Options

which Cisco CCNA Router and Switch Simulator?

jelexyjelexy Member Posts: 31 ■■□□□□□□□□
i want to practice with cisco router and switch using simulator, but not sure which one is better simrouter or netsim???

thanks

Comments

• Options
    LongbowLongbow Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I've been using Boson's netsim and have been completely satisfied with it. It came with plenty of labs and the ablility to create and configure networks of my own design. It supports the 1900/2950 switch and 2500/2600 router. It works well configuring frame relay, ISDN, access lists, NAT/PAT... Seems pretty complete.

I can't say anything about the other products out there. This is the only one I've used.

There are those that say you should get the real stuff - probably true, especially if you plan to move beyond CCNA.
  • Options
    I should have opened the sim up and looked, it supports:

Router- 800. 1000, 1600, 1700, 2500, 2600
    Switch- 1900, 2900, 5000

You would have to take out a second mortgage on your house to purchase all this hardware for a "real" lab :D
  • Options
    jelexyjelexy Member Posts: 31 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the quick reply. are you using the cisco branded boson ccna simulator or you are using the original boson netsim? I'm not sure what the real difference though!
  • Options
    JerzJerz Member Posts: 86 ■■□□□□□□□□
    jelexy wrote:
    I'm not sure what the real difference though!

Here is a comparison with Boson's CCNP network simulator...

http://www.boson.com/netsim/bd/netsim6.asp
  • Options
    The version I have came with one of the books I purchased - Richard Deals CCNA Study Guide.

http://covers.eppg.com/Jpeg_140-wide/0072229349.jpeg

It comes with a pared down version of Boson's full simulator which is used to work through the lessons in the book. For $125 dollars you can upgrade to the full Boson simulator, which I did.

The book is good. I use it to fill in the more detailed information that the Sybex 4th ed. book does not supply (the other book I use). This book (Richard Deal's) has far more detail information about things like NAT, STP, DDR and such.