Job Opportunities? Any Insight? Southeast U.S

flatworldflatworld Member Posts: 89 ■■□□□□□□□□
North Alabama, Huntsville.

What can the salary potentials be in this area? Without a clearance?, with S clearance?, with a TS clearance?
Next up: OSCP

Comments

• veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    flatworld wrote: »
    North Alabama, Huntsville.

6 years of experience(exp is: 5years network administration for 900 employee company, and 1year of oracle/coldfusion programming)
    Sec+
    MIS Degree(with boatloads of Oracle SQL experience)
    Taking CISSP exam first week of February.

What can the salary potentials be in this area? Without a clearance?, with S clearance?, with a TS clearance?

By area you do mean the South East correct?
  • flatworldflatworld Member Posts: 89 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Oops.

South East , yep. Huntsville, AL.

Essentially called Silicon Valley the 2nd by many.

By area you do mean the South East correct?
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    Check Dice, Monster, etc. for sysadmins-with-CISSP jobs in that area of the county and see what they pay. I would assume that a 5-year admin with a degree, Oracle DBA and a little InfoSec experience wouldn't bring very much down there. The Virginia/DC area would be a higher paying area to look for that sort of thing.
    What would you classify as applicable related info sec experience to be acceptable for ISC2/cissp requirements. etc?

In the previous network administration Job, they were all windows 2003 servers, about 15 2U servers. I alone configured the cisco vpn concentrator, setup all the 2950 catalysts, setup websense which utilized a span port so it screens everyones surfing. Had an OWA 2003 frontend in a dmz, which connected to a backend exchange server using RPC over https through a pix firewall. NTFS permissions, thumb scan recognition authentication etc..

Would this not fall under: Access Control, Telecome & "network Security", cryptography(for the site to site vpn tunnel that I setup.

I spoke to a CISSP I know, and I wanted to be sure if I took the test in February my experience would qualify to become a full cissp, and not an associate.

What do you think?

JDMurray wrote: »
    Check Dice, Monster, etc. for sysadmins-with-CISSP jobs in that area of the county and see what they pay. I would assume that a 5-year admin with a degree, Oracle DBA and a little InfoSec experience wouldn't bring very much down there. The Virginia/DC area would be a higher paying area to look for that sort of thing.
    sysadmin and netadmins can usually claim the networking and telecom and access control domains. The cryptography domain is for people who actually work in crypto and not just install and configure software that uses crypto.

Being CISSP-certified requires a postive testimony from your endorser and then passing any audit the (ISC)2 sees fit to perform. Even if you don't pass the audit now, just passing the exam is the biggest step. And being an associate will still get the "CISSP" keyword on your resume.
  • unsupportedunsupported Member Posts: 192
    For information on salary ranged for being cleared, you can visit the dice website Security Clearance Jobs - ClearanceJobs.com
    -un

“We build our computer (systems) the way we build our cities: over time, without a plan, on top of ruins” - Ellen Ullman
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    The Carolinas are also doing well. Raleigh, NC; Charleston, SC; and other locations near the coast.
    Thanks JDMurray.

I have the luxury of having a cissp boss/manager who has stated to his employees he would sponsor them if they want to attempt the certification , which I am.

When you mean "work in crypto", what are you specifically thinking? Hardware Engineering of proprietary commo boxes that DoD uses?

JDMurray wrote: »
    sysadmin and netadmins can usually claim the networking and telecom and access control domains. The cryptography domain is for people who actually work in crypto and not just install and configure software that uses crypto.

Being CISSP-certified requires a postive testimony from your endorser and then passing any audit the (ISC)2 sees fit to perform. Even if you don't pass the audit now, just passing the exam is the biggest step. And being an associate will still get the "CISSP" keyword on your resume.
    Involved in developing cryptoalgorithms or cryptosystems that are hard/firm/software-based.