Dell 600m....cursor jumping around

/usr/usr Member Posts: 1,768
I've had this annoying problem on my laptop for quite some time now. I'll be typing and my cursor will just jump to a random spot in the screen. If I do a Ctrl+Z to undo it, then begin typing again, it will often keep jumping around as I begin to type unless I literally stop for a few seconds, then start typing again. It's just incredibly annoying...anyone have any clue at all what could cause this? I'm not hitting any keys and the mouse cursor doesn't do it. It's a problem in the keyboard, what the could make the cursor just jump around like that?

Comments

• rae4565rae4565 Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm a certified Dell Tech and I've seen this problem b4...although I cannot say for sure what the problem is in your specific case, I have found that the sensor under the mouse pad is malfunctioning and after replacement the problem seems to disappear...other times the entire mobo needed to be replaced...if ur still under warranty Dell can help u out..if not then you may need to purchase these items on your own..
  • /usr/usr Member Posts: 1,768
    It isn't still under warranty, so I'll deal with it I suppose.
  • squirrelman00squirrelman00 Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    /usr, I can almost guarantee the problem is that your hands are very lightly brushing over the touchpad while your are typing, causing the cursor to jump around. Many users at my work have the exact same problems with this. The solution is to go into the bios and disable the touchpad. If you are using the touchpad and not an external mouse, this will obviously not be a good solution for you. There is also an option in the bios where it will disable the touchpad only when a ps/2 mouse is present. Give it a try
  • /usr/usr Member Posts: 1,768
    That isn't the problem. I've literally use a single finger and typed, just to see if I was in fact brushing the keyboard or touchpad somehow, yet it still happens.
  • TravlerTravler Member Posts: 61 ■■□□□□□□□□
    go into the bios and disable the touchpad.

This is still a good idea, especially if rae4565 is right about the sensor being bad. I'm not 100% sure, but turning off the touchpad may turn off this sensor, thereby letting you know if that is indeed the problem.
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    rae4565 wrote:
    I'm a certified Dell Tech and I've seen this problem b4...although I cannot say for sure what the problem is in your specific case, I have found that the sensor under the mouse pad is malfunctioning and after replacement the problem seems to disappear...other times the entire mobo needed to be replaced...if ur still under warranty Dell can help u out..if not then you may need to purchase these items on your own..

I'm not a Dell Tech, but have had a couple clients need a replacement keyboard to fix this problem. Could be dust, debris of some sort, one had a small screw scratching against the sensor. Each one the keyboard replacement seemed to fix it.

Otherwise, if you can disable the mouse pad, perhaps using a standard mouse will get you by.

Looking forward to hearing what works for your situation.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?