a little advice in my job hunt

JNekoJNeko Member Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
i've applied for specific positions to around 60 companies through job boards over the span of a month. got two sit down interviews, but one was with a company i interned with, and a handful of phone calls with recruiters. i got turned down for one of the companies i interviewed with, and the other has yet to get back to me.

this week I contacted a little over 100 tech companies in my city via a little generic email, just letting them know i was available, but have not heard a peep from them. not one.

so far from my experience, the majority companies simply don't respond, whether it be to an application to a position or a generic email. should i be calling them to follow up? or should i take their no-response as a way of telling me they are not interested and should move on? should i try sending resume through mail or a more personalized email or walking it in? is this really more effective?

im obviously trying to hit as many companies as quickly as possible, but am willing to change my methodology if it would produce better results...

what are y'all's thoughts?

thanks,
J
A common type of network bridge, in which the host stations are unaware of their existence in the network.

Comments

• Don't take it personal. There are too many people looking for jobs for them to reply to everyone that does not meet the needs. Also, when applying to a job try and make the cover letter/resume targeted to that company. Generic cv/rsumes do not do as good as targeted ones. I was laid off from about April to August of this year and I used all of the online tools Monster/CareerBuilder/Indeed. But guess what it was a person that I knew that got me in for an interview that eventually landed me the job. Now I am hiring 5-6 engineers and i am using personal contacts to build a list of candidates, and they will have preference over all others.

I guess what my rambling on is about is use contacts, networking like this site, linkedin, friends and past co-workers etc.

GOOD LUCK!!!!!
    Go EVERTON

evertonfc-crest.gif
  • NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    JNeko wrote: »
    i've applied for specific positions to around 60 companies through job boards over the span of a month. got two sit down interviews, but one was with a company i interned with, and a handful of phone calls with recruiters. i got turned down for one of the companies i interviewed with, and the other has yet to get back to me.

this week I contacted a little over 100 tech companies in my city via a little generic email, just letting them know i was available, but have not heard a peep from them. not one.

so far from my experience, the majority companies simply don't respond, whether it be to an application to a position or a generic email. should i be calling them to follow up? or should i take their no-response as a way of telling me they are not interested and should move on? should i try sending resume through mail or a more personalized email or walking it in? is this really more effective?

im obviously trying to hit as many companies as quickly as possible, but am willing to change my methodology if it would produce better results...

thanks,
    J

I found this article interesting...

10 Reasons You Are Not Getting Interviews
    By Barbara Wulf

What do you do when you’re running late to work?
    Call in and let them know
    Sneak in through the back entrance
    Show up and act like you have no idea that you’re late

Getting poll results. Please wait...
    Show ResultsYou created the resume. You composed the cover letter. You applied for the job opening and now you wait. Waiting...it's a hard place to be when you desire action in your job search.

Want to increase your chances for getting an interview? Make sure you have not overlooked the 10 Reasons You Are Not Getting Interviews.

1.Spelling or grammatical errors in a resume or cover letter - Be sure to use spell check, proofread, read aloud, and have someone else review your documents. Your first impression will generally impact your chances for an interview.
    2.Not using an appropriate resume format - Use the most appropriate resume format to reflect your experience and skills. Decide if the chronological, functional, or combination format is best for you.
    3.Too embellished - Your resume and cover letter should flow and be understandable. Don't get too technical, use flowery language, or stretch the truth with your experience and skills. If you were interviewed, could you substantiate the facts you presented? The employer will be thinking "if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is."
    4.Wrong name or company in the cover letter - It might be convenient to apply for multiple positions and use a similar cover letter. Did you remember to change the inside address and name? The employer will not be impressed if you slip up on this detail.
    5.Unqualified - Yes, there is the "hope" factor or "give me a break" factor, but most employers are looking for applicants who have the skills. An employer may not be interested in spending time, resource, and money to train you. Find a way to obtain the training and reapply down the road.
    6.Overqualified - The question a potential employer is asking is, how long will he stay? Employers cannot afford to hire and rehire in the short term. Would you be satisfied with the position? It's probably best for both parties to avoid a lose-lose situation.
    7.Wrong job targeted - Can you really do the job? Be realistic. If you are really out of your league, do not expect a reply.
    8.No openings today - No means "no," but consider a follow-up call down the road. If you send an unsolicited resume to a company, they have no obligation to respond. Openings could occur in the future. Instead, focus on companies that are actively seeking new employees.
    9.Not being available - Since you included your phone number and email, make sure you can be contacted. If you leave for a week of fishing in Canada, can you return a call or email? Will you sound focused and professional?
    10.Lack of follow up - Want the interview? Make a call to human resources after the application deadline or after a week of applying. What is the status is with the interviewing schedule? Is the employer extending the application deadline? Are they currently reviewing the applications? What is the projected timeline for interviewing? Obtaining additional information that can help you move on with your job search and indicate your interest in position. Remember to say thank you.

I hope this helps

10 Reasons You Are Not Getting Interviews | JobDig Career Search and Employment Guide - Because everyone should dig their job!
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
  • JNekoJNeko Member Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the responses guys, some good advice.

Actually I got contacted by one of the companies I generic emailed the other day. Seems like a real good fit too! So now waiting on the results of two sit down interviews. I've been already been waiting almost two weeks for one of them, ugh. I hate it when they take this long.

Either way, though I feel good about both the interviews, who knows what their answers will be. So I'm chugging away at it again today until I get that offer.

Thanks again for the help and good luck to all.

J
    A common type of network bridge, in which the host stations are unaware of their existence in the network.
  • unsupportedunsupported Member Posts: 192
    It's time to get personal, get out and network. Join some professional organizations in your area, even if you are not in college go to college recruiting events (worth a shot) or if you graduated then the recruiting events welcome alumni. Go through LinkedIn, look up previous co-workers and bosses. It's time to get creative or go unemployed.
    -un

“We build our computer (systems) the way we build our cities: over time, without a plan, on top of ruins” - Ellen Ullman
  • TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    JNeko wrote: »

thanks,
    J

Don't over analyse what you are doing. I wouldn't get hung up following up any job you have applied for. Just don't sit there waiting for the phone to ring, simply apply for more jobs. Main thing is to stay positive and keep a long term view in mind. It's a quiet time of the year now. You may find there seem to be a fair few jobs advertised but a lot of companies are holding back on the hiring decision right now so response can be slow. Things *should* pick up a wee bit in the new year. Im getting plenty of calls in response to my applications but it's just taking companies an age to fess up the money to get someone onsite contract or permanent so it's all dragging on. Most are just looking at the market to see who is available. Will be a bit better next year. Keep applying.