. because I thought I needed the CCNP first.
    "Computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons." - Popular Mechanics, 1949
  • Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□

I don't want to be fifty years old when I get my CCIP/CCVP/etc. because I thought I needed the CCNP first.

I got the CCNP and the CCIP within the span of about one calendar year. The CCNP and CCIP share two exams as it is and the QoS and ONT exams are 70% of the same content. All that remains is the BGP and MPLS, which is offered in a composite. These are easy subjects to study for because the BSCI and BCMSN do a decent job of addressing both technologies.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • APAAPA Member Posts: 959
    I was going for my CCDA\CCDP, before I took the plunge into the Service Provider world.

CCIP is definitely more beneficial to my job role and is my current WIP.... Only two\three exams after CCNP is a bonus as well :)

Design can wait till after my CCIE :) Would be keen to know how many CCIP's there were as well.

CCNA | CCNA:Security | CCNP | CCIP
    JNCIA:JUNOS | JNCIA:EX | JNCIS:ENT | JNCIS:SEC
    JNCIS:SP | JNCIP:SP
  • EdTheLadEdTheLad Member Posts: 2,111 ■■■■□□□□□□
    WIP, would that be Telstra WIP?
    Networking, sometimes i love it, mostly i hate it.Its all about the $$$$
  • APAAPA Member Posts: 959
    EdTheLad wrote: »
    WIP, would that be Telstra WIP?

Only just saw this reply ed... Personal Work in Progress... I don't work for Telstra..

CCNA | CCNA:Security | CCNP | CCIP
    JNCIA:JUNOS | JNCIA:EX | JNCIS:ENT | JNCIS:SEC
    JNCIS:SP | JNCIP:SP
  • SepiraphSepiraph Member Posts: 179 ■■□□□□□□□□
    There is only one person in my group of ~20 who is a CCIP versus 4 CCIE, I have no idea how many CCNP. I think if one was to work in the core transport group for an ISP, then CCIP level of knowledge is a must but not so much needed otherwise.