Options

10,000 Page Challenge

Comments

• Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Bokeh wrote: »
    If you read a book twice, is that supposed to count for twice the pages?

I'm going to go with no. icon_razz.gif

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Even though I didn't join the challenge at first I should go back and count mine, I'm sure I'm on pace.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    NetAdmin2436NetAdmin2436 Member Posts: 1,076
    I haven't counted, but I would guess I'm a little behind. I'm probably averaging 15-20 pages a day right now. Now that my basement is just about finished I should have more time to icon_study.gif the second half of 2009.
    WIP: CCENT/CCNA (.....probably)
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Angie1313 wrote: »
    is it too late to join in?

Never too late!

Just get caught up ;)

And to the guy asking about re-reading....I'd say 'no' icon_sad.gif Doesn't count in my opinion (for whatever that is worth). Not my contest, but I'd say 'no'. The point, I believe, is to get people reading new material and learning as they go.

And I like the '39 page during the week'....it makes it sound like other fun reading and stuff can be done on the weekends :)

It usually is not that tough to read....main thing is to do it!
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    I am woefully behind schedule if I'm going to meet the 10K challenge, but I'm still willing to kick it into gear & try to at least get close!
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
  • Options
    vColevCole Member Posts: 1,573 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I haven't even started this yet, maybe I should today. icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    Slowhand wrote: »
    10,000 pages, huh? Well, I've got a few New Year's resolutions to upkeep, so I think I'll toss my hat into the ring on this one. Let's see here. . . Total: 10,423 pages

This, of course, doesn't include extracurricular-reading and other reading in preparation of going back to school full-time in 2010, as well as some 'for fun' reading: Total: 3879 pages

Well, with a grand total of 14,302 pages to read, not including the books I'll be assigned in the couple of classes I'm taking, whitepapers, etc, it's going to be a very busy year for page-turning. Of course, there'll be plenty of hands-on work, (both in production and lab environments,) as well as both CBT Nuggets and TestOut training, so I've got my hands full. Who's bringing the coffee? icon_lol.gif
    Seeing as how I've just been tasked with setting up a new Cisco 2811 router, running the k9 software and doing some SSL VPN, I've got a couple of things to add to the list:

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I might drop down to 5k IT pages this year. Because of my marriage falling apart, I'm going to hit my Japanese studies hard and try to make a move out there next year. The JLPT1, which is essentially the level of daily interactions, requires 900+ hours of study. I could go for a CCIE or two, but what fun would that be? icon_lol.gif Oh well, I'll need something else to work on in a few years anyway...

Japanese Language Proficiency Test - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
  • Options
    Let's see, I've made a little bit of progress since I posted last.
    • SSL Remote Access VPNs - 384 pages (Finished it.)
    • Network Warrior - 598 pages (Finished it.)
    • CCNA Security Official Exam Certification Guide - 672 pages (Finished it.)
    Total: 1,654 pages

Add that to my running total: 1,654 + 3,700 = 5,354 pages as of 5/19/2009. icon_cheers.gif

How's everyone else doing on page-count and books read for the year?

• Options
    Honestly, I've stopped keeping track. I've legitimately read about 2500 pages on Exchange, sped through a similar amount for Server 2008, and have probably another 3-4k in other things. I have a feeling I'm going to blow that out of the water. I think that's been a good push for the first half of the year. After I knock out my last EA exam, I think I'm just going to take it easy and maybe review with some resource kit books. I'm not killing myself doing this through another summer (that wouldn't be fair to the ladies ;)).
  • Options
    djhss68djhss68 Member Posts: 205
    Slowhand wrote: »
    Let's see, I've made a little bit of progress since I posted last.
    • SSL Remote Access VPNs - 384 pages (Finished it.)
    • Network Warrior - 598 pages (Finished it.)
    • CCNA Security Official Exam Certification Guide - 672 pages (Finished it.)
    Total: 1,654 pages

Add that to my running total: 1,654 + 3,700 = 5,354 pages as of 5/19/2009. icon_cheers.gif

How's everyone else doing on page-count and books read for the year?
    Network Warrior has been sitting on my bookshelf for several months now. How was it?
  • Options
    djhss68 wrote: »
    Network Warrior has been sitting on my bookshelf for several months now. How was it?

It's excellent. What I've found myself doing is going back to it for a quick reference when I need to set something up that I haven't touched in a while or get a second opinion on a topic I come across in my CCNP studies. It's definitely not for the faint of heart(hub), you need to have some experience under your belt to really get something out of it. My favorite section has to be the chapter on setting up a PIX firewall, as well as the sections on QoS which are very straightforward.

• Options
    dynamik wrote: »
    Honestly, I've stopped keeping track. I've legitimately read about 2500 pages on Exchange, sped through a similar amount for Server 2008, and have probably another 3-4k in other things. I have a feeling I'm going to blow that out of the water. I think that's been a good push for the first half of the year. After I knock out my last EA exam, I think I'm just going to take it easy and maybe review with some resource kit books. I'm not killing myself doing this through another summer (that wouldn't be fair to the ladies ;)).

I hear you, spending a summer working yourself to death isn't my idea of a good time, either. I'm going to be doing "only" cert-studying and work over the summer, having just come off doing school on top of that, it's going to feel like a vacation. icon_lol.gif

• Options
    Only a few weeks left in 2009....so....

WHO made the 10K page challenge?

icon_cheers.gif
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

• Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Plantwiz wrote: »
    Only a few weeks left in 2009....so....

WHO made the 10K page challenge?

icon_cheers.gif

Any chance this might start again in 2010? I am definitely in if so... Oh, and lets make it a sticky icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    I'd love to see this done again in 2010!

It's a fantastic goal and even if someone gets 5K pages read, that's a good deal more then a lot of people read. Knowledge is ... good ;):)

So how'd you do, V? or do you have a lot of reading to catch up on in the next 5.5 weeks? :)
    Plantwiz
    _____

• Options
    I'd love to see this done again in 2010!

It's a fantastic goal and even if someone gets 5K pages read, that's a good deal more then a lot of people read. Knowledge is ... good ;):)

So how'd you do, V? or do you have a lot of reading to catch up on in the next 5.5 weeks? :)

I had never seen this thread until today. I will have to take a look at some of the books I have read and see for sure.

[Update] I just looked at all the textbooks (from my college classes) and certification books I have read so far this year. By 2010 I will probably have read over 5,000 pages. Thinking back its frustrating though, I wonder how much of it I am actually going to remember? icon_sad.gif
  • Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I would be interested in doing this.
  • Options
    knwminus wrote: »
    I would be interested in doing this.

Good.

Start....NOW :)

(27.5 pages a day or 39 pages M-F...so you can have a life on the weekend)
    Plantwiz
    _____

• Options
    apena7apena7 Member Posts: 351
    By 2010 I will probably have read over 5,000 pages. Thinking back its frustrating though, I wonder how much of it I am actually going to remember? icon_sad.gif

Well, on average we remember about 10% of what we read -- so 500 pages? Knowing myself, those 500 pages would probably be the table of contents from every book, :D
    Usus magister est optimus
  • Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Good.

What about 39 pages 7 days a week. Does that give me bonus points?
  • Options
    PashPash Member Posts: 1,600 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Good.

So if I read 39 pages a day Monday to Friday I am not a complete sado?

This is great news! icon_twisted.gif
    DevOps Engineer and Security Champion. https://blog.pash.by - I am trying to find my writing style, so please bear with me.
  • Options
    I stopped keeping detailed notes about this awhile ago, but if anyone cares, I think I hit it around August. I did about 2000 pages of Exchange in April alone; I'll probably end up around 15k for the year. I think I'll keep 2010 at 10k as well though. Everything I'm reading now is getting more advanced, so I'm slowing down a bit...
  • Options
    I stopped keeping detailed notes about this awhile ago, but if anyone cares, I think I hit it around August. I did about 2000 pages of Exchange in April alone; I'll probably end up around 15k for the year. I think I'll keep 2010 at 10k as well though. Everything I'm reading now is getting more advanced, so I'm slowing down a bit...

Lets see now:

Over 10,000 pages in one year and reaching 10,000 posts this year. Either you don't have a life or you really enjoy technology icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    Why do you make it sound like those are mutually exclusive?
  • Options
    Why do you make it sound like those are mutually exclusive?

Umm, somehow I just don't know what to say to that. :)
  • Options
    KGhaleonKGhaleon Member Posts: 1,346 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I think I might just take up the 2010 challenge since I shyed away from this one. I've got a period of free time to myself each day, so I'll do it. >=)
    Present goals: MCAS, MCSA, 70-680
  • Options
    ObdurateObdurate Member Posts: 108
    I am up for it starting in 2010.

A sticky would be nice by the by.

Regards,

~Obdurate~
  • Options
    BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I'll get back in on this one. Lost track after 2500 pages this year.
  • Options
    120nm4n120nm4n Member Posts: 116
    I need something that will motivate me to read more, so I'm in.
    WIP: MCITP: EA
    70-620 - Done
    70-647 - In Progress
    70-649 - Soon.