Boot process

entzillaentzilla Member Posts: 141
Do you need to know the files that aren't required, but may be included, in any Windows boot process?
CompTIA A+ Certified - July 5th, 2005

Comments

• /usr/usr Member Posts: 1,768
    It's been so long since I've taken this...

I would, just for good measure, but someone else may tell you different.
  • entzillaentzilla Member Posts: 141
    Thanks. The OS seems a lot more tough to get an understanding of. I was looking for a new book (I really don't like the one I was using before), but I don't want an All In One book because I've all ready completed the Core Hardware test. Any suggestions on some good material? Or maybe some websites with charts of all the boot processes/registry files/DOS commands?
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/offer-listing/0072229918/qid=1108740915/sr=8-2/ref=xs_ap_bun2_xgl14_a//103-0546176-7481441?condition=all

You can get the All-In-One for $29.99. I'm not familiar with any books which prepare you just for the OS, though if you find any you'll probably pay $30 or more. I would consider the All-In-One. You can always use it for a nice reference book after you pass the exam, which you will do after reading it. icon_wink.gif
    Heh, I should've phrased that better. I meant a book that has the Core Hardware and OS Technologies exams divided so each has their own section of the book.

I may be wrong, but isn't an All In One book a straight through read where it is all combined? I thought they were written so a person can easily read it and then go take both exams at the same time.
    They are, but they are also divided by exam. The first half of the book is one, then the last half is the other. I read the older version of this same book, by the same author, for my exam. It's an excellent resource and very easy to understand. If your concern is that you'll have to read the whole thing and pick out the information you're looking for, don't worry, you won't have to.

Unless they have changed it, but I highly doubt it. icon_wink.gif
    Ah, I didn't know that, thanks a lot. I have also heard that another Mike Myers book, A+ Passport I believe, is very good as well. I just have to decide which one to purchase.
    I don't know what the difference is between the Passport book and the All-In-One. If I had to guess, I would say that the Passport is more of a review and the All-In-One is comprehensive. I may be wrong though.

I would personally get the All-In-One. It makes a nice reference when you need to look back on something.
    I bought the All In One book yesterday, but at the bookstore for $60. icon_eek.gif
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Technology books are not cheap. You may in the future try searching for used ones of the current release - that way you won't take such a hit.

I like this site for used, slightly used, new and hard to find.

The passport series I really like, and recommend. I would agree that it is less comprehensive and wouldn't be the first book of choice to being a new topic, but certainly one to use shortly before an exam.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • stndrd_123stndrd_123 Member Posts: 113
    I used the all in one and then I used the passport - If I remeber correctly the passport was a copy and paste book of the all in one. So just stick with the all in one that you just bought and then skim over it afain after a first read, then it'll be just like reading the passport. Note: for anybody else; the a+ passport book isn't bad by itself, just don't get both.
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    I disagree. They are both very good and target different readiness of the candidate.

The All-in-One is great for someone just starting new into the material, but just before the test the Passport books provide a slightly different perpective as well as the are enjoyable to read.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • stndrd_123stndrd_123 Member Posts: 113
    I didn't mean the passport is bad book, it's a good book but if you already have the all-in-one you do not need the passport because all they did was delete some paragraphs that were in the all-in-one. My opinion is they are both great books by themselves, but are redundent info if used together. I agree that they are each suited to a specific readers knowledge of a+ objectives, therefore if you a new to it then get the all-in-one, if your experienced you could get by with the passport.
  • porengoporengo Member Posts: 343
    The All-In-One is a good choice. However, I also used ExamCram 2 right before my exam. It helped to refresh my memory, and also helped to clarify areas I was gray in.

Then again, there's always Technotes! icon_wink.gif