Took the CISSP exam this morning

jasonv1jasonv1 Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
While I didn't walk away with the feeling of dread that many seem to have (post test) in this forum I can't really render an opinion as to whether or not I passed. Figure that I know that I got the answer right on half of the questions, the rest are a toss up.

I am somewhat frustrated that some of the more awkward (read: frustrating) topics that I studied did not come up on the exam. The time spent studying those subjects would have been better spent studying the couple of topics that came up more often that I was expecting.

I guessed on about 6-9 percent of the questions; I am hoping those were all research questions.

My advice: make sure you have the most up to date study material out there. If I don't pass you can bet that I will buy the updated Shon Harris book in January.

There were 12 people taking it today, I was number 4 to finish. I spent just under 4 hours in all including a full second pass (re-read) on all questions and a third pass on about 5 questions I really had no idea on.

Now the waiting starts....

Comments

• JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    Good luck on your wait. Use the time to give your brain a break. drunken_smilie.gif
    jasonv1 wrote: »
    I am somewhat frustrated that some of the more awkward (read: frustrating) topics that I studied did not come up on the exam. The time spent studying those subjects would have been better spent studying the couple of topics that came up more often that I was expecting.
    You can't beat yourself up over stuff like that. Nobody knows what topics they will get on their exam. The primary reason to study for the CISSP is to increase your knowledge of InfoSec. All of the stuff you learned that wasn't on your exam is not wasted, and it is stuff you may never have learned otherwise.
  • AymanNadaAymanNada Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
    jasonv1 wrote: »
    While I didn't walk away with the feeling of dread that many seem to have (post test) in this forum I can't really render an opinion as to whether or not I passed. Figure that I know that I got the answer right on half of the questions, the rest are a toss up.

I guessed on about 6-9 percent of the questions; I am hoping those were all research questions.

My advice: make sure you have the most up to date study material out there. If I don't pass you can bet that I will buy the updated Shon Harris book in January.

There were 12 people taking it today, I was number 4 to finish. I spent just under 4 hours in all including a full second pass (re-read) on all questions and a third pass on about 5 questions I really had no idea on.

Now the waiting starts....

Jasonv,

Can you share with us what was your study Plan/Material?
    Good luck and I look forward to tell you "CONGRATULATIONS"
  • jasonv1jasonv1 Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Yeah, I know.

Worst case scenario is that if I have to take it again I think I have a much better idea of what to expect.

Thanks,

Jason

PS: Take a break? I'll be chewing fingernails until the test results come in.

JDMurray wrote: »
    Good luck on your wait. Use the time to give your brain a break. drunken_smilie.gif

You can't beat yourself up over stuff like that. Nobody knows what topics they will get on their exam. The primary reason to study for the CISSP is to increase your knowledge of InfoSec. All of the stuff you learned that wasn't on your exam is not wasted, and it is stuff you may never have learned otherwise.
    Thanks for the kind words!

My materials were cccure tests, the Shon Harris AIO book and associated tests, and the Shon Harris vids.

The weakest link was probably the practice tests; I think that they weren't difficult enough. Of course the issue could have been that I relied on them too much when it comes to identifying my weak spots.

Jason
    AymanNada wrote: »
    Jasonv,

Can you share with us what was your study Plan/Material?
    Good luck and I look forward to tell you "CONGRATULATIONS"
  • JDPisanoJDPisano Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Jasonv1 - Where did you take your exam? I took the exam this past Saturday in Ft. Lauderdale. Like you I am not sure whether I passed or not. I am not feeling great about it, but I have heard and read that is a pretty common feeling. Hoping I end up on the good side and do not have to retake the test. When did they tell you to expect the results? I heard approximately four week given it is near the end of the year.

Good luck. I hope the results are in your favor.

-Jp
    Raleigh, NC; they said results in 4-6 weeks. Of course I've also heard of results coming in 4 days to 2 weeks.

Lead proctor said his results went to his spam filter; they were there 3 days before he checked it.

I've already identified about 7 questions I know I answered incorrectly. I think it is going to come down to which of the questions I skipped on my first pass were research questions. Figure that was 30 or so questions where I couldn't come up with an answer I was happy with. Some of those I just didn't know; others were questions that I just didn't like. The latter were (I hope) research questions.

Good luck to you as well! I'll be sure to post when I get the results just so people know what the current wait time is. If you could do the same I (and the rest of the group) would appreciate it.

Jason

JDPisano wrote: »
    Jasonv1 - Where did you take your exam? I took the exam this past Saturday in Ft. Lauderdale. Like you I am not sure whether I passed or not. I am not feeling great about it, but I have heard and read that is a pretty common feeling. Hoping I end up on the good side and do not have to retake the test. When did they tell you to expect the results? I heard approximately four week given it is near the end of the year.

Good luck. I hope the results are in your favor.

-Jp
  • 240Sundeck240Sundeck Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I also took the exam in Raleigh on 11/14 and did not have a good feeling after finishing the test. I called ISC2 Registrar today to ask about the results and I was told, " you will receive an email within the next 4 weeks". They would not offer any additional information. No word yet.

FWIW, I read that ISC2 has signed an agreement with Computer-Based Testing Provider for Certification and Licensure Exams: Pearson VUE to host online exam testing for ISC2 in 2010.
    240Sundeck wrote: »
    FWIW, I read that ISC2 has signed an agreement with Computer-Based Testing Provider for Certification and Licensure Exams: Pearson VUE to host online exam testing for ISC2 in 2010.
    Yeah, the (ISC)2 is willing to sacrifice the credibility of their CSSLP cert to experiment with computer-based exams to reach more candidates more quickly. But not a lot of people have jumped on the CSSLP (including me), so I wonder how big their test pool will end up being. Maybe the exam will be discounted for this experiment to encourage people to take it.

Pearson VUE and (ISC)2® Sign Exclusive Contract to Deliver Computer-Based Information Security Exams Worldwide
  • cdupuiscdupuis Inactive Imported Users Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hang in there,

You will most likely get your results in less than 3 weeks.

It is hard to prepare for this exam because of the massive quantity of topics being covered.

Out of the 10 domains of the CBK it would be easy to come up with 3000 possible questions that could be asked. You are being testing only on a very small subset of the 10 domains.

I am sure you will do well

Best regards

Clement
    cdupuis wrote: »
    Best regards

Clement
    Hey Clement! Good to see you posting on TechExams! :D
  • ddoud71ddoud71 Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I hope you get the you passed email. I took it in Sept and I did not pass it. No sweat though. I know now what to expect and I am studying away and scheduled to retake it in January. I went ahead and got my Sec+ a few weeks ago since my company paid for my training and test. It was a good refresher and good prep for the beast of the CISSP. But the was way easier.

Good luck bro let us know the results.

Darren
    Suck It Up and Go For It!!

Darren
  • unsupportedunsupported Member Posts: 192
    JDMurray wrote: »
    Hey Clement! Good to see you posting on TechExams! :D

Clement was probably reviewing the HTTP referring information on cccure.org and saw a lot of people coming from here. :)
    -un

“We build our computer (systems) the way we build our cities: over time, without a plan, on top of ruins” - Ellen Ullman
  • vierivieri Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hey guys -

New to this forum, glad to see that it's around.

I also took my CISSP exam on 11/14 of this year in Northern Virginia with about 125 others at the same time. I'm assuming some of them were taking other exams however most were CISSP from the sheer number of exams they were alternating in the large section of the room.

I still haven't received information regarding my result, and we're approaching 4 weeks. I'd say it has something to do with the Thanksgiving holiday? I don't know, but it would be nice to have some kind of reassurance ;)

- Vieri
  • tlawtlaw Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Wow, looks like a lot of us took the exam on 11/14. I took it in Herndon Virginia after my CISSP boot camp and still awaiting results also. Hoping not to get a failure email from isc2 on xmas eve! icon_redface.gif
    Just received an email reply from ISC2 and was told that "At this time those exams have not been scored." Was also told that it can take up to 6 weeks from initial test date for results. Guess we will have to keep waiting =)
  • laidbackfreaklaidbackfreak Member Posts: 991
    Hang in there guys, the results will come but it sucks waiting.
    if I say something that can be taken one of two ways and one of them offends, I usually mean the other one :-)
  • JDPisanoJDPisano Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I received my pass notice yesterday morning at 9:30AM Eastern. Now on to the endorsement... The email said it takes 2-3 weeks before I am officially certified. Fun times!!!!

Good luck to everyone who took the exam on the same day!!!
    I received my pass notice yesterday morning at 9:30AM Eastern. Now on to the endorsement... The email said it takes 2-3 weeks before I am officially certified. Fun times!!!!

Good luck to everyone who took the exam on the same day!!!

Congrats man! I also received my email yesterday morning, but i was one of the lucky fews that did not get the magical pass email. Looks like i have more studying to do! Congrats to all those that passed also!
    I received my pass notice yesterday morning at 9:30AM Eastern. Now on to the endorsement..]

Congrats icon_smile.gif
    if I say something that can be taken one of two ways and one of them offends, I usually mean the other one :-)
    tlaw wrote: »
    I also received my email yesterday morning, but i was one of the lucky fews that did not get the magical pass email. Looks like i have more studying to do!!

gutted for you icon_sad.gif any ideas when you'll resit?
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congrats man! I also received my email yesterday morning, but i was one of the lucky fews that did not get the magical pass email. Looks like i have more studying to do! Congrats to all those that passed also!

Bummer, I hope your next try works out for you icon_sad.gif
    gutted for you icon_sad.gif any ideas when you'll resit?

Probably during 2nd quarter next year. Going to take the SANS webinar this time around. Hopefully the 6 weeks worth of classes will help me fill in the missing info i need to pass this time. icon_study.gif
  • tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□

I had to retake mine before also so don't let it get you down. First time I took it I went in there with a know it all attitude and forgot how hard it is for me to sit still for long periods of time even with breaks.
  • greengoatgreengoat Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I took the cissp test yesterday and now begins the waitng.... I too also have the sinking feeling that I didn't do as well as i could have, but we'll see. I think I did pretty well, but some of the questions kinda caught me off guard, I too came across some questions that were no where near what I had spent time on. I also made the mistake of not having the most updated material available. If I didn't pass this time I will the next time!!!!!

I'm going to continue with my studies until I get notification one way or another. So with being said, does anyone have any suggestions on what is the best study material out threre.

I wish I could attend some classes but I can't afford the cost, since my company won't foot the bill' so everything comes out of my pocket, including the test and cost to travel to a testing site, I live in the middle of no where so I have to drive anywhere from 3 - 12 hours just to test icon_sad.gif.

Well good luck to all and grats to those who have passed.
  • greengoatgreengoat Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    *** UPDATE*** icon_cheers.gif Passed icon_cheers.gif, just got the email. Good Luck to all taking the test.
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    greengoat wrote: »
    *** UPDATE*** icon_cheers.gif Passed icon_cheers.gif, just got the email.
    Wait? What? I thought they tortured, er, made you wait longer than this...

Congratulations!! icon_cheers.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
    greengoat wrote: »
    *** UPDATE*** icon_cheers.gif Passed icon_cheers.gif, just got the email. Good Luck to all taking the test.

well done mate icon_smile.gif