Passed 70-680!!!

GBAKER2204GBAKER2204 Member Posts: 91 ■■■□□□□□□□
Took the 70-680 tonight (with a 1000!) - the exam wasn't as bad as I thought it might be. Thanks to all those who posted up links over the last few months.

I spent a fair bit of time going over the links on Technet - especially the SpringBoard videos and the learning snacks (looked over the W2K8 R2 videos too).

I reviewed the links pinned to the Windows 7 forum and skim read parts of the 70-680 training kits from MediaWorks and MS Press.

I felt unsure of answers given on a few questions (but was able to rationalise the answers on my review before I finished the exam) so I will go back over the training kit once I finish my MCSE (70-298 booked for 18/12/09). The aim was to pass this exam whilst Chartered Membership was available so I guess I succeeded there.
WIP: 2017 - VCP6.5-DCV (Achieved), VCAP6-DCV, Citrix CCA-V

Comments

• RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Wow! Very nice score. I've never gotten a 1000.
  • mrmcmintmrmcmint Member Posts: 492 ■■■□□□□□□□
    What an excellent reason to celebrate! drunken_smilie.gif

Congrats!! icon_cheers.gif
  • GBAKER2204GBAKER2204 Member Posts: 91 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks Robert and mrmcmint.

I have been reviewing your posts to each other for some inspiration and review tips as I approached the exam date.

I have been 'playing' with the RC at home for the last few months (since July/August), and as I work for a Gold Partner have been using the Enterprise edition for the last 3 months.

I hadn't studied as hard for this as the Vista exam, and was hoping to scrape though based on my exerience with the RC and enterprise products and my knowledge of Vista and Server 2008. I guess I got lucky on the day. I still need to go through the MS training kit properly (only had hold of it a week out from the exam) once the MCSE is finished.
    Excellent! Best of luck with the rest of the MCSE track!
    I wish I had some inspiration for the 293 :)
  • Kris SPKris SP Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Just curious since I really have limited experience with both Vista and Win7 - are they pretty similar in regards to the exam and study material? I've pretty much stuck with XP only and still am resisting moving to the Win7 platform but am going to go head-on into it pretty soon. Thanks.
    @Kris SP - There are a number of differences between the two, and it makes studying for this exam easier if you have a good understanding of Vista. There are more materials for Windows Vista (obviously), but the videos and material on the technet site are very good and helpful for this exam. The links posted by Claymore and every other contributor will help you prepare for this, however get a copy of the RC (if you still can) and use it (if you don't want to migrate to W7 yet).... that's the best advice I can give.
    @mrmcmint

It took me 4 attempts to get the 293 passed - again with a reasonably decent score... I never thought I'd pass it (despite failing by narrow margins each time). Keep going, you'll do it!!

I used the Transcenders and CBT Nuggets and TestOut videos to help finally get this passed.

All the best with your studies.
  • Kris SPKris SP Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks. I actually have a Technet subscription and all of the programs. I've installed Win7 but have not used it much so far. I was thinking of skipping Win7/Vista/XP exams and just doing the Server exams but now I think I'll just go Win7 and then move to the server exams.

Speaking of servers, WinServer 2008 runs great on an old Celeron laptop. :)
    GBAKER2204 wrote: »
    @mrmcmint

It took me 4 attempts to get the 293 passed - again with a reasonably decent score... I never thought I'd pass it (despite failing by narrow margins each time). Keep going, you'll do it!!

I used the Transcenders and CBT Nuggets and TestOut videos to help finally get this passed.

All the best with your studies.

Thanks.

I doubt I'll pass, it seems without doubt that this is the hardest of the MCSE track, maybe with exception of the 298 and its infamous amount of reading to be done.

We shall see on monday!

Good luck to you too.
    All the best.
    The Windows 7 exam does require some server 2008 knowledge (especially the new R2 features so it might help towards your server 2008 studies further down the track. I have found all of the client exams have expected that you have some basic understanding of server infrastructure and networking so they should help with whichever track you plan to study for (MCSE or MCITP).

I have thought about getting a technet subscription but have always had more important demands on my finances, so have been relying on VHD and trials where I could not use the OS or Application in question at work. So far it has paid off quite well and I have only the 298 to finish my MCSE.
    Good luck fo Monday - and don't go into the exam expecting to fail - someone once said "Whether You Think You Can or Can't, You're Right" Henry Ford.

I am taking the 298 in Mid December and will be using my notes from past exams and then using transcenders and CBT Nuggets for 298 and 299 to hopefully pass.