Having job market difficulty? Think about this if you are in the US.

2»

Comments

• UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    I have tons of friends who work in Iraq, Afghanistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia, and Qatar.

I will share with you one information that you might not be aware of.

There's a potential danger in Kuwait and Saudi Arabia, it's driving. Driving is a real killer in these countries that you should be aware of..so keep that in mind when you accept an offer.

Other than that, Iraq is not very dangerous anymore. Kuwait/SaudiArabia/Qatar are very safe. Afghanistan is very dangerous.
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Check out my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/DRJic8vCodE 

• Sanis4lifeSanis4life Banned Posts: 60 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I was in Iraq in 06 and I am currently negotiating to go back. I also have an offer pending for Afghanistan. There is a new contract being awarded soon for Afghan and they want people by second week of Jan.

It's not a picnic, but as I mentioned I was already down there and I am willing to go again. Although there were times where I was laying on the floor of my trailer asking myself what the hell and I doing here as we were being attacked by rockets.

Believe me, contractors get killed/injured also. It's the stuff they lob over the gates you have to be wary of.

Iraq: circa $140K
    Stan: circa $180K

Theres a reason for the price difference...

Good luck if you get a job.
  • L0gicB0mb508L0gicB0mb508 Member Posts: 538
    I rode around in a SUV in Kuwait. That was some seriously insane stuff. The way they drive there makes any US city look like a bunch of wussies. I personally like the kids crawling around on the dash as mom weaves in and out of traffic at 90MPH.

Yeah 7 don't believe that crap about the contractors being safe. You may get sent to a FOB. There is a pretty good chance of being fired upon there.

If any of you do get a job, it's and adventure. Definitely something you will never forget. It has changed my life and how I personally look at life/living.
    I bring nothing useful to the table...
    I rode around in a SUV in Kuwait. That was some seriously insane stuff. The way they drive there makes any US city look like a bunch of wussies. I personally like the kids crawling around on the dash as mom weaves in and out of traffic at 90MPH.

Yeah 7 don't believe that crap about the contractors being safe. You may get sent to a FOB. There is a pretty good chance of being fired upon there.

If any of you do get a job, it's and adventure. Definitely something you will never forget. It has changed my life and how I personally look at life/living.

but it's a nice chance to try driving 180Km/hr or 200 km/hr when the street is empty ;) but yeah...it's insane.

• TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    People drive well over 100mph in the UK regularly. Come here, less chance of being kidnapped.
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Yeah 7 don't believe that crap about the contractors being safe. You may get sent to a FOB. There is a pretty good chance of being fired upon there

Uh, yeah... That is where some of our people are at icon_wink.gif

People drive well over 100mph in the UK regularly. Come here, less chance of being kidnapped.
    Yeah, but I would rather be in a large SUV than one of those small European cars going 100 MPH icon_lol.gif
    Uh, yeah... That is where some of our people are at icon_wink.gif

Yeah, but I would rather be in a large SUV than one of those small European cars going 100 MPH icon_lol.gif

You don't mean those ugly things that rollover do you? I wouldn't. German cars handle beautifully at those speeds on all levels, steering, braking, manoeverability and are very safe in an emergency. My three year old VW hit 135MPH effortlessly and is as solid as a Panzer tank.
    Turgon wrote: »
    You don't mean those ugly things that rollover do you? I wouldn't. German cars handle beautifully at those speeds on all levels, steering, braking, manoeverability and are very safe in an emergency. My three year old VW hit 135MPH effortlessly and is as solid as a Panzer tank.

I'm sorry but this all I can think of when I think of European cars:

Small_efficient_cars_in_the_Netherlands.jpeg

I realize there are BMWs, and VWs that are nice sized.
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□

Being so light has its disadvantages as well (major lulz): Smart Fortwos Being Thrown Into Amsterdam Canal, For Fun
    dynamik wrote: »
    Being so light has its disadvantages as well (major lulz): Smart Fortwos Being Thrown Into Amsterdam Canal, For Fun

Ha Ha Ha icon_lol.gificon_cheers.gif
    Turgon wrote: »

It's not the speed that makes driving there dangerous. The WAY people drive is what makes it dangerous. They have no fear of death. They believe that if something happens it is God's will. They just cut you off to the point of causing an accident and just keeeeep on ah truckin haha. If you drive in a city, its like riding in bumper cars. They really don't care if they hit each other it seems like. Just about every car you see on the streets has one or two decent dents in it.
  • 7lowe7lowe Member Posts: 178 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Yeah, they said that the contractors stayed at the FOB and that there was a chance of being fired on. But, they acted like staying there imaging drives was relatively safer than where they had to go and what they had to do. :P

7lowe wrote: »
    Yeah, they said that the contractors stayed at the FOB and that there was a chance of being fired on. But, they acted like staying there imaging drives was relatively safer than where they had to go and what they had to do. :P

lol Yeah until a 107mm rocket hits your building.
    It's not the speed that makes driving there dangerous. The WAY people drive is what makes it dangerous. They have no fear of death. They believe that if something happens it is God's will. They just cut you off to the point of causing an accident and just keeeeep on ah truckin haha. If you drive in a city, its like riding in bumper cars. They really don't care if they hit each other it seems like. Just about every car you see on the streets has one or two decent dents in it.

lool...well, personally I don't think it's related to God or anything. I think it is more of a habit now. If you drive in the left lane, somebody will come from behind and start flashing if you are driving slower than 140...sometime 160(or 180) if the street is empty.

And there's a general sense of carelessness...that too causes a lot of problems.

UnixGuy wrote: »
    lool...well, personally I don't think it's related to God or anything. I think it is more of a habit now. If you drive in the left lane, somebody will come from behind and start flashing if you are driving slower than 140...sometime 160(or 180) if the street is empty.

And there's a general sense of carelessness...that too causes a lot of problems.

I dunno, that's just what I heard. It could be some retard speak rumor, but who knows lol. All I know is I don't care to cruise around Kuwait City anytime soon.
    I dunno, that's just what I heard. It could be some retard speak rumor, but who knows lol. All I know is I don't care to cruise around Kuwait City anytime soon.

hehe yeah I think it's just humor. I do field support, and I spend hell lot of time in my car. My driving (and parking) skills are great now heheh.

Ah the little cars... Yes I see what you mean. Not keen on them myself but some are quite well put together and zippy. I guess whatever floats your boat ;)