Another MAXTOR ATHENA

rossonieri#1rossonieri#1 Member Posts: 799 ■■■□□□□□□□
well, the subject says all. icon_cry.gif
the last 3 from the marketing, the same manufacturing date ( 2001 ),
so there are total of 9 useless MAXTOR drives on my desk with different name -> ROMULUS, ATHENA, bla bla bla...
and it cost about 40 pounds on hdd-tools.com for 3 succesful drive repair,
or should i just take 'em to home?
the More I know, that is more and More I dont know.

Comments

• TranscenderMichaelTranscenderMichael Member Posts: 187
    Sorry, Maxtor drives aren't named in the States - what sizes are they? And do they have data on them that you want recovered?

I've not had any problems with Maxtor drives - I've used them for years. In fact, I just bought a new 160GB drive for $46 after rebate. At that price, why recover small drives?
    TranscenderMichael (at hotmail.com)
    MCSE+I, MCDST, MCDBA, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CNE, CCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, A+
    Kaplan IT
    Powering Transcender and Self Test Software
    Served proudly, USArmy, 98C, '89-'92
  • rossonieri#1rossonieri#1 Member Posts: 799 ■■■□□□□□□□
    yes, they have data - but have already been daily backed up . i'm just wondering if i can take em home for my lab :) ( wow, 9 drives with 20GB each 5400rpm - not bad ) well, the seagate doesnt have any problem at all. i still have a BigFoot with 1.2GB and working just fine.
  • RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Maxtor are just like any company that makes drives. Every so often they run into a batch of bad parts or an incorrect process on the assembly line and a little while later they have a batch that fails.
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007
  • Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    RussS wrote:
    Maxtor are just like any company that makes drives. Every so often they run into a batch of bad parts or an incorrect process on the assembly line and a little while later they have a batch that fails.

I have 3 failed Maxtor drives. I will never buy anything they make again. Over 250gb of lost data, that I can not afford to have recovered, at least not right now. It's not like super critical data, but a ton of emails, and over 5000 mp3s as well, aside from my own personal file folder....
    i remain, he who remains to be....
  • rossonieri#1rossonieri#1 Member Posts: 799 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Ricka182 wrote:

I have 3 failed Maxtor drives. I will never buy anything they make again. Over 250gb of lost data, that I can not afford to have recovered, at least not right now. It's not like super critical data, but a ton of emails, and over 5000 mp3s as well, aside from my own personal file folder....

wow, that looked painful ricka182. icon_sad.gif
  • /usr/usr Member Posts: 1,768
    I've seen them all fail. I don't really have a preference for a specific type. If I lose personal data because of it, I may change my mind though. icon_wink.gif
  • ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I couple of years ago Seagate had a bad batch and before that it was Western Digital. They seem to take turns.
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    ajs1976 wrote:
    I couple of years ago Seagate had a bad batch and before that it was Western Digital. They seem to take turns.

I've yet to have trouble with Maxtor - so I use them exclusively now. WD had a bad run a number of years back - and I just won't use them any longer (plus they burn out of boxes I fix more frequently than any other drive).

Seagate and Fujitsu thus far have been good, just don't have the life span of a Maxtor. IBM is a last resort.....very last resort.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?