70-659: Windows Server 2008 R2 Virtualization Beta Exam registration

Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
Registration opens December 1st on Prometric.

Testing runs from December 4th - December 31st

Beta code is: VRR2

I think i'm going to take a stab at it since its free, but i'll have to sit it early because my test center is a college so they shut down the testing center about mid december.

Comments

• astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Yeah I got the invite this morning too, I'm going to pass on it though since the 652 exam counts for credit.
  • Jamesm3Jamesm3 Member Posts: 72 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I am going to have a go.

I'm just off to investigate the requirements
    C|EHv9, Security+, MCITP:SA - MCITP:EA - MCTS - MCSE - MCSA - MCP - MCP+i - Network+ - A+
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    MS beta exams are the same cost as released exams, or is there a discount? The last MS beta exam I took was over ten years ago, and I think there was a 25-30% discount back then.
  • undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    I got this invite as well. I think I'll give it a go, especially since I'll be doing a lot with Hyper-V starting next year.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
    JDMurray wrote: »
    MS beta exams are the same cost as released exams, or is there a discount? The last MS beta exam I took was over ten years ago, and I think there was a 25-30% discount back then.
    Most (if not all) are free to take.
  • Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059

Its free if you use the code i posted.

Register quickly, these things fill up in hours.
    Hyper-Me wrote: »
    Its free if you use the code i posted.

Register quickly, these things fill up in hours.

Hi

Promotional code VRR2 doesn't work icon_sad.gif

James
    C|EHv9, Security+, MCITP:SA - MCITP:EA - MCTS - MCSE - MCSA - MCP - MCP+i - Network+ - A+
    Code doesn't work because registration doesn't start until 1st December icon_lol.gif

Thanks

Hames
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    astorrs wrote: »
    Yeah I got the invite this morning too, I'm going to pass on it though since the 652 exam counts for credit.

That's where I'm at as well.
    http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/exam.aspx?ID=70-659&Locale=en-us#tab2

There are the exam skills measured.

Although I have to think that the Configuring Remote Desktop Services section at the end was put in there mistakenly.
  • MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    It's now December 1 on the east coast, so the exam is open for registration. I scheduled mine for the day after Christmas.
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV
  • stupidboystupidboy Member Posts: 470
    I am booked in for 17/12/2009 which works out nice, the Monday/Tuesday after is VMware vSphere 4 What's New :D
    I am booked on the 21st December

Gives me a couple of weekends to mess around with the product
  • 120nm4n120nm4n Member Posts: 116
    I have been checking every half hour this morning, and it didn't show up. When it finally did (10 minutes ago), it said that the promo code seats had been exceeded. :-/
    WIP: MCITP: EA
    70-620 - Done
    70-647 - In Progress
    70-649 - Soon.
    Is this by invite only? I don't see a "70-659" in the MS exam listing at prometric.com. There is a "71-659" for Server 2008 R2 virtualization, but it's not marked as a beta.
    Is this by invite only? I don't see a "70-659" in the MS exam listing at prometric.com. There is a "71-659" for Server 2008 R2 virtualization, but it's not marked as a beta.
    71 is the beta designation code (74 is academic, etc).
    I skipped this one. too much on the plate before xmas.
    71 is the beta designation code (74 is academic, etc).
    Ah. Thx.
    There once was a beta? | born to learn
    Beta codes leaked

A couple people who received notifications posted the beta code on their blogs. I guess it’s possible that these people didn’t consider that posting the beta code would be unfair to others who had submitted SME profiles. Going forward, folks who publicly post a beta code before it is available on Born to Learn may be removed from the SME database. Consider this fair warning.

This is a change in policy from Microsoft now that they have their SME database, but something TechExams.net members need to be aware of.
  • stupidboystupidboy Member Posts: 470

This is a change in policy from Microsoft now that they have their SME database, but something TechExams.net members need to be aware of.

Thanks astorrs.

I came to post this link too, as it is 09:22 here in the UK at the moment and I am just catching up with the news.
    It looks like the beta is closed. The following message is displayed after entering the code:

The maximum count for the promotion has been exceeded. Please try another promotion.
    Yea, these usually fill up pretty quick. This one is a bit less mainstream, but others max out within a day, sometime within minutes.
  • undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    I missed out, too much happening at work. I still need to do Exchange 2010 studying anyhow.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/

Nice of her to throw a fit on a company blog icon_rolleyes.gif

Oh well I was trying to help people out and thats what I get for it.
  • RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■

I would not call her post throwing a fit...

But I am thankful as I was able to get in using the code you posted. I think what you are seeing in the Krista's post as "a fit" is really the MS Learning team's frustration with entitled MCPs. I'm sure you read the posts from people whining about not getting a chance to take the beta for Win 7 and Exchange 2010. That was rediculous. I'd be on edge too if I had to listen to so much crap from cry babies like those.

What? How in the world was that a fit?

She's a content manager for Microsoft, and I can't even imagine the amount of BS she has to deal with over these stupid beta exams. That seemed like a calm explanation and set of guidelines for a lot of misbehavior from people who should know better.

If you get a code specifically because you're an SME, you don't publicly post it. If they want an open beta, they'll advertise it. It's easy enough for Microsoft to get the word out.

It seems like the vast majority of people taking these are just people who want to whore free certs. Most are not qualified to take the exam and offer little to the program. The pass rate has been abysmal for all the beta exams I can recall. The entire point of the beta program is to develop the program and not simply give free attempts to people who can register the fastest. They're trying to improve the program by offering the exam to those that are qualified. Circumventing that undermines the program for everyone.
    I've passed every beta ive taken, and I try to leave as much commentary as I can that will provide feedback to them.

I just think its rude to get upset at the people that are trying to help them make their exams better and gain exposure.
    I just think its rude to get upset at the people that are trying to help them make their exams better and gain exposure.
    That's not the point of the betas. It's to gather psychometric data so they can do an IS/SS and determine the final questions/minimally qualified candidate. They're frustrated at the whining MCPs/MCTs who are demanding to be allowed to do them.
    That's not the point of the betas. It's to gather psychometric data so they can do an IS/SS and determine the final questions/minimally qualified candidate. They're frustrated at the whining MCPs/MCTs who are demanding to be allowed to do them.

Actually that is the point...gather psychometric data to make the exam better, or at least as good as it can be for the topic being tested.

They want to give SME's first dibs but complain because they want diversity. Which is it?
    Actually that is the point...gather psychometric data to make the exam better, or at least as good as it can be for the topic being tested.

They want to give SME's first dibs but complain because they want diversity. Which is it?
    Yeah but good data isn't a bunch of people, many of which would never in a million years meet minimally qualified candidate status...