BI Analyst ? Anyone ?

benchodbenchod Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
Has anyone thought of Business Intelligence Analyst jobs ? Whats the input on board about this position ?

ben

Comments

• elover_jmelover_jm Member Posts: 349
    Yes definitely (Currently Preparing for MS BI exams) , whats your Database background?

Position usually require integrating business enterprise database environment into a unified model (Data Warehouse), off which reports (using tools such as Reporting services and analysis services) are generated for making Critical Business Decisions.
    stonecold26.jpg
  • ClaymooreClaymoore Member Posts: 1,637
    Although I don't do any, my company does a lot of BI work. Just from hearing them talk about projects in various meetings it sounds like several different products are involved in the practice. I don't think you need to be an expert in all of them, but you will probably bump into more than one of them on any given BI project.

http://www.microsoft.com/sqlserver/2008/en/us/default.aspx
    Microsoft SQL Server 2008: Reporting
    Microsoft Office SharePoint Server - Connecting People, Process, and Information
    http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/projectserver/FX100739841033.aspx
    Team Foundation Server Home

It probably also helps to have experience in a particular vertical such as healthcare or finance to better tune the tools for those industry needs.
  • benchodbenchod Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I am starting out in the field and I am very much interested in the database path. I already have good business knowledge, and management experience, and BI Analyst just seems more of a path for me, but I am not sure where to start.

I am in the middle of thinking if I should go for my Master in CIS from Boston University or Another Bachelor in IT... I already have BS in Business.

Any suggestion or input on how I can get started or how many of you got started I would appericate the info.

thank you
    ben
  • RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Ben,

You plan sounds really good. I plan on starting the BI exams in 2010 and would love it if you would post you comments on the exams and your experiences in studying for them and taking them.
    benchod wrote: »
    I am starting out in the field and I am very much interested in the database path. I already have good business knowledge, and management experience, and BI Analyst just seems more of a path for me, but I am not sure where to start.

I am in the middle of thinking if I should go for my Master in CIS from Boston University or Another Bachelor in IT... I already have BS in Business.

Any suggestion or input on how I can get started or how many of you got started I would appericate the info.

thank you
    ben

You can do the Msc in business Intelligence at SJU (it's more geared to that arena), i'll also be starting this program next summer.

start off with persuing BI certification such as the microsoft MCTIP BI, it incorporates learning tools like SQL Server reporting services, analysis services and Integration services (SSRS,SSAS and SSIS).

There are also tools use for ORACLE environment such as cognos you might want to check out the oracle OTN website for more information on that.

Business intelligence is a strong field in the database world and is currently in high demand. i think it will couple well with your business experience.
    stonecold26.jpg
  • benchodbenchod Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
    But it lacks the name ? Most companies I notice seem to be wanting graduates from well known college... Did you get a chance to look at CIS Program from Boston University ?

Is this a hard field to break in to ? how do you go acquiring the first job ?
    benchod wrote: »
    But it lacks the name ? Most companies I notice seem to be wanting graduates from well known college... Did you get a chance to look at CIS Program from Boston University ?

Is this a hard field to break in to ? how do you go acquiring the first job ?

I did check out the BU CIS and it looks pretty good in terms of courses offered (I'm contemplating doing it there also). The difference is i think that SJU program is more business oriented.

Most field if not all in IT requires a lot of work to break into, we all started from somewhere small (i'm sure almost everyone here on TE would tell you the same). as for me i landed my first job fresh out of university working in a small IT shop doing everything maintianing pc's, building LAN, performing data analysis using excell and managing MSOFT access database application.From this small shop while i was working i started persuing certifications in database technologies as a way of gaining and enhancing technical knowledge in the field.

After 3 years working and gaining my certifications i started looking for more demanding jobs in Database Management and this is where i found out that my persuit in certifications along with the lil experience i had paid off.

Experience counts for a lot but Degrees and Certifications will help to get you that interviews after that the rest is up to your tech skills and how much you know.

The key for you is to Get a home lab practice practice, get certified and seek entry level database jobs, i normally see a few out there requiring at least 1-2 years for entry level.

I still learn something new in this field everyday even after 8 years of experience managing databases.
    stonecold26.jpg