Options

Extreme Networks Products

PremierCiscoPremierCisco Member Posts: 221
Hi All,

I quick question if i may. Extreme Networks switches, they use command line interface.

Is their a hugh difference from cisco switches and routers.

I suppose the question im really asking is if you can find your way around a cisco router and switch is the product line from Extreme Network that much different?.

Also the way cisco have their certification through self paced material etc. Can you go down the same path for extreme network certification.?

Regards

Eamonn
Bachelor of Science in Computer Services Management - Limerick Institute of Technology
Higher Certificate in Science in Computer Services - Limerick Institute of Technology
Certificate Information Technology and Computing - The Open University
Certificate in Computing and Mathematics -The Open University

Comments

• Options
    RTmarcRTmarc Member Posts: 1,082 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hi All,

I quick question if i may. Extreme Networks switches, they use command line interface.

Is their a hugh difference from cisco switches and routers.

I suppose the question im really asking is if you can find your way around a cisco router and switch is the product line from Extreme Network that much different?.

Also the way cisco have their certification through self paced material etc. Can you go down the same path for extreme network certification.?

Regards

Eamonn

I've been a long time fan of Extreme Networks. Their CLI is very similar to Cisco's but obviously they have varying commands. Honestly, once you understand the basics of any CLI you can pretty well feel your way around all others.

They do have a certification path but it isn't nearly as expansive as Cisco for obvious reason. I can't answer whether or not they allow self-study. When I was looking at them a while back I don't recall that being an option.

Extreme Networks
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    RTmarc wrote: »
    I've been a long time fan of Extreme Networks. Their CLI is very similar to Cisco's but obviously they have varying commands. Honestly, once you understand the basics of any CLI you can pretty well feel your way around all others.

They do have a certification path but it isn't nearly as expansive as Cisco for obvious reason. I can't answer whether or not they allow self-study. When I was looking at them a while back I don't recall that being an option.

Extreme Networks

Just looking at the website it looks like you can set up an account, download the student guide for free and sit an online test.
  • Options
    PremierCiscoPremierCisco Member Posts: 221
    Hi Folks,

Thanks for your quick replies, been a bit busy at work..

Regards

Eamonn
    Bachelor of Science in Computer Services Management - Limerick Institute of Technology
    Higher Certificate in Science in Computer Services - Limerick Institute of Technology
    Certificate Information Technology and Computing - The Open University
    Certificate in Computing and Mathematics -The Open University