Voice question. Two phones one line ?

Please excuse my ignorance of the current voice technology. I know nothing about voice, except the configuation of QoS on catalyst switches, and NBAR on routers.

With that said, i have a question. Can i hook up two Cisco IP phones on one phone line ? Like have the phone line connected to the FXO (idk) port of a router, and a router connected to the switch, and two phones connected to the switch. Can both phones use the same line ? how does this process work ? thanks.

Im pretty sure that how the companies have it. ( phone line for multiple phones). but just making sure..

again, sorry for the ignorance
NHSCA National All-American Wrestler 135lb

Comments

• kryollakryolla Member Posts: 785
    lildeezul wrote: »
    Please excuse my ignorance of the current voice technology. I know nothing about voice, except the configuation of QoS on catalyst switches, and NBAR on routers.

With that said, i have a question. Can i hook up two Cisco IP phones on one phone line ? Like have the phone line connected to the FXO (idk) port of a router, and a router connected to the switch, and two phones connected to the switch. Can both phones use the same line ? how does this process work ? thanks.

Im pretty sure that how the companies have it. ( phone line for multiple phones). but just making sure..

IP phones gets connected to switches and the FXO and FXS Ports are for analog phones. I know for analog you can daisy chain the phones together so they share the same line but only 1 person can use it. For IP phones that might be hard. Also the phone line going out to Central Office or the wall jack at home which goes to CO only supports 1 call so most company have T1's going to CO which supports 24 calls per T1.
    Studying for CCIE and drinking Home Brew
  • peanutnogginpeanutnoggin Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Lildeezul,

If I'm understanding your questions correctly, then yes you can configure multiple phones to ring on one line. You just have to setup your ephone-dn to have dual-lines and configure your buttons correctly.

In some notes I was taking... I have something jotted down to this effect...

Create the ephone:

router(config)# ephone-dn 1 dual-line
    router(config-ephone-dn)# number 1001 ******1001 is the extension number
    router(config-ephone-dn)# exit
    router(config)# ephone-dn 2 dual-line
    router(config-ephone-dn)# number 1001
    router(config)# ephone 1
    router(config-ephone)# button 1:1
    router(config-ephone)# restart
    router(config-ephone)# exit
    router(config)# ephone 2
    router(config-ephone)# button 1:2

I think that's it... when I get home... i'll lab it up to make sure it works. You'll also have to configure the huntstops and preferences to fine tune the way you wanted the phone to ring and who can answer it... but I'm sure someone far smarter on this topic can attest to that. HTH.

V/r

~Peanut
    We cannot have a superior democracy with an inferior education system!

-Mayor Cory Booker
  • pitviperpitviper Member Posts: 1,376 ■■■■■■■□□□

Create the ephone:

router(config)# ephone-dn 1 dual-line
    router(config-ephone-dn)# number 1001 ******1001 is the extension number
    router(config)# ephone-dn 2 dual-line
    router(config-ephone-dn)# number 1001
    router(config)# ephone 1
    router(config-ephone)# button 1:1
    router(config)# ephone 2

This will yield weird hunting results – like sometimes one phone will ring and sometimes another – I think it’s technically a round-robin action, one then the other, and so on. If you want both of the phones to ring and not hunt from one to another, best to assign the same DN to a button on each phone (or use an overlay).

Voice-port 0/0/0
    connection plar 1001
    ephone-dn 1 dual-line
    number 1001
    ephone-dn 2 dual-line
    number 1002
    ephone-dn 3 dual-line
    number 1003
    ephone 1
    button 1:2, 2:1
    ephone 2
    button 1:3, 2:1

But yeah, 1 FXO trunk means 1 simultaneous connection to the PSTN (inbound or out)
    CCNP:Collaboration, CCNP:R&S, CCNA:S, CCNA:V, CCNA, CCENT
  • peanutnogginpeanutnoggin Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Pitviper,

Thanks... for the clarification.

V/r

~Peanut
    We cannot have a superior democracy with an inferior education system!

-Mayor Cory Booker
  • hermeszdatahermeszdata Member Posts: 225
    I am having the same issue when using 7910 phones. I have tried several things without success.

Configs:
    !this routes all incoming calls to ext 1001
    voice-port 1/0/0
    ring number 3
    connection plar opx 1001
    caller-id enable
    !
    {Output Cut}
    !
    telephony-service
    load 7910 P00405000700
    max-ephones 10
    max-dn 30
    ip source-address 10.10.11.194 port 2000
    service phone SEP00044D0770A9 P00405000700
    system message Hermesz.lcl VoIP
    create cnf-files version-stamp Jan 01 2002 00:00:00
    max-conferences 4 gain -6
    moh music-on-hold.au
    dn-webedit
    time-webedit
    transfer-system full-consult
    secondary-dialtone 9
    directory entry 1 1001 name {My Phone}
    directory entry 2 1002 name {Wife's Phone}
    directory entry 3 1003 name Lab 1
    directory entry 4 1004 name Lab 2
    directory entry 5 1005 name Lab 3
    !
    !
    ephone-dn 1 dual-line
    number 1001
    pickup-group 1
    label John's Office
    description Office
    name 1001
    call-forward busy 1002
    call-forward noan 1003 timeout 30
    hold-alert 30 originator
    !
    !
    !
    ephone 1
    mac-address 0004.4D07.70A9
    type 7910
    button 1:1
    !
    !
    !
    ephone 2
    mac-address 0004.4D07.647C
    type 7910
    button 1:2
    !

When I try the suggested ephone button config, I get:

HermeszVoIP(config-ephone)#button 1:2, 2:1
    invalid input button parameter pair 2

What am I missing?
    John
    Current Progress:
    Studying:
    CCNA Security - 60%, CCNA Wireless - 80%, ROUTE - 10% (Way behind due to major Wireless Project)
    Exams Passed:
    CCNA - 640-802 - 17 Jan 2011 -- CVOICE v6 - 642-436 - 28 Feb 2011
    2011 Goals
    CCNP/CCNP:Voice
  • mikem2temikem2te Member Posts: 407
    I don't think the 7910 phones have mulitple 'buttons' so can only support one dn.

I know 7940s and 7960s can support 2 and 6 buttons respectively, have you got Cicso's computer based soft phone? It's good for testing out these scenarios.
    Blog : http://www.caerffili.co.uk/

Previous : Passed Configuring Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007 (70-630)
    Currently : EIGRP & OSPF
    Next : CCNP Route
    mikem2te wrote: »
    I don't think the 7910 phones have mulitple 'buttons' so can only support one dn.

I know 7940s and 7960s can support 2 and 6 buttons respectively, have you got Cicso's computer based soft phone? It's good for testing out these scenarios.

I was afraid of that. Couldn't really find anything in the docs.

Don't have the software.

Is there a way to set the configs so incoming calls can ring on all phones (7910) without having to use the same ephone-dn? Can't afford to buy new phones at this time (at least until I sell some of my "Spare" cisco equip. I have enough extra to set up at least 2 additional Voice labs aside from what I need for my own purposes)

John
    John
    Current Progress:
    Studying:
    CCNA Security - 60%, CCNA Wireless - 80%, ROUTE - 10% (Way behind due to major Wireless Project)
    Exams Passed:
    2011 Goals
  • tha_dubtha_dub Member Posts: 262
    kryolla wrote: »
    IP phones gets connected to switches and the FXO and FXS Ports are for analog phones. I know for analog you can daisy chain the phones together so they share the same line but only 1 person can use it. For IP phones that might be hard. Also the phone line going out to Central Office or the wall jack at home which goes to CO only supports 1 call so most company have T1's going to CO which supports 24 calls per T1.

Just to clarify the T1 remark.

An in band T1 hdsl does support 24 simultaneous calls however the vast majority of customers go for a PRI HDSL which uses out of band signaling. 23 voice channels one "D" data channel = 24. The main reason for this is speed. The pri sends and receives calls much faster and I suppose the theory is that losing the one channel to data is worth the extra speed. Also if you have multiple T1's you do not necessarily need to have a dedicated D channel for each one.

After much reading and headaches, I found a solution that should work for any IP phone type!

The basic idea is to have a number of phones ring when there is an incoming call. In my situation, I only have one POTS line. I have 5 7910s, which as mentioned before is a "One Button" phone and I wqant the incoming calls to ring at 3 of the extensions. Therefore, the button 2:* is not an option.

My voice-port config is:
    !
    voice-port 1/0/0
    connection plar opx 1000
    caller-id enable
    !
    This directs all incoming calls to ext 1000 (NOTE: DO NOT set up this extension with an ephone-dn)

Within CME 4.1 (and precious versions I would guess) under the Configure Extensions tab you set up your extension parameters. the primary extension # and various labels. In the advanced section, set the Secondary Number to the "opx #" specified under your voice-port CLI.

Viewing the sh run for the ephone-dn shows the CLI

Mine:
    !
    ephone-dn 1 dual-line
    number 1001 secondary 1000
    label John's Office
    description John's Office
    name John's Office
    preference 0 secondary 1
    no huntstop
    hold-alert 30 shared
    !
    (I have additional ephone-dn(s) set up the same way with only the first # changing, i.e. 1002, 1003, etc)

and the ephone # (in my case 1-5):
    !
    ephone 1
    mac-address 0004.4D07.70A9
    type 7910
    button 1:1
    !

With this configuration, when I receive an incoming call on the POTS line, All phones with an secondary # of 1000 will ring indicating a call an my be picked up, transferred, put on hold and terminated by any active phone connected to that call!

icon_cheers.gif

John
    CCNA in progress // CCNA CVOICE in progress
    John
    Current Progress:
    Studying:
    Exams Passed:
    2011 Goals
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Two phones one line?

Telecom pr0n?