Options

Advice on career options.

xkheperaxxkheperax Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
Ok guys I am currently 20 years old and about to graduate with my A.S. in Network Administration next month. During my coursework I gained 6 months experience interning at a hospital doing small helpdesk work a couple days a week. As for my certs I currently hold Network+ and plan to tackle Security+ around the new year.

I can take 7 more courses to gain another A.S. degree in Computer Information Technology but, this would cut into my study time for certifications. I am also currently working in retail management full time making good money for my age as well.

I am wondering what some of your opinions are on available options and whether another A.S. degree would be worth the trouble? Thanks.
Network+ Certified Nov 2008

Comments

• Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    xkheperax wrote: »
    Ok guys I am currently 20 years old and about to graduate with my A.S. in Network Administration next month. During my coursework I gained 6 months experience interning at a hospital doing small helpdesk work a couple days a week. As for my certs I currently hold Network+ and plan to tackle Security+ around the new year.

I can take 7 more courses to gain another A.S. degree in Computer Information Technology but, this would cut into my study time for certifications. I am also currently working in retail management full time making good money for my age as well.

I am wondering what some of your opinions are on available options and whether another A.S. degree would be worth the trouble? Thanks.

I don't think another A.S. would be worth it. I would start working on a Bachelor degree if I were you.
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I agree. I don't see the multiple AS degrees as being additive. Work on experience, certs, and the BS degree if you plan to continue with formal education.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    xkheperaxxkheperax Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    The bachelors degree will be offered in the Fall of 2010 at my current school which I plan to pursue. Thanks for your input guys I appreciate it.
    Network+ Certified Nov 2008
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    xkheperax wrote: »
    The bachelors degree will be offered in the Fall of 2010 at my current school which I plan to pursue. Thanks for your input guys I appreciate it.

In that case I would hit the certifications full blast before then. You will be in good shape if you do the CCNA or MCITP:SA/EA before then.

Good Luck and welcome to TE! icon_thumright.gif