New Linux Exam?

TechJunkyTechJunky Member Posts: 881
I have my Linux+, but I noticed today that there was a new exam in my testing centers, well, atleast new to me.

Is there a new Linux Certification other than RHCE thats worth anything?

I haven't posted in a long while. I have been away with work.

Thanks!

Comments

• veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    TechJunky wrote: »
    I have my Linux+, but I noticed today that there was a new exam in my testing centers, well, atleast new to me.

Is there a new Linux Certification other than RHCE thats worth anything?

I haven't posted in a long while. I have been away with work.

Thanks!

Well don't keep us in suspense, what was name of the exam?
  • NinjaBoyNinjaBoy Member Posts: 968
    Not sure if they are worth it (as I don't work with Linux), but another cert vendor for Linux certs is the LPI.

-Ken
  • davidspirovalentinedavidspirovalentine Member Posts: 353 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The LPI stuff is good, definitely a step above the Linux+.

I will end up heading there just to get Ubuntu certified Professional if nothing more. I believe they have 3 levels currently,

I don't know how they 'map' to the RHCE or Linux+ because I havent experienced them yet, maybe someone reading this post with more experience with both certifications could tell us his/her view (hint, hint).

Regards,
    David
    Failure is a stepping stone to success...
  • petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    Well don't keep us in suspense, what was name of the exam?

Amen to that!

Until the Linux market shakes out a bit more (or settles, however you want to look at it) I'd like to see a few more exams developed.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • TechJunkyTechJunky Member Posts: 881
    It's called JK0-011 E2C/Jobs+ Linux+ Certification

Is this a combined certification?
  • matradleymatradley Member Posts: 549
    TechJunky wrote: »

That's the exam that is used for those who are on the education voucher plan. Some colleges/universities offer discounts to their students. I imagine that the "jobs" part if for businesses that subscribe into the same plan.
    From Security+ book by Sybex:
    "One of the nice things about technology is that it's always changing. One of the bad things about technology is that it's always changing."
  • UnixGeekUnixGeek Member Posts: 151
    The LPI stuff is good, definitely a step above the Linux+.

I will end up heading there just to get Ubuntu certified Professional if nothing more. I believe they have 3 levels currently,

I don't know how they 'map' to the RHCE or Linux+ because I havent experienced them yet, maybe someone reading this post with more experience with both certifications could tell us his/her view (hint, hint).

Regards,
    David

I'm going the LPI route in part for the Ubuntu cert as well. That, and as expensive as the RHCE exam is, I'd rather wait until RHEL 6 comes out to sit it. LPI will be a warm up. :)
  • Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    UnixGeek wrote: »
    I'm going the LPI route in part for the Ubuntu cert as well. That, and as expensive as the RHCE exam is, I'd rather wait until RHEL 6 comes out to sit it. LPI will be a warm up. :)

May I ask why LPIC over L+. I am trying to make the same decision and I have landed on the L+ side. Why? Because people know what the L+ is?
  • TechJunkyTechJunky Member Posts: 881
    Linux+ has been around a while.. So typically more people understand what it is and its value. I couldn't say the same for LPIC. It's been around shorter, it may test more knowledge but most managers wouldnt know that or HR drones.
    knwminus wrote: »
    May I ask why LPIC over L+. I am trying to make the same decision and I have landed on the L+ side. Why? Because people know what the L+ is?

My understanding is that LPIC is more in depth, and that the Ubuntu exam takes it a step further.

I took the Linux+ beta (waiting for results), and was disappointed by how basic the material was.
    My understanding is that LPIC is more in depth, and that the Ubuntu exam takes it a step further.

I took the Linux+ beta (waiting for results), and was disappointed by how basic the material was.

As far as linux exams go I have heard it is pretty basic but do you think lpic is "known" enough to help you career?
    As far as linux exams go I have heard it is pretty basic but do you think lpic is "known" enough to help you career?

Interesting question. I'm actually more interested in the Ubuntu Certified Professional than LPIC. The reason is, Ubuntu's market share is growing fast. Roughly half of the servers that I work with are Red Hat based, and around a quarter are Debian based. On the Debian side, Ubuntu Certified Professional is the most relevant certification that I'm aware of.

My customers and potentials are generally not very concerned with certifications. My primary motivation is to apply some structured learning to a field that I've been learning ad-hoc as projects arose, or something interested me for the past decade. Any benefits that result from HR recognizing the certifications are a bonus, rather than the main objective.
    Interesting question. I'm actually more interested in the Ubuntu Certified Professional than LPIC. The reason is, Ubuntu's market share is growing fast. Roughly half of the servers that I work with are Red Hat based, and around a quarter are Debian based. On the Debian side, Ubuntu Certified Professional is the most relevant certification that I'm aware of.

My customers and potentials are generally not very concerned with certifications. My primary motivation is to apply some structured learning to a field that I've been learning ad-hoc as projects arose, or something interested me for the past decade. Any benefits that result from HR recognizing the certifications are a bonus, rather than the main objective.

You have said what I needed to hear.
    My think is as an aspiring linux/unix admin/engineer I need HR folks to know what every cert means so I can get ahead. If you are already working in the *nix field that probably wouldn't mean as much to you...no?
  • davidspirovalentinedavidspirovalentine Member Posts: 353 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm sorry if i'm the only person that believe this but... The Ubuntu Certified Professional logo is the sexiest iv'e seen! Having that logo at the end of my email signature is 50% of why I want it!!! The other 50% is outlined by Unix_Geek above.

@Unix_Geek: You are right about debian and its market share, a whole lot of people here use debian over redhat based distros, why? Beats me... on that note, are there any other linux certs out there that are strictly debian based? If there are, I dont know any of them, not yet though...

Regards,
    David
    Failure is a stepping stone to success...
    You have said what I needed to hear.
    My think is as an aspiring linux/unix admin/engineer I need HR folks to know what every cert means so I can get ahead. If you are already working in the *nix field that probably wouldn't mean as much to you...no?

I think that's a reasonable assessment all around. I would just add that if you're looking for something entry level, and Linux/Unix are your primary interests, I would follow Linux+ up with a lot more training, with LPIC's exam outlines being one potential path. If Linux is more of a secondary focus for you, Linux+ may do the trick by itself.
    I'm sorry if i'm the only person that believe this but... The Ubuntu Certified Professional logo is the sexiest iv'e seen! Having that logo at the end of my email signature is 50% of why I want it!!! The other 50% is outlined by Unix_Geek above.

@Unix_Geek: You are right about debian and its market share, a whole lot of people here use debian over redhat based distros, why? Beats me... on that note, are there any other linux certs out there that are strictly debian based? If there are, I dont know any of them, not yet though...

Regards,
    David

I just had to Google for the logo. That would look nice on the biz card when I'm walking into a shop that I know uses Ubuntu.

http://jonathancarter.co.za/wp-content/uploads/pict0063_blog.JPG

I used to be a Debian snob, probably because the first substantial Linux project that I worked on used it, but these days I'm equally happy to work with either branch. It's the Windows boxes that drive me nuts. icon_lol.gif
    I think that's a reasonable assessment all around. I would just add that if you're looking for something entry level, and Linux/Unix are your primary interests, I would follow Linux+ up with a lot more training, with LPIC's exam outlines being one potential path. If Linux is more of a secondary focus for you, Linux+ may do the trick by itself.

My plan for next year (as far as*nix is concerned ) is L+ and SCSAS/SCSA. LPIC-1/UCP/2 could get thrown in there and the L+ could get replaced by LPIC-1. I just don't know about how much return I can get from LPIC because they are not known very much. My goal however is to have LPIC-2 level knowledge by the end of the year.
  • disidisi Member Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Who says here the Linux+ is older than the LPIC?
    LPI was formally incorporated as a Canadian non-profit in October 25, 1999
    In 1999 I haven't even heard of CompTIA :D

The LPIC is more techy than the Linux+ and a totally different approch, there is less multiply choice and more question there you have to type the command into a field. It is also a non profit organisation...
    You can actually attend to Labs on some exhibitions to do the LPIC tests cheaper and I know a lot of real Linux geeks who failed. There are usually no braindumps like for Linux+.
  • SteelySteely Member Posts: 28 ■□□□□□□□□□
    matradley wrote: »
    That's the exam that is used for those who are on the education voucher plan. Some colleges/universities offer discounts to their students. I imagine that the "jobs" part if for businesses that subscribe into the same plan.
    Originally Posted by TechJunky View Post

I'm scheduled to take that exam in September. Is that exam the Linux+ 2009 version or the old 2004 (I think) version? The school receptionist who sold me the voucher couldn't expand on that. Any response will be greatly appreciated.
  • ally_ukally_uk Member Posts: 1,145 ■■■■□□□□□□
    When does the new Linux+ exam go live? are there any books out there that will cover the new material? Many Thanks
    Microsoft's strategy to conquer the I.T industry

" Embrace, evolve, extinguish "
  • steve13adsteve13ad Member Posts: 398 ■■■■□□□□□□
    ally_uk wrote: »
    When does the new Linux+ exam go live? are there any books out there that will cover the new material? Many Thanks

It's live right now. You can get discounted vouchers from Comptia
    And what is everyone using to study for it?

• bsddaemon0bsddaemon0 Member Posts: 52 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I took Linux+ a few years ago and the LPI-1 exams last year. LPI is a little above Linux+. The downside is there is not much study material specifically for it.
    Are they going to release a book that covers both the Linux+ and LPIC-1?? or does such thing exist already?

• steve13adsteve13ad Member Posts: 398 ■■■■□□□□□□
    ally_uk wrote: »
    Are they going to release a book that covers both the Linux+ and LPIC-1?? or does such thing exist already?

I'm sure there is so much overlap between the two that if you using LPIC material you'd be ok. At least until an approved study guide comes out, anyways.
    steve13ad wrote: »
    I'm sure there is so much overlap between the two that if you using LPIC material you'd be ok. At least until an approved study guide comes out, anyways.

The new linux+ has the same objectives as the current LPIC-1. So it is safe to say they are basically the same test. Any LPIC-1 material would be ok for the "Linux+" as well.
  • Toby963Toby963 Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    matradley wrote: »

Hi
    I am a newbie to Linux and have had the chance to take a course, which offers a discount on the exam, with the code JKO-011.
    Can anyone please tell me what exactly the equivalent is to, is it Linux+ etc.
    Being new to Linux exams, I would not like to start studying some material only to find out that I have gone down the wrong road.

Any pointer would be very helpful.

Toby963