Passed 70-294 Today

Well I passed this test today with a 769. I've passed the 4 core courses and this one was my lowest score yet. The test had 44 questions with a couple of fairly easy SIMS and some VERY strange and confusing questions. I think I could study for another month and probably not make much higher.

Studying the basics for this test will really help. Group Policy was the biggie on the test. You should not have a hard time passing if you just stick to the basics and learn all of the 5 topic areas for this exam.

Used Preplogic and Ucertify tests along with the MSPress CD tests. Used the MCSE Nutshell and MSPress books.

Well, it's on the 70-270 and then 70-298 and 20-299.

Good Luck to anyone else that wants to take this test.

Comments

• bwcartybwcarty Member Posts: 422 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats...I thought 294 was the hardest of the MCSE exams.
    Help eradicate blood cancers with a donation to the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society.
  • Super99Super99 Member Posts: 274
    Congrats on the test. I'm studying for mine. I hope I pass.
    Thanks for the tip on the 5 topics, I'll focus on that.
  • Todd BurrellTodd Burrell Member Posts: 280
    The strange thing is that I did not think this was that hard of a test when I was taking it. But I think this is the hardest test to score more than 800. There were just a lot of WEIRD questions that kinda fit the subject matter...

Overall I thought 70-293 was harder, but this one was more difficult to score high...
  • impelseimpelse Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■□□□□□□
    how do you feel ucertify?
    Stop RDP Brute Force Attack with our RDP Firewall : http://www.thehost1.com
    It is your personal IPS to stop the attack.

• kenny831kenny831 Member Posts: 266
    impelse wrote: »
    how do you feel ucertify?

+1, I was disappointed with Ucertify for the 291, how was it for the 294. Heck I won't waste my time, Selftest all the way.

Oh yeah, congrats! Thanks for your thoughts/ insight on this test.
  • Todd BurrellTodd Burrell Member Posts: 280
    I have used Ucertify, the MS Press CD, and Preplogic for all 4 core tests. Here are my detailed thoughts on all three:

MS Press CD probably has the best questions, because these tests are normally BRUTAL. But they offer good explanations and I think these help the most.

Preplogic also offers very good questions and great explanations. And I know that some of the questions on Preplogic have been EXACTLY the same as the actual test questions, or at least very close. So Preplogic is also very good.

Ucertify has been very good for 290, 291, and 293, but I was disappointed with the 294 material. Normally Ucertify questions are the easiest of the 3 I have used, but the problem with the 294 tests was that there were MANY questions related to 291 or 293. So I would NOT recommend using Ucertify for 294. The final test for 294 from Ucertify had 40 questions and around 20 were 291/293 related and not specific to the 294 test.

The strange thing is that all three of these test providers had a LOT of questions on Certificates for their 294 prep, but there were NO certificate questions on the 294 test at all? So this was very strange.

For 294 I would recommend the MS Press CD and Preplogic. Both were very good. The Nutshell book is a must and the Syngress book helped a lot as well. And the MS Press book was pretty good for 294.

Just be sure to have a good understanding of the following topics:
    1) Group Policy - this test could have easily been called GP plus a few other questions.
    2) Global Catalog, Universal Group Caching and FSMO roles.
    3) Sites - understand how these work and know the AD Sites and Services interface in detail
    4) Software installation - understand assign vs. publish and all of the different options
    5) Know the details of doing an AD restore
    6) Understand security groups and nesting
    7) Know the sections of GP (computer and user configs)

Know this and the test should be and easy pass.

Thanks
  • Super99Super99 Member Posts: 274
    Thats 7 topics hahahahaha
    Thanks Todd
  • kenny831kenny831 Member Posts: 266
    I have used Ucertify, the MS Press CD, and Preplogic for all 4 core tests. Here are my detailed thoughts on all three:

MS Press CD probably has the best questions, because these tests are normally BRUTAL. But they offer good explanations and I think these help the most.

Preplogic also offers very good questions and great explanations. And I know that some of the questions on Preplogic have been EXACTLY the same as the actual test questions, or at least very close. So Preplogic is also very good.

Ucertify has been very good for 290, 291, and 293, but I was disappointed with the 294 material. Normally Ucertify questions are the easiest of the 3 I have used, but the problem with the 294 tests was that there were MANY questions related to 291 or 293. So I would NOT recommend using Ucertify for 294. The final test for 294 from Ucertify had 40 questions and around 20 were 291/293 related and not specific to the 294 test.

The strange thing is that all three of these test providers had a LOT of questions on Certificates for their 294 prep, but there were NO certificate questions on the 294 test at all? So this was very strange.

For 294 I would recommend the MS Press CD and Preplogic. Both were very good. The Nutshell book is a must and the Syngress book helped a lot as well. And the MS Press book was pretty good for 294.

Just be sure to have a good understanding of the following topics:
    1) Group Policy - this test could have easily been called GP plus a few other questions.
    2) Global Catalog, Universal Group Caching and FSMO roles.
    3) Sites - understand how these work and know the AD Sites and Services interface in detail
    4) Software installation - understand assign vs. publish and all of the different options
    5) Know the details of doing an AD restore
    6) Understand security groups and nesting
    7) Know the sections of GP (computer and user configs)

Know this and the test should be and easy pass.

Thanks

Thanks Todd, that was very informative.
  • mikedisd2mikedisd2 Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Congrats on passing this one. I found 294 to be unneccessarily verbose and quite boring. I failed the first time from running out of time. I can't respect MS when they write exams this way.
  • EmpoweredBizTechEmpoweredBizTech Member Posts: 110
    Congrats on the pass I just passed this Monday myself with a 700 even and I thought I was rocking the test but this one is truly sneaky. Too date the hardest to me was the 293 as well but I actually did better there then this wierd!