Check Out My CCSA Series

BobMeadBobMead Member Posts: 55 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hello,

If you are serious about learning Check Point pick up my CbtNuggets CCSA series. I am working on the CCSE series as we speak.

Watch a free video here CBT Nuggets: Free Videos

Thanks

Bobby
Press RETURN to get started

:roll:

Comments

• Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    BobMead wrote: »
    Hello,

If you are serious about learning Check Point pick up my CbtNuggets CCSA series. I am working on the CCSE series as we speak.

Watch a free video here CBT Nuggets: Free Videos

Thanks

Bobby

How quickly will both series be out.

btw I am serious ( I need my CCSA on r6 65 and I want to learn splat well)/
  • BobMeadBobMead Member Posts: 55 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I do cover splat from the ground up in this series, I suspect the CCSE will be out before the end of the year.

I do cover splat from the ground up in this series, I suspect the CCSE will be out before the end of the year.

What books would you say would go well with you videos?
    Well I would say the Check Point R65 PDF's get the Job done but for books I would go with Check Point books.

Well I would say the Check Point R65 PDF's get the Job done but for books I would go with Check Point books.

Well those are $$$. Would you say that sygress book Amazon.com: Check Point NGX R65 Security Administration (9781597492454): Ralph Bonnell: Books

would be a good fit? Also how "basic" are your videos? I mean what do they assume? Prior knowledge of Firewalls? Prior knowledge of Checkpoint?
    You could go with that book, Never read it my self, I take a step by step approach to help you learn from the ground up. Based on your back ground you look like the perfect student. I will tell you obtaining Check Point knowledge helped me get from the helpdesk to a Network Job.

You could go with that book, Never read it my self, I take a step by step approach to help you learn from the ground up. Based on your back ground you look like the perfect student. I will tell you obtaining Check Point knowledge helped me get from the helpdesk to a Network Job.

the L2/L3 Noc engineers need CCSA/CCSE so I may purchase your product. After the OP gives a non biased review icon_wink.gif. Maybe when your CCSE stuff comes out, cbt will offer a combo package.
  • pillard10pillard10 Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□

Could you pass the exam with only this video? that's the only need question most of us ask ourselves...
    pillard10 wrote: »
    Could you pass the exam with only this video? that's the only need question most of us ask ourselves...

Yes you can but as I state in the series you need to study and get hands on access as well. You can do this at home on vmware for no money. That is the great thing about CP.

• tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    Bobby,

Don't suppose you can put some spaces into the list of certifications you've got? Its screwing up the formatting of your posts.
    Much better formattingicon_lol.gif

Hope Everyone had a great Weekend, The Cowboys just won so that is great.

• nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi Bob,

When will you guys be doing the nuggets for the R70? i realise the R70 has just been released but are wondering how long it will take for them?

Thanks in advance.
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
    nel wrote: »
    Hi Bob,

When will you guys be doing the nuggets for the R70? i realise the R70 has just been released but are wondering how long it will take for them?

Thanks in advance.

Nothing set in stone yet on that one, I Will let you know.

• TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Yes you can but as I state in the series you need to study and get hands on access as well. You can do this at home on vmware for no money. That is the great thing about CP.

In the end I opted for R65 and installed this on a Proliant at home with a Windows Server 2003 eval. I registered with the checkpoint site but found while R70 can be downloaded R65 was no longer available as an eval on the CP site. I obtained a media kit for 60 dollars and an evaluation licence thanks to a reseller I contacted.

I just need the cert to tick a box really. I encounter checkpoint during the course of my work as a network designer but other than setting direction and defining rules I don't directly support it except in extremis.

But Im curious about R70..

With the R70 download will the iso work in VMware as opposed to installing straight on a server and how do you eval splat? Splat I have not encountered yet.
  • brocbroc Member Posts: 167
    Hi Turgon, you are already using SPLAT, it means secure platform and is basically the os onto which you install R65/R70. R65 can be install on splat or ipso (on a nokia appliance).

It's all in one package so when you launch the install, you install splat then whatever you want (VPN-1, management server, etc...). You can also install the management server on Windows 2003. You could probably install the firewall on windows 2003 too but obviously I don't have to tell you why it would be a bas idea :)

The R70 will work on VMWare as well as on a server, it "comes" with splat as a single package.

HTH
    "Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts.”
  • TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    broc wrote: »
    Hi Turgon, you are already using SPLAT, it means secure platform and is basically the os onto which you install R65/R70. R65 can be install on splat or ipso (on a nokia appliance).

It's all in one package so when you launch the install, you install splat then whatever you want (VPN-1, management server, etc...). You can also install the management server on Windows 2003. You could probably install the firewall on windows 2003 too but obviously I don't have to tell you why it would be a bas idea :)

The R70 will work on VMWare as well as on a server, it "comes" with splat as a single package.

HTH

hehehe..yes I had fun hardening OS's back in the day before installing Checkpoint 4.1 !

Im running R65 on a play pen at home so no problems there. In the field it's been IPSO and Nokia appliances running R60/R65

Splat is totally new to me Im afraid. Does splat, 'splat' Windows 2003 when you install CP65 on wintel box?

Confused :)
  • brocbroc Member Posts: 167
    Ahhh I read your thread regarding your lab but didn't realise you were installing them on Win 2003. Splat doesn't "splat" win 2003 :)

Splat is an os on it's on which you can install on loads of different hardware. You can find out if your server are compatible here:

Hardware Compatibility List

You then install splat and choose to install the firewall, management server, etc.. depending on what you want.

Splat is like a very secure version of linux designed for running a firewall.
    "Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts.”
    icon_cool.gif I suggest installing your Mgmt server on secure platform (SPLAT) as well. I know it will work on Windows 2003/2008 with R65/R70 code. It is ok for a study enviroment but I have seen way to many servers fail on Windows. Besides do you really want the server that controls the security policy and nat for your company to be on Windows? Never Never install on Windows in a production enviroment,

The great news is you can migrate your config to a SPlat box very easy with upgrade_export.

Your in trouble, CP is in your blood now!