Woohooo... JNCIP cleared..

hoogen82hoogen82 Member Posts: 272
Hi Guys,

It's so good to write about this today, I cleared the JNCIP exam. I haven't got my number yet.. But I am so damn happy about it.

Thank you all for the support extended ... and hopefully I can provide my insights for others to clear the lab.

Thanks,
Hoogen
IS-IS Sleeps.
BGP peers are quiet.
Something must be wrong.

Comments

• cdad2000cdad2000 Member Posts: 323
    Wow!! very kool congrats!! one day I would like to own both sides of the layer 3 spectrum. Does have Juniper engineers make more than cisco? And how easy is it to find a job? And for what type of company can you work for?

Thanks! I was thinking about going for juniper. I won't know where to start.
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Congrats!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congratulations!! icon_cheers.gif

After an appropriate celebration drunken_smilie.gif and recovery period, is the JNCIE next?
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • hoogen82hoogen82 Member Posts: 272
    Thank you all...

cdad : I think the money aspect is kind of same, but when you have both certifications it does probably give you the edge.. I have to still get my IE to find out... But for now I know my manager would give me a promotion just for IP :) Juniper is definetely picking up these days, I know there are a lot more job opening coming up... But I won't lie Cisco has the market share and hence more number of jobs. A search in monster/dice would tell you everything about it. I worked for Cisco before, trust me on this though.. The IOS is boring.... Junos is so much more fun..

For starters go to the juniper fasttrack program.. They still have some discounts going on, plus all the required materials to pass the exams.. once you get hands on.. you would love it..

Thanks Mike... Yes the JNCIE is next up... :)
    IS-IS Sleeps.
    BGP peers are quiet.
    Something must be wrong.
  • zoidbergzoidberg Member Posts: 365 ■■■■□□□□□□
    way to go man! that's fantastic!
    Thank You Zoidberg... I would have to agree with your previous comments about the proctor and the lab experience in Sunnyvale...Absolutely amazing... I don't think my Cisco attempts were so much fun at all...
    IS-IS Sleeps.
    BGP peers are quiet.
    Something must be wrong.
  • seraphusseraphus Member Posts: 307
    Magnificent news!

Congrats!!
    Lab first, ask questions later
  • Robert_74Robert_74 Member Posts: 38 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congratulations man, nice Christmas gift !! Mine is next week
    When do you plan for ..IE then ?
  • AldurAldur Member Posts: 1,460
    Way to go Hoogen!

How do you feel that the JNCIP compared to the CCIE? I plan on heading down the Cisco track at the beginning of the new year.
    "Bribe is such an ugly word. I prefer extortion. The X makes it sound cool."

-Bender
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Congratulations!
    Thank You all ... Aldur really appreciate your help and support man...

@Robert: All the best ... If you are not sure about the question ask the proctor.. they are amazingly helpful... I started rewiring my lab for JNCIE.. preparation starts this weekend.. I usually don't set myself a date... But I will keep going at it..
    IS-IS Sleeps.
    BGP peers are quiet.
    Something must be wrong.
    hoogen82 wrote: »
    Thank You all ... Aldur really appreciate your help and support man...

@Robert: All the best ... If you are not sure about the question ask the proctor.. they are amazingly helpful... I started rewiring my lab for JNCIE.. preparation starts this weekend.. I usually don't set myself a date... But I will keep going at it..

Nice. What's your lab setup like?
    I have about 14 J-Series routers, they are a mix of 6350,4350,2350,2320...
    IS-IS Sleeps.
    BGP peers are quiet.
    Something must be wrong.
    I have about 14 J-Series routers, they are a mix of 6350,4350,2350,2320...

Holy sh8t!

nice
  • TheShadowTheShadow Member Posts: 1,057 ■■■■■■□□□□
    good grief what'd you do rob a bank xx50's and xx20's even.
    Must have made your studies easy. Oh and congratulations.
    Who knows what evil lurks in the heart of technology?... The Shadow DO
    Thank You Shadow...Yes it does help most definitely... And robbing a bank would mean getting some M-Series :) To tell you guys more about my lab... its mostly material from work...The lab is also set up at work... saves my electricity bills...
    IS-IS Sleeps.
    BGP peers are quiet.
    Something must be wrong.
    Well.. Hopefully you guys like it... I love the green and red lights that glow on my T1 interfaces... Hopefully my cabling isn't that bad... I really love my lab :)
    IS-IS Sleeps.
    BGP peers are quiet.
    Something must be wrong.
  • phroggyphroggy Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Nice to have those resources at hand.

Congrats.
  • TheShadowTheShadow Member Posts: 1,057 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Well.. Hopefully you guys like it... I love the green and red lights that glow on my T1 interfaces... Hopefully my cabling isn't that bad... I really love my lab :)

Like it ?? groan must not fap.

Really nice hoogen82
    Who knows what evil lurks in the heart of technology?... The Shadow DO
    Hopefully my cabling isn't that bad... I really love my lab :)

I see why you love your lab.

Your cabling is pristine compared to my labs. I think I have birds nesting somewhere in the cabling...
  • ULWizULWiz Member Posts: 722
    Congrats on the pass. Nice lab as well. Always nice having some extra gear at work to lab up.
    CompTIA A+ Nov 25, 1997
    CompTIA Network+ March 7, 2008
    MCTS Vista 620 June 14, 2008
    MCP Server 290 Nov 15, 2008
    MCP Server 291 In Progress (Exam 12/28/09)
    Cisco CCENT In Progress
    MCP Server 291 In Progress
    C|EH In Progress
  • rlj_30rlj_30 Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    congrats, man! i'm new to juniper and i'm working on getting my jncia-er...you are an inspiration!
    An education isn`t how much you have committed to memory, or even how much you know. It`s being able to differentiate between what you know and what you don`t. - Malcolm Forbes
    Thank you all for your wishes... RLJ.. thank you.. I am humbled ... Good luck on your exam...
    IS-IS Sleeps.
    BGP peers are quiet.
    Something must be wrong.
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    TheShadow wrote: »
    Like it ?? groan must not fap.

Hahah. I love network pron too!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • densmadensma Member Posts: 40 ■■□□□□□□□□
    i have this lab coming up march 2010
    some tips will be appreciated
    well done
    Hi Guys,

It's so good to write about this today, I cleared the JNCIP exam. I haven't got my number yet.. But I am so damn happy about it.

Thank you all for the support extended ... and hopefully I can provide my insights for others to clear the lab.

Thanks,
    Hoogen
  • APAAPA Member Posts: 959
    congrats mate! :)

CCNA | CCNA:Security | CCNP | CCIP
    JNCIA:JUNOS | JNCIA:EX | JNCIS:ENT | JNCIS:SEC
    JNCIS:SP | JNCIP:SP
    Well my suggestions would be:

1. The book by Harry is the best guide for you. Do read every option that Harry has presented in the book. I think this has been said by a number of people, and it holds true.
    2. My final preparation involved making full length labs, preparing my own questions from the book and some Juniper Knowledge base. This was more so important for me to see how long I take to complete a full lab. Plus trust me sitting 8 hours is not a joke. Getting used to that fact is a good thing.
    3. BGP Routing policy is the most important thing you would see in the exam. If you mess up you are definitely looking at a fail.
    4. Getting the right IBGP design is also essential along with optimal routing. Read at least thrice and make sure you don't mess up this section.
    5. The scoring is a bit different when compared to Cisco... In Cisco you get assigned a specific value for a question. It maybe an easy one and so 1 point for it. So if you miss it then it's not a like big deal. I am not sure if I can disclose Juniper way of scoring, but what I can say is that the chances of failing in JNCIP is larger than the chances of failing in the Old CCIE lab exams. The scoring is very strict.

Well this is all that I could list, If I do remember something more I will let post again.

-Hoogen
    IS-IS Sleeps.
    BGP peers are quiet.
    Something must be wrong.
    hoogen82 is bang on with everything there.

get fast and efficient in putting very similar configs on a bunch of routers. one of the most useful and time saving commands i used was "load merge terminal relative". One of my top used commands in the lab :) If you're comfortable with that, it can save a ton of time. a "show config | display set" can help as well if you're not liking the feel of load merge.

master policies. it will make or break your exam. make sure you order them correctly! for example, don't delete communities and then try to match on them later :) it's easier to mess up than you think. for example, this was catching me in the lab:

you have: import policy [ c b ];
    you enter: set import policy [ a b c]
    resulting config: import policy [ c b a ];

that command does not overwrite, it appends new policies to the back of the list. you'll need to reorder the list, or just delete the whole line and put it back the way you want.

get familiar with
    help reference
    help topic
    help apropos

help apropos coulda saved me a ton of time searching for a dumb bgp knob that was staring me in the face, was just to mentally blind to see it.
  • densmadensma Member Posts: 40 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks guys. i need to work on my speed with full labs.
    seem like this forum is active and will be posting some questions that i may have.

I like to know if you guys had access to any EBGP peer router. customer, peers or transit
    densma wrote: »
    I like to know if you guys had access to any EBGP peer router. customer, peers or transit

How do you mean? In the certification lab? In our practice labs? Or in our jobs?

- cert lab... not sure how much i can say, but when you look at the m/t series track, it is completely geared towards building a fully functional service provider network, so.... fill in the blanks :)

- practice labs... not any real ones. would be overkill for practice, and actually potentially catastrophic if that's a real life ebgp peer. i had enough routers in my practice lab to setup any policies and route exchanges that may apply to a peer, customer, or transit session. it's not the volume of routes you need to worry about it, it what's you do with them. i guess two advantages of practicing with a huge routing table is to see what happens when you make mistakes. that and teach you patience. waiting for a huge bgp table to propigate your network seems like an eternity in a lab exam, but you don't want to jump the gun and start resetting things or changing config when all you really need is to sit back and give it another 45 seconds :P

- real life... tons ;)