Options

Security+ Passed!

lineline Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey everyone, been reading the forums for a long time and figured I would chime in.

Just passed Security+ today,

Thoughts;

Was overall harder than I was anticipating. Some questions were blatantly obvious while others were a bit far left field. I would definitely say it was a bit more challenging than A+ and about on par with Net+ for me.

Sudy Material;

Mike Meyers' Certification Passport - CompTIA Security+ 2nd Edition
Que ExamCram - CompTIA Security+ 2nd Edition
MeasureUp SY0-201 CD Practice Tests (included with Que ExamCram Book)
TechExams.net Security+ Notes
PrepLogic Security+ Audiobook .mp3's

Mike Meyers' book made concepts easy to understand but lacked a little on detail and functionality of the concepts.

ExamCram picked up and went into much more detail of the concepts. I am very glad I read Mike Meyers' book first to get an understanding and THEN ExamCram to dig deep.

Tips?

I would definitely take the time to know sync and async encryptions inside and out, as well as how they all function. Which use public keys, private keys. How each does or does not provide integrity, non-repudiation and how each auth's each other (mutual, sigs, ect.)

Have a good understanding of the OSI model and where IPsec falls into it as well as how IPsec functions.

I did not encounter any questions dealing with any form of best use of subnetting. I did encounter a few questions on virtualization that I dont remember covering in the security+ books. Kinda pulled those answers out of arse to be honest.

Cheers!

Comments

• Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    line wrote: »
    Hey everyone, been reading the forums for a long time and figured I would chime in.

Just passed Security+ today,

Thoughts;

Was overall harder than I was anticipating. Some questions were blatantly obvious while others were a bit far left field. I would definitely say it was a bit more challenging than A+ and about on par with Net+ for me.

Sudy Material;

Mike Meyers' Certification Passport - CompTIA Security+ 2nd Edition
    Que ExamCram - CompTIA Security+ 2nd Edition
    MeasureUp SY0-201 CD Practice Tests (included with Que ExamCram Book)
    TechExams.net Security+ Notes
    PrepLogic Security+ Audiobook .mp3's

Mike Meyers' book made concepts easy to understand but lacked a little on detail and functionality of the concepts.

ExamCram picked up and went into much more detail of the concepts. I am very glad I read Mike Meyers' book first to get an understanding and THEN ExamCram to dig deep.

Tips?

I would definitely take the time to know sync and async encryptions inside and out, as well as how they all function. Which use public keys, private keys. How each does or does not provide integrity, non-repudiation and how each auth's each other (mutual, sigs, ect.)

Have a good understanding of the OSI model and where IPsec falls into it as well as how IPsec functions.

I did not encounter any questions dealing with any form of best use of subnetting. I did encounter a few questions on virtualization that I dont remember covering in the security+ books. Kinda pulled those answers out of arse to be honest.

Cheers!

Welcome to TE and congrats on the pass! I took it yesterday and like you was surprised by how hard the test is. I was also surprised by how many questions threw out topics I had never heard before.
  • Options
    mrmcmintmrmcmint Member Posts: 492 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass!!!
  • Options
    DarrilDarril Member Posts: 1,588
    Congratulations and thanks for the post.

Darril Gibson
    Author: CompTIA Security+: Get Certified Get Ahead
    www.sy0-201.com

Security+ Blog
    Security Plus: Get Certified Get Ahead

Security+ Tip of day Tweets
    twitter.com/DarrilGibson