MBA or Masters beneficial? Anyone been through one of these programs?

pinkydapimppinkydapimp Member Posts: 732 ■■■■■□□□□□
I am at the point in my career where i really want to increase my education and position myself for years to come. With the instability of IT(and after reading the Dice forums), i have begun to get a bit nervous about the industry in general. However, i dont want to leave because i love it! So since my job will reimburse me for my tuition, i am trying to decide what path i want to take. I currently work in the IT realm in a position which is sort of a combination of software engineering, Server, network, desktop support and Project Management. I have been at the same company for about 5 years(which i know many say is a no no in IT). I love the job. They paid for me to get an MCSE and Apple certs in the past. I also currently have a BS in Computer Science. I was thinking about getting a graduate degree. I found 3 that i am interested in: MBA(specialization in Engineering), MS in Project Management and MS in Information Systems. I am looking at online programs because in my current position i do a lot of travel. I have heard bad things about online degrees and understand that you need to be careful where you get one from. However this program seems good and its from a Brick and Mortar University. So, my first question, how beneficial is a graduate degree in IT? Second, of these 3 programs, any suggestions or comments regarding them? I was thinking an MBA would give me a nice broad range of skills and could compliment me well. I figure it might give me wider range of career options(hedge against the IT field), though i cant see myself leaving IT. Project Management is also a field that interests me. I am wondering if a MS in Project Management would also open a number of doors for me as well. I feel like it would also give me a wide range of options as well and is more applicable to IT than an MBA. if i went that route, i wouldnt need to take the gmat either. I also thought about getting a PMP, but i figure that expires, but a MS doesn't. my third option is the MS in Information Systems. The good thing about this program is it is more focused on IT stuff which really would be much more interesting to me. it would also give me an in depth knowledge in the field in which i love. Also, with this program i can probably bypass taking the GRE. The downside in my eyes is that its limited to the IT realm, and i am not sure how many more doors it would open for me. The other option is to get more certs(cicso and VMware are two that i have been interested in getting).

So, i would greatly appreciate any input that anyone has on the subject. Have you gone through a similar program? has it been beneficial to your career? Thanks in advance!

Engineering Management MBA Online

Master of Science in Project Management

Master of Science in Information Systems

Comments

• veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    ... I have been at the same company for about 5 years(which i know many say is a no no in IT)...

Why? icon_confused.gif:
  • pinkydapimppinkydapimp Member Posts: 732 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Why? icon_confused.gif:

Because i love the job. I get to travel a ton which i love. In addition i enjoy the work and they treat me well. Once i got my MCSE about a year and a half ago i thought about looking, but the market was and has been so bad i have been weary of being the last person in an organization for fear of being laid off. i feel that i have decent job security in my current position.

Do you think thats a poor decision?

They will pay for my MBA or masters, but if being at a place for 5 years is bad, if i start one of these programs i will be there for another 2 years.
  • GAngelGAngel Member Posts: 708 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Ask your boss. Who do you think will be recommending you for promotion.
    Your education is rarely the determining factor in getting hired for a position.
    One in 4 postgrad degree's is an MBA now there is no special significance to it outside of a top school anymore. Make your decision on what you want to be doing 5 and 10 years down the road.
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    What I meant was why would it be bad to be at a certain job for 5 years? If you like it then stay.
  • I see NO problem being somewhere for many years. If you are happy why leave. I worked at AT&T/Lucent technologies for almost 20 years. The only reason I left was Lucent closed shop in MA. and I took a package. I also let them pay for multiple degrees for me. I would go for the Engineering management but that is just me
    Go EVERTON

evertonfc-crest.gif
  • zen masterzen master Member Posts: 222
    What I meant was why would it be bad to be at a certain job for 5 years? If you like it then stay.

Precisely. No one wants their CV to make them look like they've been hopping from job to job. Leaving a job is something that is done out of necessity, not as a matter of course.
  • GAngelGAngel Member Posts: 708 ■■■■□□□□□□
    zen master wrote: »
    Precisely. No one wants their CV to make them look like they've been hopping from job to job. Leaving a job is something that is done out of necessity, not as a matter of course.

It's 2009 in order to grow most people have to move on. GenX is mobile so are the jobs for us.

5 jobs in 5 years and I plan to move in another year or 2. They've been nothing but a help not a hinderance as long as you're doing it for an opportunity to learn more not "because you hate your boss". I would be a few pay grades and knowledge levels below where I was even if I stayed at any of my old positions for 10 years.

I look for people who move around because they learn to adapt to my environment quicker. 20 years at a job makes you obsolete in the real market unless you're in one of few jobs that constantly evolve.

If you're ok with status quo and you have responsibilities that's fine but the reality is others will be moving much faster because they took bigger risks.