IP for Telecommunication Engineer

milanomilano Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi
I'm new to this forum and industry. I'm working as a BSS Engineer (in GSM network - Telecom). From my undergraduate studies, I always had an interest with IP!!! hooooooooops!!! icon_cheers.gif Belive me!!! icon_lol.gif

Now i like to specialize with IP! where it match with telecommunication industry? ( I dont think there will be much difference in ISP and Telecom Service Provider, if both are using IP)

What should I do next? ( now reading for BSCI) CCIP, Cisco Voice or CCSP...
Does all Engineers are working in ISP or Enterprise Network? No one in telecom??? I really Don't kno... Pls help me!!!

What ABout Experts!!
Thanks

Comments

• sides14sides14 Member Posts: 113
    As a base station engineer, you will probably never get to work on the networking side. While wireless performance engineering is fun, it gets a little boring after a while (especially when all of the equipment is modular now). I was able to work my way into implementation engineering for core infrastructure. This allows me to do engineering and design that involves networking equipment. I am just buying time until I can get into the IP engineering group.
  • milanomilano Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    sides14 wrote: »
    As a base station engineer, you will probably never get to work on the networking side. While wireless performance engineering is fun, it gets a little boring after a while (especially when all of the equipment is modular now). I was able to work my way into implementation engineering for core infrastructure. This allows me to do engineering and design that involves networking equipment. I am just buying time until I can get into the IP engineering group.

so give ur experience abt it man!
  • sides14sides14 Member Posts: 113
    Many of the vendors have an IP variant for their 3G technologies (CDMA, UMTS, LTE). Being on the performance engineering or field engineering side will (probably) not provide any hands on experience with networking (Cisco) equipment. If your interest lies in the networking aspect of wireless, you want to work on the core engineering side or in IP engineering.

My experience started in analog, tdma, gsm and umts. I worked in Southern California for one of the major wireless providers. Until my recent transition to core engineering, the most networking that I ever did (in my job) was installing a microwave monitoring network (2611 routers and 2950 switches).

The wireless world offers very few opportunities to work with networking equipment. Unless you work for a smaller provider that has everything in house, most of the work will be outsourced to vendors. Hopefully things will change with the introduction of LTE.
  • milanomilano Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I worked in BTS & microwave installation and troubleshooting for awhile. Its interesting to go sites and learn by your self. After all its nothing hard! Now I use that to tell my front officers!!!
    After couple of months, now moved to BSS/RAN department. Its all about configuring and optimizing GSM/UMTS wireless network. Its fun! Here we use TDM for signaling and traffic channels. (IP for operation and management channel, oops that also ip over E1!). We have STM1 level Back Bone links connecting remote BSC to MSC. But we use E1 over STM! Its all about Time slot and dedicated channel from end to end... I dont like this because its all about preconfigued network. Network cannot be utilized dynamically with traffic distribution. when it comes to IP over STM, its about one physical channel and logically allocated to different service.

Before this job, previously I worked as Corenetwork planning engineer for cdma 2000 network, where I did the IP cutover between BSS, CORE, IN, VAS & OMC network! Its what an optimising project!

I'm thinking how this going to change and opertunity for experts!
    ip_networking