Starting out so what do I need?

Hi everyone,

I am new to this forum, and pretty new to the IT world in general and was looking for some advice.

I graduated from college with a BA in History, now kicking myself cause there are no teaching jobs anywhere available in SoCal.

I got really interested in computers when I was young, messing around with them and w/e else. By the time I graduated from college, I was building my own computers and could fix almost any windows problem software or hardware.

I went out and got my A+ certificate, and am trying to pump myself up for the Network+ exam. Aside from having the A+ which landed me a job as a Staples Easy Tech *Like a Bestbuy Geeksquad agent*. My ideal job right now would be a helpdesk situation like in a college or company where people bring their computers to me or they call in with problems.

My two questions are this. What type of job description would I be looking for, and what other certifications should I look for?

Thanks for all the advice.

Comments

• RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I would suggest you sit down and come up with a career path plan. Decide what your dream job would be and plan for 1, 3, and 5 years. This should get you closer to your dream job.

Since you seem to have already created a short term plan of a help desk position, I would suggest you start with the MCITP: EST 7 (which also requires an HDI cert) and then go on to the MCITP: EDA. These should place you very well for a helpdesk/floor support role when added to you A+ and (soon to have) Net+
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Hi everyone,

I am new to this forum, and pretty new to the IT world in general and was looking for some advice.

I graduated from college with a BA in History, now kicking myself cause there are no teaching jobs anywhere available in SoCal.

I got really interested in computers when I was young, messing around with them and w/e else. By the time I graduated from college, I was building my own computers and could fix almost any windows problem software or hardware.

I went out and got my A+ certificate, and am trying to pump myself up for the Network+ exam. Aside from having the A+ which landed me a job as a Staples Easy Tech *Like a Bestbuy Geeksquad agent*. My ideal job right now would be a help desk situation like in a college or company where people bring their computers to me or they call in with problems.

My two questions are this. What type of job description would I be looking for, and what other certifications should I look for?

You have a Bachelors degree, and for that reason I would not aim low. What area in IT do you eventually want to get into? Starting out you will probably have to take a Desktop Support or Help Desk job. In three to four years you could aim for something better. During those years you could line up quite a few nice certifications for your resume. icon_cool.gif

Welcome to TE!

[edit] @RobertKaucher: Sorry man, I just realized I basically copied what you had to say! icon_redface.gif
  • RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    [edit] @RobertKaucher: Sorry man, I just realized I basically copied what you had to say! icon_redface.gif

Great minds, right?

Parttime, just so you are aware you are not alone having a history background and then getting into IT:
    "So, a booth babe and a geek walk in to a bar..." : What the hell? ...
  • Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Well, gotta knock out your entry level and build up about a year or two of grunt work experience.

you got a lot ahead of you... snag some geek squad/help desk experience and spend a year or two labbing to earn some more IT certs.

Shoot for this and check back in with us
    MCDST >> MCITP: Enteprise Admin on Windows 7
    CCENT >> CCNA
    -Daniel
  • TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Hi everyone,

I went out and got my A+ certificate, and am trying to pump myself up for the Network+ exam. Aside from having the A+ which landed me a job as a Staples Easy Tech *Like a Bestbuy Geeksquad agent*. My ideal job right now would be a helpdesk situation like in a college or company where people bring their computers to me or they call in with problems.

Shouldn't worry. I did an Honours Degree in History many moons ago.
  • parttimetechieparttimetechie Member Posts: 156
    Thanks for all of the support guys and girls. Sometimes I feel like i screwed up getting a hist degree and then going into IT.

What is an MCITP? Microsoft Cert IT Professional? How do I get that cert?

Also, should I be concered with the fact a lot of jobs want super amounts of experience? When the economy turns, will those basic entry level jobs come out into the open again?

Thanks
  • Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    What is an MCITP? Microsoft Cert IT Professional? How do I get that cert?
    mcitp Follow this link and all shall be revealed.

Also, should I be concerned with the fact a lot of jobs want super amounts of experience? When the economy turns, will those basic entry level jobs come out into the open again?

Thanks

I think with this "jobless recovery" and "soft recovery" bullsh1t, I think it will still be just as hard. You are going to have to do what everyone else has to do...hustle and find you niche.

• tenroutenrou Member Posts: 108
    I don't know how it works in the US but in the UK I did my first degree (MA) in Applied Social Sciences and then I did a conversion Masters to IT. It's basically a fast track course if you already have a previous degree. It's a LOT of work but you come out of it pretty well educated.

Slightly off topic but given the time again I'd spend a lot more time on some of the course aspects. I scoffed at Project Management having never worked in a large operations department but now it's likely I'll end up as a Technical Project Manager in a few years.
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Thanks for all of the support guys and girls. Sometimes I feel like i screwed up getting a hist degree and then going into IT.

At least you didn't change your degree back and forth like me icon_wink.gif A degree is never a waste. In IT a Bachelor degree is still a Bachelor degree.
  • macor2005macor2005 Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    First, I suggest for Comptia Certification, this is the foundation for all entry level skills.

Then after accomplishing those desired test, make a career path of whom you want to become based on your interest.
  • stephens316stephens316 Member Posts: 203 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I know some of what your going through right now.

1 Comptia Network +
    2 MS 70-620 or 70-680
    3 Comptia Security +
    4 MS 70-640
    5 CCENT
    6 MS 70-642
    7 Linux +
    8 MS 70-646

Best path for you right now, as I see it. Keep an eye open for free voucher and other deals posted online. Get experience with are Desktop/help desk support roles and move up as you can.
    Free Reading : History Books