Need Advice on how to handle this?

stephens316stephens316 Member Posts: 203 ■■■■□□□□□□
Since I was Terminated from my job explanation below, but how should I go about addressing it the interview???
Explanation of Termination from Pavlov Media.

When I first started this job I was excited not knowing much about the company. I did know the job was related to Information Technology. The first six months with the company were the best. My job dealt with mostly customer service but there was more to the company. I grew interest in the networking side of the company, my skills in networking weren’t the greatest, but I had a will to learn. I was taught a lot about networks from people in the company. As time grew on there were some changes made. Around January 2009 some people that had got to know and trust were leaving the company. At the company Christmas Meeting was announced that the company must make a profit this year (2009) or cut backs would happen. Before that I had learned that this company didn’t have the best reputation with its customers. I was always courteous and willing to help the customers.

The last three months with company I was looking for an out to get out of the company as products changed and I was not apt to pressure a customer into a sale, or something that they would get stuck with. I did not agree with how the company was being run at this point. I tried moving within the company into more of the networking support field, but came up short. So I started looking for other jobs. I still was a productive member of the team. I kept most of my frustrations to myself as it didn’t seem as it was going to get fixed.

I had to work the weekend leading up to the day I was fired. On Saturday I was working for the company from a remote location while helping with something else I had to help with. Everything was going smoothly, and then there was a problem with the software I was using. The software would not allow me to type in the interface. This has happened the only way to fix the problem is to restart the application this it would disconnect the customer.

When going over the weekend operations with my boss he found this question me about this and wrote me a final warning because of other errors I had made he also question me about this and I explained it to him. He said okay. Well two hours later he came and got me and took me to Human Resources and said we are terminating you. I was like for what he said for lying. Then I proceeded to ask for proof but he would not provide it. I was really upset at this point.

I filed a claim with Unemployment for wrongful termination. They investigated the claim and could not find that I had did anything wrong that would warrant termination.

Approximately, two weeks after I was let go they let four to five more people without cause. This leaves me to believe they were looking for any reason to get rid of anyone. While I am not proud of this it hurt my character and self esteem. I try to be up front and honest with just about everything I do.
Free Reading : History Books

Comments

• Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Since I was Terminated from my job explanation below, but how should I go about addressing it the interview???

When I first started this job I was excited not knowing much about the company. I did know the job was related to Information Technology. The first six months with the company were the best. My job dealt with mostly customer service but there was more to the company. I grew interest in the networking side of the company, my skills in networking weren’t the greatest, but I had a will to learn. I was taught a lot about networks from people in the company. As time grew on there were some changes made. Around January 2009 some people that had got to know and trust were leaving the company. At the company Christmas Meeting was announced that the company must make a profit this year (2009) or cut backs would happen. Before that I had learned that this company didn’t have the best reputation with its customers. I was always courteous and willing to help the customers.

The last three months with company I was looking for an out to get out of the company as products changed and I was not apt to pressure a customer into a sale, or something that they would get stuck with. I did not agree with how the company was being run at this point. I tried moving within the company into more of the networking support field, but came up short. So I started looking for other jobs. I still was a productive member of the team. I kept most of my frustrations to myself as it didn’t seem as it was going to get fixed.

I had to work the weekend leading up to the day I was fired. On Saturday I was working for the company from a remote location while helping with something else I had to help with. Everything was going smoothly, and then there was a problem with the software I was using. The software would not allow me to type in the interface. This has happened the only way to fix the problem is to restart the application this it would disconnect the customer.

When going over the weekend operations with my boss he found this question me about this and wrote me a final warning because of other errors I had made he also question me about this and I explained it to him. He said okay. Well two hours later he came and got me and took me to Human Resources and said we are terminating you. I was like for what he said for lying. Then I proceeded to ask for proof but he would not provide it. I was really upset at this point.

I filed a claim with Unemployment for wrongful termination. They investigated the claim and could not find that I had did anything wrong that would warrant termination.

Approximately, two weeks after I was let go they let four to five more people without cause. This leaves me to believe they were looking for any reason to get rid of anyone. While I am not proud of this it hurt my character and self esteem. I try to be up front and honest with just about everything I do.

I think the way you explained it was very well. I think if it comes up in an interview, however you should just say that there were some issues at the company and you were termed. I would then say that unemployment said you were wrongfully termed. I think that you should try to keep the details of the entire situation as vague as possible in order to avoid looking like you are trying to bad mouth the former company.
  • In todays economy, hiring managers are not as concerned with unemployed people as they used to. Just tell them that the company let you and several other people go, I would not go into the details unless asked and then pull out the unemployment letter stating you did nothing wrong. Don't bash the other company it never looks good to a prospective hiring manager. Also, if the company that fired you has the bad reputation you mentioned, others will know it without you saying it.

Good luck keep your head up
    Go EVERTON

evertonfc-crest.gif
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■

I'm really sorry to hear that. Revise the resume and get it on CareerBuilder and Monster. You will do fine.
  • RumpelRumpel Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I think the way you explained it was very well. I think if it comes up in an interview, however you should just say that there were some issues at the company and you were termed. I would then say that unemployment said you were wrongfully termed. I think that you should try to keep the details of the entire situation as vague as possible in order to avoid looking like you are trying to bad mouth the former company.

I second that.
  • TstarksTstarks Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm really sorry to hear this! It does sound like your manager had an agenda to terminate you for whatever reason and was determined to write you up regardless of the fact. I'm curious, you mentioned that he issued a final warning letter after the last error (fabricated?). Did he issue an ealier warning letter before the final warning letter?

You've clearly been wronged and will function better in a more conducive environment where your talents and efforts will be recognized and rewarded. It's very unfortunate that this event has now caused you to have to deal with explaining the reason for your departure from that company, but as others have said, try to keep it simple and don't engage in bad mouthing in any form.

That being said, you'll thrive in a better environment. Look at it this way, in a sense, they did you a favor (not the termination part obviously) by allowing you to find a "better fit" company where you won't have to deal with unethical practices and turmoil within the company, etc. Things will work out!!
  • Samurai004Samurai004 Member Posts: 68 ■■□□□□□□□□
    This will prove to be a great opportunity for you.icon_thumright.gif
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I want to express my thanks to everyone that is helping with this issue. I am glad this will prove to be a great opportunity for me as well. I have found this forum and have obtain three certifications since being let go, so I feel accomplished.

Once again Thanks to everyone.
    Free Reading : History Books