Am I screwed for the future?

Back in late September I lost my job as a support analyst at my work place where I did first line support and on occasion second line support. I have managed to find a part time help desk technician position however I hate it and all I do is answer the phone. At the moment I don’t have certs however I am due to sit my CCNA exam in September and get my MCSE done as quick as I can next year.

So sometime mid next year I going to look for another job as I know employers are not interested at the moment as they can get people with MCSE for 19k etc. However I worried when I got all this next year there not going to be interested because of only working part-time and I don’t get to do as much technical stuff as I did.
Any advice on what I should do

Also at the moment I currently studying for my degree as well and completed my HNC in May.

Comments

• tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I would concentrate on one thing at a time to be honest. Right now you have no certs except a bunch of certs you "plan" to get next year. If your working part time at least your working in the IT field. Plenty of things could change by the time you finish all the things you say your going to finish.
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    It really depends on what perspective you want to take. Personally, I'm a half-full kinda guy. I eagerly await getting screwed in the future.

Just hang in there and keep learning. We've all worked jobs we've hated.
  • msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Hanging in there where you are at now is going to be a lot better for you than not working, it might not seem like you are picking up much knowledge if you are doing very entry level work but it's still experience none the less.

I wouldn't worry about your future outlook on employment opportunities as being hurt by only working a part-time job too much. A lot of employers across many careers now, not just IT, are all finding a pool of applicants who have been out of work with the economy being as it has been. Having a part-time job through all of this will only help, and as much as you dislike the job it is something that most of us have to get through - a right of passage so to speak.
  • Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    If i had an MCSE and a company only offered me 19k I would laugh in their face.

Unless my MCSE was on NT4. :D
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Dude! I am making more than 19k doing desktop support!

Also, I have never put that I worked part-time for my community college gig, and have never been asked if I did.
    Don't get to uptight with the future, just take it one step at a time.
  • SysAdmin4066SysAdmin4066 Member Posts: 443
    Dude! I am making more than 19k doing desktop support!

Also, I have never put that I worked part-time for my community college gig, and have never been asked if I did.
    Don't get to uptight with the future, just take it one step at a time.

I was going to say, you dont have to put that it was part time. Dont do the employers job for them. If they dont ask, you dont have to tell them it was part time, just list what you've done. Experience is experience, doesnt matter whether it's part time unless it matters if that makes sense. If it does matter, the employer will ask. Dont offer up. In the meantime, use all that extra time to get as much done personally in your career as possible. I am currently with a government agency that is feast or famine as far as work schedule is concerned. We are a very large IT shop, and we typically have seasonal projects. If not, we are not very busy at all. So I utilize that time to work on my certs.
    In Progress: CCIE R&S Written Scheduled July 17th (Tentative)

Next Up: CCIE R&S Lab
  • TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    thomas130 wrote: »
    Back in late September I lost my job as a support analyst at my work place where I did first line support and on occasion second line support. I have managed to find a part time help desk technician position however I hate it and all I do is answer the phone. At the moment I don’t have certs however I am due to sit my CCNA exam in September and get my MCSE done as quick as I can next year.

So sometime mid next year I going to look for another job as I know employers are not interested at the moment as they can get people with MCSE for 19k etc. However I worried when I got all this next year there not going to be interested because of only working part-time and I don’t get to do as much technical stuff as I did.
    Any advice on what I should do

Also at the moment I currently studying for my degree as well and completed my HNC in May.

Hang on to that job young man. You are working in the IT industry and it is experience. There are thousands of very experienced, very qualified people moving into the lower end of IT support now due to the layoffs. The economy is fragile and could tank again next year. Get your head down and use the freetime to train up. At the same time do a good job in the position you are in. Six months down the line opportunities may arise within this company if you make a great impression.