Options

CCNA

cdad2000cdad2000 Member Posts: 323
hello all,

Can someone please help bring enlightment to a poor soul, I thought I had subnetting down pack, though I was fooled by a Classless question, can someone please make sense of Classless and Classful, thanks in advance.

LINUX IS USER-FRIENDLY, IT's JUST PICKY WITH IT's FRIENDS

Comments

• Options
    rentaghostrentaghost Member Posts: 36 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I am by no means an expert but I thought the simple answer to this is

Classful = a predefined amount of bits for network portion 8,16,32 (ie your vanilla class A,B or C address)
    Classless = a user can select the amount of bits used for the network portion (ie subnetting)

Ive only just completed CCNA1 so go easy on me if this is wrong.
  • Options
    Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    i remain, he who remains to be....
  • Options
    sunny_evandersunny_evander Member Posts: 126
    cdad2000 wrote:
    hello all,

Can someone please help bring enlightment to a poor soul, I thought I had subnetting down pack, though I was fooled by a Classless question, can someone please make sense of Classless and Classful, thanks in advance.
    LINUX IS USER-FRIENDLY, IT's JUST PICKY WITH IT's FRIENDS

I think classless and classful make the best sense talking about when you are talking about routing updates ( may be it has other better use than this- then plz tell me :) )

Classless routing - Protocols like EIRIP are classless i.e. when the updates are sent the subnetting is considered! And router uses the subnet mask. e.g is ur subnet is 172.16.91.2/24. Router will consider the /24 part when sending and receiving updates.

Classful routing- Protocols like RIP and IGRP are classful i.e. when the updates are sent the subnetting is not considered! And router uses the default subnet mask that is local on the router. In this case router will just consider the network and default subnet mask..

thats the easiest i could explain ....
    :santa: