Options in IT Careers for Newbie

perrya1953perrya1953 Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
Like many middle agers hit by the economy ****, many look at the IT field to start a new career. Since I have not yet made a decision I have a couple of questions about education.

1. Can online courses for MCSA, MCSE, MCTS, Linux\Unix admin, networking and data communication do a sufficient job without any direct hand's on experience? Some schools offer this training for $15K, have a lab etc. (so one must attend), while others offers only online education. Is having a lab to learn hand's on training really needed? The online schools seem to offer the same education for only $3K, which is way cheaper.

2. There seems to be few entry level network admin jobs around, true?

3. Which of the following is more desirable in the job market or most frequently asked:

Linx\Unix admin, MCSA, MCSE, MCTS, web programming, Video game design, Network and data communication?

4. For career changes, would it be wiser for newbies to focus on medical field certs (EKG tech, Pharmacy tech ) because of job market rather than any of the above mentions IT training?

Thanks
Perry in CA

Comments

• brianeaglesfanbrianeaglesfan Member Posts: 130
    1. Can online courses for MCSA, MCSE, MCTS, Linux\Unix admin, networking and data communication do a sufficient job without any direct hand's on experience? Some schools offer this training for $15K, have a lab etc. (so one must attend), while others offers only online education. Is having a lab to learn hand's on training really needed? The online schools seem to offer the same education for only $3K, which is way cheaper.
    Without having something to practice on technical material can be so detailed (or dry depending on your perspective) that it would be near impossible to remember for any significant amount of time. Many people including myself have set up home labs though which you can do for as cheap as for free by installing VMWare followed by a client or server OS. This way the environment is yours indefinitely and you can build upon it to pursue further certification. Otherwise if I were seeking technical education I'd pursue it at a community college for the most bang for the buck.
    2. There seems to be few entry level network admin jobs around, true? .
    Unless your dad runs the company yes this is true.
    3. Which of the following is more desirable in the job market or most frequently asked:
    Linx\Unix admin, MCSA, MCSE, MCTS, web programming, Video game design, Network and data communication?
    The most popular would be, at least from what I've seen, MCSE, web programming, and network and data communications. Keep in mind you'd be a paper MCSE but it's still the king of MS certs. Preferably the communications path would lead to Cisco certification.
    4. For career changes, would it be wiser for newbies to focus on medical field certs (EKG tech, Pharmacy tech ) because of job market rather than any of the above mentions IT training?
    Medical field is the place to be these days. Keep in mind you could go medical then later switch over to IT if you so chose. I do IT in the healthcare sector and some of the highest paying IT positions require a medical cert or background.
    Complete: MSMIS, MBA, EPIC certified
    In progress: CPHIMS, CAPM
  • TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    perrya1953 wrote: »
    Like many middle agers hit by the economy ****, many look at the IT field to start a new career. Since I have not yet made a decision I have a couple of questions about education.

2. There seems to be few entry level network admin jobs around, true?

Thanks
    Perry in CA

Not to put you off Perry but if you are thinking of heading into the support space it's going to be a challenge. The support space is shrinking fast due to economy and strategy. Rationalization, offshoring, outsourcing all play a part here to name but a few. Add to which there is a small army of people scrapping for support jobs many of them with years of experience. You can do it but it's something to think about before you sink a lot of time, money and effort into certification training. Try the self study route before putting lots of money down on courses.

Support roles vary, some would send you to sleep, others can be very demanding indeed. Do you want the stress? It can be stressful. The ranks are generally young as well with homelabs and time and energy to burn after work to keep up with things. Can you compete?

You have life experience though and this is important. Have you thought about technical authoring? Many companies now have openings in that area and in my experience the folks holding down such jobs are mature. If you have any experience in documenting things or formalising procedures that might be a better way in. There is a lot of call for this in organisations today and people are hired to take care of it. You would get access to the technical side of things within a company to see how much it *really* interests you without having to cram for a VCP to get a new platform operational or what have you. Some of the process examinations or project manager certifications may be worth looking at as I see a lot of middle aged folks moving from technical or non technical backgrounds into PM. If you have experience of handling things and getting teams working effectively this may be something to consider.

Then again, anything is possible!
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Would you take your car to an auto mechanic that got his training online and never actually worked on a real car?

Would you go to a doctor who's only training was playing doctor with the kid next door when they both 5 years old? Would you go to a Surgeon who's only practice has been playing the old Operation game?

Would you ride in a taxi with a driver that learned to drive playing grand theft auto?

There are a few good training centers left. And most Community Colleges are reasonably priced, and "slow but steady" when it comes to job training.

And then there are the the "earn the money you deserve" training centers that hunt for suckers to sign for 30k student loans.

And there are formerly legitimate training centers who lost their big corporate customers when training budgets were cut and now scamper around looking for any old warm body who qualifies for "retraining funds."

Then there's the old job scam training centers. They lure you in with fake Job Ads and then tell you that you could get "the job" if you had certifications, and we just happen to also be a training center. The worst of these has gone to a "cheaper web based format" -- they give you access to "study material" and "exam ****" to **** your way to certifications. And the only jobs these guys ever offered their students was a job talking up their school online and posting fake job ads all over the internet to attract the next batch of suckers. icon_rolleyes.gif

A lot of people who are looking at "starting over" also expect to get a good salary since they "have a family to support" -- which is why they usually fall for the scams.

If you wanted to work in IT you could probably find a low level low paying help desk job that sucks. If you lucked out you might find one working for a company that hasn't outsource and at least offers a "promotion path" for motivated employees (who don't complain out loud about the sucky job and study during work free time and on their own time). Or you could luck out and get a sucky helpdesk job at a company that does outsourced helpdesk/support (and isn't overseas) -- and if you're good they might "train you up" and send to out to customer sites and bill you out for big bucks (while still paying you a pittance until you're actually worth a larger salary at another company).

Most of the helpdesk/support jobs want someone with "people skills" -- so that alone could "get you into IT." The "better" the helpdesk job, the more skills they may require you to possess. Toss in a low level Microsoft OS exam and Certification or Deskside support certification -- and actually be able to demonstrate the knowledge and skills -- and you might just be able to find an entry level IT job.

There is no magic training that will get you an IT job. There is no magic certification that guarantees you a job. And that was during the "good times" -- with the current job market, it's possible to do everything right and still not get a good job, or any job.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • perrya1953perrya1953 Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hmm. seems bleak, Use to that. I have been a technical writer for various IT firms for 10 years, but the well is pretty dry now. I have documented complex sys and easier ones in manuals etc.

The online school I am considering is State University East Bay, part of the UC system, very reputable. But as I suspected, learning the material just online does not train you for "hands on". Unless somehow, they include it in their online presentations.

Still, the course for MSCE or MSCA is $2500.00. Online is far more conveniant in case a tech writing gig shows up.

Even so, sounds all IT gigs start at the help desk. That shocks me.

perrya
    Hmm. seems bleak, Use to that. I have been a technical writer for various IT firms for 10 years, but the well is pretty dry now. I have documented complex sys and easier ones in manuals etc.

The online school I am considering is State University East Bay, part of the UC system, very reputable. But as I suspected, learning the material just online does not train you for "hands on". Unless somehow, they include it in their online presentations.

Still, the course for MSCE or MSCA is $2500.00. Online is far more conveniant in case a tech writing gig shows up.

Even so, sounds all IT gigs start at the help desk. That shocks me.

perrya

You could try PM or some of the process stuff. ITIL perhaps. Not all IT gigs start at help desk, you can be fast tracked sometimes but you would need buddies, a brilliant degree or both for that and be about 22 years old ;)

Other than that it's help desk for everything really. I would still use the technical authoring as a way in though. Many shops are way behind on documentation and need help with it. If you really want to go technical at this stage I would be inclined to look at something a bit niche that in the space of a year you could learn enough about to be useful to someone. UNIX and perl or market trading applications springs to mind.
    mikej412 wrote: »
    And then there are the the "earn the money you deserve" training centers that hunt for suckers to sign for 30k student loans.

hehehe 'Unleash the giant within you'

Sales 10 Million
    Giants < 10 Million

;)
    what is PM and ITIL?
    sounds all IT gigs start at the help desk.
    I started as a programmer on UNIX systems (a gazillion years ago) based on a recommendation by one of my College Professors I impressed with my programming skills and ability to learn.
    what is PM and ITIL?
    Project Management & Service Management.
    what about Java and SQL, would these be niche types, they seem to always be in requirements even for some TWs.

perry