2007 or 2010?

After I finish out the MCITP EA (one test to go) I am going to start on some exchange learning.

Ive installed and lightly used 2003 before, but not enough to say that I know it well...and now that its 2 versions back I want to start with something a little newer. I had planned on doing the 2007 configuring exam but now that 2010 is out I am wondering if its better to start there, or is 2007 so similar to 2010 that it will be an easy transition to do both?

Comments

• dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I'd start with 2010 unless you're working with a previous version. There's no upgrade between the two MCITPs either...
  • Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Hey I know this seems a little weird.. and I am not certain of your situation. But you might want to start with some light "for fun" studies of Exchange 2003. The majority of clients I work with are on 2003 and there is a lot of hold over and terminology you might want to know of. I am not saying get ceritified, but maybe dedicate 20 or so hours to Exchange 2003 labs and then start in on the newer stuff.

Online software tutorials, training CDs, Photoshop Tutorials, Dreamweaver Tutorials, Apple Tutorials from vtc.com has some video you can blow through in a weekend.
    -Daniel
  • Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    We arent using any version at work, yet.

Its presumable that we will be using 2010 when we go to deploy it, though. Although they are saying ~2 years, I bet they will want to make the move in 6-12 months.

Does anyone know if there will be a 2010 MCITP EMA?
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Hyper-Me wrote: »

As stated earlier, yes, and there isn't an upgrade.

http://www.techexams.net/forums/exchange-server-office-communications-server-exams/43373-exchange-2010-exams-development.html

Go with what you're going to be using, which sounds like 2010 in that scenario.
    Oh I see. It will cost less to get an MCITP:EMA on 2010 then since its a test less, as well

Thanks.
  • ClaymooreClaymoore Member Posts: 1,637
    Hyper-Me wrote: »
    We arent using any version at work, yet.

Its presumable that we will be using 2010 when we go to deploy it, though. Although they are saying ~2 years, I bet they will want to make the move in 6-12 months.

Will you still be there in 2 years when they finally get around to deploying Exchange or will you have moved on to greener pastures?

If you plan on sticking around to admin a fresh Exchange installation, then only studying 2010 will be fine. However, if you ever plan to leave and pursue consulting work then you will need to know the previous versions of Exchange in order to perform the migration projects. 2003 is still heavily used and can be used as a migration phase when moving from other mail platforms.

I like to make sure my certification goals line up with my career goals. I seriously considered skipping the 2003 certs and moving on to 2007 even though all of my experience was with 2003. One of the deciding factors was the MCSE:Messaging certification. At the time there were ~150,000 MCSEs in Server 2003, but only ~10,000 MCSE:Messaging. I thought the Messaging specialization would set me apart from the other MCSEs and it did. Few hiring managers knew what it meant, but my current employer did and it helped me land the job I have now.
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    If the 2010 cert is anything like the 2003 cert, you will at least need to be familiar enough with 2003 or 2007 to be able to migrate it to 2010. And, as claymoore said, real world, you will need to have this knowledge anyway.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
    I'd like to break into consulting at some point, but for the forseeable future I will probably be where i'm at. I dont think i'd go back as far as 2003 anyway, if anything backwards id do 07 and then 10.

Also not being certified in exchange 03 doesnt mean i cant have a good understanding of it for migration purposes. But i do see your point.