Options

Need A Book

GawdGawd Member Posts: 132
Hey,
Can anyone recommend a good Linux Book? Im pick something up this weekend.

Thanks,

Gawd

Comments

• Options
    /usr/usr Member Posts: 1,768
    A good book for Linux+ or a good book for Linux in general?
  • Options
    Either, im not completly sure if Im gonna go for Linux+, or one of the other linux certs. But I would prefer a book not directed at a specific Distro.

;)
    Thanks,

Gawd
  • Options
    As a suggestion, I would suggest the LPI certs. Not that I have experience with either, but I would assume the LPI certs are more recognized, plus you can always climb the ladder if you like them since there is more than one.

I'm not familar with any general linux books. Though if you're going to learn, I would suggest Slackware. You'll learn a lot by the time you have it up and running. icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    ;)
    Slackware is what I always use when I wanna mess around with linux.
    I just setup slack 10.1 a home, So ill be playing around with that this weekend.

Gawd
  • Options
    It's a pretty good distro. You get a lot of experience setting things up. I used Blackbox as my GUI, so I learned how to edit text files quickly. icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Our *nix guru is a total fan of Debian for about 90% or our clients needs with the rest being SuSe
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007
  • Options
    xetrevxetrev Member Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I have been using unix since i was 13, i started on slackware then to gentoo then i tried redhat but i have to say i love debian the best!
  • Options
    Back to the original subject.. ;) Does anyone got a recommendation for a book? Only one thats caught my attention so far is the Linux Bible 2005 Edition.

Gawd
  • Options
    hc2abhc2ab Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
    the test is very general. any text book will do.

just make sure you cross check with the test objective.

when in doubt use sybex.
  • Options
    Either way, I would get a book for your favorite distro instead of an all around book. A distro specific book will most likely teach you the basics, as well as make you proficient with one specific OS.

Just my opinion.
  • Options
    Hmm.. I cant find a good slackware book.
    What would be another good 'hardcore' distro?

Thanks,

Gawd