Where to start

hamd01hamd01 Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
I've managed two exams in the past 2 months (270 & 290). I so now its onto the 291! I must admit that this is the exam I fear the most.

So far I havent done any labs or transcenders, but perhaps I will have to consider this for the 291. I work on MS 2003/2008 systems every day, but not very often with DNS/DHCP. The only books I have used so far are the MS Press and Sybex.

I have the MS Press 291, so I'm going to start off with that.....can anyone suggest any other materials....or general advice?

Thank you.

Comments

• PashPash Member Posts: 1,600 ■■■■■□□□□□
    You cant get through the 291 content properly without learning about DNS and DHCP backwards.

How DNS Works: Domain Name System(DNS) - This always helps me to refresh if I ever get confused about DNS and start wondering off track. Helps loads to understand DNS.

Use Vmware or some sort of virtualization program and spend time setting up a DNS server, set up two servers maybe in a 2003 environment, play with the records, learn the records types, learn about reverse look up etc etc.

DHCP is as simple as learning the word DORA and learning the little microsoft rules like 80/20 rule 80/20 Rule and so on.

My recommendation is the MS press book for 70-291 (which you have, great) and lots of lab practice, understand how this stuff works, break it, understand what you have done and then try and fix it. Keep this within the exam guidelines ad you will have no problems what so ever.
    DevOps Engineer and Security Champion. https://blog.pash.by - I am trying to find my writing style, so please bear with me.
  • ptomicptomic Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Take attention on RAS and WSUS.
    Also pay attention on DNS zones and replications.

I passed today and there was 6 simulations.
  • TechnitoTechnito Member Posts: 152
    ptomic wrote: »

Hmm, 6 simulations huh? I plan to take 291 within a couple weeks. How many questions were on it?
    Knowledge is being an Architect, no matter what field.....
  • impelseimpelse Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Yes, I got around 6 simultaions too, so if you do the lab that comes with the book, you will be ok.
    Stop RDP Brute Force Attack with our RDP Firewall : http://www.thehost1.com
    It is your personal IPS to stop the attack.

• jayITjayIT Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    ptomic wrote: »

Wow.. 6? I only had 1!
  • billybob01billybob01 Member Posts: 504
    I had 4, but they are very straight forward.
  • PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    For this exam, you really should set up a lab. You MUST know DNS, DHCP, RRAS, IPSec well. The MS Press 291 book isn't bad, but you might supplement with other sources like Sybex or technet.
    This exam took me the longest to study for because it's so broad in material.
  • pespi_manpespi_man Member Posts: 56 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Im in the same pickle as you hamd01 , i dont use DNS and DHCP at work as it was allready setup when i joined the team.
    Done a few other exams but now it seems i have to do this to complete the MCSA.

I started reading the MSPress book and setup a RRAS server at home but the book is pretty broad and often pretty dull.