Fundamental prerequisite

roghanroghan Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi people! I'm attending CCNA Security course, and it is very interesting :)! It will finish before Christmas, and to January I think to do certificate exam... but... CCNA certificate is fundamental to do CCNA Security exam or it is advised??? Because I haven't CCNA certificate icon_sad.gif...

Comments

• veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    roghan wrote: »
    Hi people! I'm attending CCNA Security course, and it is very interesting :)! It will finish before Christmas, and to January I think to do certificate exam... but... CCNA certificate is fundamental to do CCNA Security exam or it is advised??? Because I haven't CCNA certificate icon_sad.gif...

I think you are asking is CCNA a prerequisite for the CCNA:Security. Yes it is a prerequisite.

CCNA Security - Career Certifications & Paths - Cisco Systems
  • roghanroghan Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I think you are asking is CCNA a prerequisite for the CCNA:Security. Yes it is a prerequisite.

CCNA Security - Career Certifications & Paths - Cisco Systems

Ok, I thought it was not mandatory icon_sad.gif... Too bad!
    Ok, I thought it was not mandatory icon_sad.gif... Too bad!

It is kind of hard to learn Cisco hardware without knowing how the operating system works. That is kind of like learning American regional accents without knowing how to speak English icon_wink.gif
    It is kind of hard to learn Cisco hardware without knowing how the operating system works. That is kind of like learning American regional accents without knowing how to speak English icon_wink.gif

I'm seeing!!! I'm a degree in Computer Science, but I have never studied Cisco IOS, and CLI, and I didn't know architecture of a router or what was exactly a switch!! Now, I'm trying to study everything icon_study.gif, but it's not easy... I still expect 2/3 months of intensive study!! icon_cheers.gif
    I'm seeing!!! I'm a degree in Computer Science, but I have never studied Cisco IOS, and CLI, and I didn't know architecture of a router or what was exactly a switch!! Now, I'm trying to study everything icon_study.gif, but it's not easy... I still expect 2/3 months of intensive study!! icon_cheers.gif

Not easy but well worth it. You will be thankful in the long run.
    Not easy but well worth it. You will be thankful in the long run.

Then... yesterday I spoke with the Cisco responsible of the school, where I'm attending the security course. He told me that Certification CCNA isn't mandatory for CCNA security :D:)icon_wink.gif!! CCNA is recommended only for the study of CCNA security.
  • peanutnogginpeanutnoggin Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Then... yesterday I spoke with the Cisco responsible of the school, where I'm attending the security course. He told me that Certification CCNA isn't mandatory for CCNA security :D:)icon_wink.gif!! CCNA is recommended only for the study of CCNA security.

True... CCNA is only recommended for the study of CCNA: Security, but it is strongly recommended. The reason being... is some of the topics will not make sense unless you have an understanding of how it is used. The first example that popped into my head was ACLs. In CCNA Security, you'll learn all about writing ACLs to prevent traffic from coming in or going out of your network. The CCNA Security does not teach you how/where to apply the ACLs, what the difference is in ACLs (Standard, Extended, Numbered, Named, Reflexive, etc...). It also doesn't teach you about wildcard masks and how to figure them out.

I hope I don't sound as if I'm trying to discourage you because I'm not. GO for it brother! I just wanted you to know that some of the topics will not fully make sense until you learn the fundamentals of those topics. I HTH and as always, if you have any problems or questions, post it to the forums and we'll do our best to help. I wish you the best of luck.

V/r

~Peanut
    We cannot have a superior democracy with an inferior education system!

-Mayor Cory Booker
  • brocbroc Member Posts: 167

He is wrong, the CCNA is a prerequisite for the CCNA:Security. You can check by yourself on Cisco website:

https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/community/certifications/security_ccna/syllabus
    "Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts.”
    broc wrote: »
    He is wrong, the CCNA is a prerequisite for the CCNA:Security. You can check by yourself on Cisco website:

https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/community/certifications/security_ccna/syllabus

Broc,

I think he was saying that to take the class... CCNA is not required (which is probably true). He's not taking the certification test because then you are required to have the CCNA. HTH.

V/r

~Peanut

-Mayor Cory Booker
    Broc,

I think he was saying that to take the class... CCNA is not required (which is probably true). He's not taking the certification test because then you are required to have the CCNA. HTH.

V/r

~Peanut

Don't know how I missed that icon_rolleyes.gif You are exactly right.
    True... CCNA is only recommended for the study of CCNA: Security, but it is strongly recommended. The reason being... is some of the topics will not make sense unless you have an understanding of how it is used. The first example that popped into my head was ACLs. In CCNA Security, you'll learn all about writing ACLs to prevent traffic from coming in or going out of your network. The CCNA Security does not teach you how/where to apply the ACLs, what the difference is in ACLs (Standard, Extended, Numbered, Named, Reflexive, etc...). It also doesn't teach you about wildcard masks and how to figure them out.

I hope I don't sound as if I'm trying to discourage you because I'm not. GO for it brother! I just wanted you to know that some of the topics will not fully make sense until you learn the fundamentals of those topics. I HTH and as always, if you have any problems or questions, post it to the forums and we'll do our best to help. I wish you the best of luck.

V/r

~Peanut

In fact, I'm studying many things alone... For example, now we are to chapter 6 (Securing the LAN), and I'm studying vlan and switch configuration alone. However, the important thing is that to January I will take only CCNA Security Certification :D! Hence, how the Cisco responsible said yesterday... CCNA Certification isn't a prerequisite for CCNA Security Certification icon_lol.gif (also if on Cisco website is written the opposite icon_surprised.gif).
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    You can take the CCNA:Security exam with having a CCNA.

You can probably take the CCNA:Security class without having CCNA -- but if you don't have "CCNA Knowledge" you may not understand a lot of the "easy stuff" that everyone else knows from their CCNA studies.

But you don't get the CCNA:Security Certification until you meet all the requirements -- which includes the prerequisite of having having the CCNA Certification.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
    mikej412 wrote: »

You can probably take the CCNA:Security class without having CCNA -- but if you don't have "CCNA Knowledge" you may not understand a lot of the "easy stuff" that everyone else knows from their CCNA studies.

But you don't get the CCNA:Security Certification until you meet all the requirements -- which includes the prerequisite of having having the CCNA Certification.

Good point Mike.
    mikej412 wrote: »

Ok, thanks!! icon_sunny.gif

p.s.: what book do you advise me for "CCNA Knowledge"?? A book also with explanations (like technotes, in short!), and not only with commands description...
    Ok, thanks!! icon_sunny.gif

p.s.: what book do you advise me for "CCNA Knowledge"?? A book also with explanations (like technotes, in short!), and not only with commands description...

It'll be hard to find a book in short. The CCNA is a lot of fundamental networking knowledge (subnetting, vlan, spanning-tree, etc...) that you can't really find a "cliff notes" style book to gain the knowledge. A very popular book (because it is an "easy" read) is Todd Lammle's book . I own it and it is a very good book for foundational CCNA knowledge. HTH.

V/r

~Peanut

-Mayor Cory Booker
    It'll be hard to find a book in short. The CCNA is a lot of fundamental networking knowledge (subnetting, vlan, spanning-tree, etc...) that you can't really find a "cliff notes" style book to gain the knowledge. A very popular book (because it is an "easy" read) is Todd Lammle's book . I own it and it is a very good book for foundational CCNA knowledge. HTH.

V/r

~Peanut

Thanks!!! In Italy this book is very expensive icon_silent.gif, but now I search it well on web :D for the best price...

p.s.: I found this, always with Todd Lammle author:
    http://www.amazon.com/CCNA-Certified-Network-Associate-640-802/dp/0470110090/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1258192096&sr=1-2

I just bought this book... waiting its arriving... :)