login/login local ?

E1or0E1or0 Banned Posts: 58 ■■□□□□□□□□
When setting up a VTY Password for SSH Sessions what is the difference between login and login local?

Comments

• jason_lundejason_lunde Member Posts: 567
    You can use something like
    line vty 0 4
    login
    password cisco

and use a password specific to that line or lines
    or you can use

line vty 0 4
    login local

and use a local username/password on the cisco device. This would use the user from a line like:
    username cisco privilige 15 password cisco
  • E1or0E1or0 Banned Posts: 58 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I know but what is really the difference of using just login or login local? is it because you have more control of who's accessing your equipment? by providing a userid/pw? the local part is what i don't get
  • jjbrogjjbrog Member Posts: 149
    I don't know a whole lot abut that part but I think just using the line vty 0 4 pass cisco login basecly just makes you use a password to telnet login local makes you use a username and password assigned locally to a user. login local I know is used when setting up sdm on a router.
    Started a forum for networking students, its new and needs people!
    http://netadminstudents.zxq.net/phpBB3/
    HTC students encouraged to join :)
    local makes you use a username and password assigned locally to a user
    sounds good to me jjbrog, but you can still open up a session remotely to your equipment and authenticate your self with that "locally" userid/pw, is not local anymore???
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Local means to check the user/pass against the locally configured database (configured on that router).

The login command just asks for the password you have on the vty line like others have stated.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
    Local means to check the user/pass against the locally configured database (configured on that router).

The login command just asks for the password you have on the vty line like others have stated.
    Right but when you connect to a remote host through ssh it ask you for that userid/pw it does not give you the option to login with just the pw, that's where I'm confuse, from my point of view when creating ssh you have to use login local, login cannot be use by it self for a ssh configuration ? Am I right :rollicon_confused.gif You can open up a telnet session with just the pw and thats about it, but ssh they demand userid/pw not only a pw

login local is it just for ssh configurations and not telnet ? I bet is so simple is just that is not clicking here yet

by the way I'm working on a ssh config not telnet
    I think you are putting way too much thought into this. Login just checks the password and can't be used by SSH as it needs a username as you know. Login local (or to a server with a user/pass database) can be used for telnet or SSH.
    You're right networker050184, I'm putting too much pressure on this
    let see if I get this now icon_rolleyes.gif

Login can be use only in a telnet config but not for SSH

now Login Local can be use for both - Correct ?
    Correct. You need a user/pass databse for SSH.
    Oki Dokie my friend, Thanks a lot for your time and support, Now is clickingicon_cheers.gif

I'm presenting the CCNA exam pretty soon, so I'm trying to do as much labs a possible, I tend to over analyze everything you know the (why's/how's), that's what gets me stuck some times

Anyway Thank you again

networker050184