Setting up DHCP?? Clueless

dan87951dan87951 Member Posts: 107
I have a cisco 2620 and a 2924-EN switch. My goal is just to setup a basic DHCP server to hand ip address to the clients connected to the switch, and of course the cisco lab does a crappy job of explaining it. Say I wanted the ip address range all to be 10.10.10.5-10.10.10.100 to be addressed to the clients so the DHCP server could hand out any ipaddress to the clients as long as its within that range. What is the basic setup parameters to do this? Do I have to run a routing protocol if I'm on using one router? If I'm using two routers I can understand a routing protocol because it has to broadcast its DHCP information over the protocol correct? Help me understand..

Thanks

Comments

• keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
    if i understand this correctly .. i'll say run dhcp from your server, static your router(s) and switch(es) ip addresses and thats about it .. unless u plan to do vlans ... then you'll get the detailed answer icon_cool.gif
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons
  • dan87951dan87951 Member Posts: 107
    That doesn't work.. theres alot more to it. Have you setup DHCP before? Because I have done what you said and nothing works.
  • nanoagenanoage Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    http://www.routergod.com/hanktheangrydrunkendwarf/

alright this guy at www.routergod.com is a little wierd but informative so just cut through the crazy stuff and you should be fine.
  • garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    dan87951 wrote:
    That doesn't work.. theres alot more to it. Have you setup DHCP before? Because I have done what you said and nothing works.

Surely he knows DHCP. If you don't understand that assign your router an IP put in the gateway & create a DHCP Pool. If you know what you want to do & it’s only a matter of typing in the commands, get some literature of the net & Cisco’s site about commands. GL.
  • Fu LoserFu Loser Member Posts: 123
    Wouldn't you want a server to set up DHCP so your routers don't waiste processing power? I figured you get a lot more options setting up DHCP with a server then you would a router.

oh yeah, that routergod guy, whacked out of his mind! icon_eek.gif
  • rossonieri#1rossonieri#1 Member Posts: 799 ■■■□□□□□□□
    try this :
    1. set up your dhcp on the w2k machine + dont forget to exclude your router ip from the DHCP range.
    2. set the 2 router to pass udp 67/68 traffic for DHCP lease on the global config :
    config#ip dhcp-server x.x.x.x -> your dhcp server ipaddr.
    config#ip forward-prot udp 67
    config#ip forward-prot udp 68
    3. set the e0 interface to pass DHCP to client :
    config-if#ip helper-address x.x.x.x -> your dhcp server ipaddr

have a nice try :)
    the More I know, that is more and More I dont know.