Odd NFS Share Issue...?

Turns out that it was a bug...
rhn.redhat.com | Red Hat Support
https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=143897

So ServerA has two NFS shares on it...

/Here

/Some/Other/Share

ServerB can mount /Here but not /Some/Other/Share

There is no error message - the mount command just causes my ssh session to hang. icon_sad.gif

(mount -t nfs ServerA:/Some/Other/Share /Some/Folder)

Permissions look good & it's shared rw / mounted rw icon_scratch.gif

No Selinux icon_scratch.gif

Not a firewall issue because the other share works icon_scratch.gif

I have used IP rather than hostname icon_scratch.gif

I'm really at a loss... so, if anyone has any ideas / things they would suggest I check - it would be greatly appreciated! icon_cheers.gif

Edit:

Just want to add: I get " authenticated mount request from" on the nfs server, so form there it's looking good... icon_neutral.gif

Comments

• UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    Ok let's try one by one.

1. On serve A, go # cd /Some/Other/Share

try to create a text file and read write on it...just to make sure the directory is ok.

2. On server A, ls -ltr /Some/Other/Share

check the permissions and the owner and the group...make sure it's identical to /Here.

3. df -k on Server B...cross check and confirm that you are mounting on a free directory that is not your "current directoy" and it's not occupied.
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Check out my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/DRJic8vCodE 

• jbrad95706jbrad95706 Member Posts: 225
    UnixGuy wrote: »
    Ok let's try one by one.

1. On serve A, go # cd /Some/Other/Share

try to create a text file and read write on it...just to make sure the directory is ok.

2. On server A, ls -ltr /Some/Other/Share

check the permissions and the owner and the group...make sure it's identical to /Here.

3. df -k on Server B...cross check and confirm that you are mounting on a free directory that is not your "current directoy" and it's not occupied.

1. I can create, edit, and remove files in that directory.
    3. No issue here.

2. The permissions are not the same; however, I have requested that for troubleshooting we change them to be.

There's a series of different owners, permissions, acls in the path. icon_sad.gif (Think of the game "Pick-up-sticks" but with permissions, etc...)

Edit: The root of the path has the same permissions, and I tired mounting just that folder, but I ran into the same issue. icon_scratch.gif

Edit: Also, showmount -a shows both the root of the path and the path mounted. But I am only exporting the full path... is it possible that it is being shared in another way, and this is causing an issue with nfs... I have read that you can not share both the root and the path with nfs.

Edit: This folder one ServerA is "really" sitting on an emc storage device. I don't think that this would cause an issue - as far as the system is concerned it's a scsi drive. (I think)
    ok, I got lost a bit.

showmount -a on Server A shows that the directories are mounted correctly on Server A ? you was able to generate I/O on these directories, no issues there.

showmount -a on Server B ? anything odd ? you don't see this "ServerA:/Some/Other/Share /Some/Folder" mounted on Server B right ?

Now for the storage difference...As of my knowledge, this should be irrelevant to network sharing. I don't think the problem is there, as long as the directory is accessible from Server A itself...the media should be transparent to Server B in theory.

I hope this command works on Red Hat, try it out:

On Server A:

# fstype /Here

# fstype /Some/Other/Share

On Server B:

# fstype /Some/folder

if this command doesn't work on Red Hat, just lookup the command that gives you the characteristic of the file system. While this would be a rare incident, just compare the "fragment size, sector size, inodes" of both file systems on Server A & B.

Let us know if there's any difference.

ok, I got lost a bit.

showmount -a on Server A shows that the directories are mounted correctly on Server A ? you was able to generate I/O on these directories, no issues there.

showmount -a on Server B ? anything odd ? you don't see this "ServerA:/Some/Other/Share /Some/Folder" mounted on Server B right ?

Now for the storage difference...As of my knowledge, this should be irrelevant to network sharing. I don't think the problem is there, as long as the directory is accessible from Server A itself...the media should be transparent to Server B in theory.

On Server A:

# fstype /Here

On Server B:

# fstype /Some/folder

if this command doesn't work on Red Hat, just lookup the command that gives you the characteristic of the file system. While this would be a rare incident, just compare the "fragment size, sector size, inodes" of both file systems on Server A & B.

1. On both systems showmount is now showing the correct info. (There was some old info in the rmtab file...)

2. I can still not mount the share.

3. On the server that is sharing - I can write to the folders.

4. fstype doesn't work. I'll have to do a little poking around to find the rhel tool for gathering this info - I'll get back to you with the sector/etc... results. (df -T does list the filesystem type as ext3) icon_study.gif
    jbrad95706 wrote: »
    1. On both systems showmount is now showing the correct info. (There was some old info in the rmtab file...)

2. I can still not mount the share.

3. On the server that is sharing - I can write to the folders.

4. fstype doesn't work. I'll have to do a little poking around to find the rhel tool for gathering this info - I'll get back to you with the sector/etc... results. (df -T does list the filesystem type as ext3) icon_study.gif

since showmount gave initial inaccurate results, looks like something was hanging.

I on Server B...try to remove the target directory, and then mkdir again....Also, try to unshare and then unmount the directory in question on Server A. Then mount it and share it and try to mount it in Server B.

Sometimes NFS hangs like this for different reasons such as delays in networks or somebody might have tried to unmount it or unshare while some users are accessing...things like that.

since showmount gave initial inaccurate results, looks like something was hanging.

I on Server B...try to remove the target directory, and then mkdir again....Also, try to unshare and then unmount the directory in question on Server A. Then mount it and share it and try to mount it in Server B.

Sometimes NFS hangs like this for different reasons such as delays in networks or somebody might have tried to unmount it or unshare while some users are accessing...things like that.

I removed and re-added the mount point, and tried to remount, but the system still hangs.

I've unshared the directory, and now I am only trying to share the root of the path. Still no luck.

Just to add a little more info...

If I'm watching /var/log/messages on ServerA (tail -f /var/log/messages)

When I try and mount the share, I get the message:

Dec 3 13:00:00 ServerA mountd[25209]: authenticated mount request from ServerB-IP:PORT for /Some (/Some)

...but my ssh session to ServerB just hangs at this point, and the share never mounts.

[root@ServerB ~]#mount -t nfs ServerA:/Some /Mount/Point icon_sad.gif (Hung)

Edit: I have also tried to mount this share on other servers, with no joy.

Edit: One more thing.... both of the shares are "really" sitting on an emc storage device, but there is a difference... one is mounted to ServerA with acl support and one isn't. The one without is the one that works. I just put in the request to set them both with or without to see if this breaks/fixes one of the shares.
    Since you checked everything...

I have no experience with EMC itself...but tell me, by ACL support you mean ACL on your file system in Server A or something in EMC storage side ? can you try to edit that and see ?

I removed and re-added the mount point, and tried to remount, but the system still hangs.

I've unshared the directory, and now I am only trying to share the root of the path. Still no luck.

Just to add a little more info...

If I'm watching /var/log/messages on ServerA (tail -f /var/log/messages)

When I try and mount the share, I get the message:

Dec 3 13:00:00 ServerA mountd[25209]: authenticated mount request from ServerB-IP:PORT for /Some (/Some)

...but my ssh session to ServerB just hangs at this point, and the share never mounts.

[root@ServerB ~]#mount -t nfs ServerA:/Some /Mount/Point icon_sad.gif (Hung)

Edit: I have also tried to mount this share on other servers, with no joy.

Edit: One more thing.... both of the shares are "really" sitting on an emc storage device, but there is a difference... one is mounted to ServerA with acl support and one isn't. The one without is the one that works. I just put in the request to set them both with or without to see if this breaks/fixes one of the shares.

Since you checked everything...

I have no experience with EMC itself...but tell me, by ACL support you mean ACL on your file system in Server A or something in EMC storage side ? can you try to edit that and see ?

It's the linux filesystem acl. (getfacl/setfacl --- from fstab -> defaults,acl)
    It's the linux filesystem acl. (getfacl/setfacl --- from fstab -> defaults,acl)

Ok then, so only specific set of users on Server A are allowed to use that directory...I think u should remove ACL

Ok then, so only specific set of users on Server A are allowed to use that directory...I think u should remove ACL

I put in a request to do that for troubleshooting, but it was shot down... icon_sad.gif

I'm trying to recreate the issue on another server - one that I will be able to make the change one. icon_wink.gif
    I put in a request to do that for troubleshooting, but it was shot down... icon_sad.gif

I'm trying to recreate the issue on another server - one that I will be able to make the change one. icon_wink.gif

I think this is the reason, because depend on the ACL...most probably it allows only certain users on Server A to access it...so it should prevent Server B from having Read/Write access for sure. it makes sense now :)

you try it and let us know the result

On Server A:

# fstype /Here

On Server B:

# fstype /Some/folder

On RH tune2fs gives me the info I needed for that, and everything looked good.

As far as checking out the ACL issue - this issue has been put on hold at the moment, but when I get back to it / find the issue - I'll update this thread.

Thanks again!