Differences between Network+ and Server+

lespaulman74lespaulman74 Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi All,

Im an Network Admin and Im just now getting some certifications since my hours have been cut

Question is:
- what is the difference between the Network+ and Server+ exams. Which one is "higher"?

Im assuming the server+ exam is higher up, since its actually applied network principles.

Thx

Comments

• skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    They're different animals, in my opinion. I took Network+ last year, and I found it to be a larger volume of material than Server+ but not necessarily harder or easier by design. I don't think that Server+ is higher...if I had to pick, I'd say that Network+ is probably more difficult for a couple reasons - much wider array of topics and hence more things you have to know how to troubleshoot. I'd liken Server+ to A+.

(DISCLAIMER: do take all that with a grain of salt...I just took the Server+ beta exam so I have no idea how I did yet, and this is all just my opinion.)
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    What sort of work do you do? Those seem to be pretty low-level for someone with six years of experience. Also, the Server+ doesn't have a lot of recognition, so you might want to reconsider that one unless you have a specific need for it.
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    skrpune wrote: »
    I'd liken Server+ to A+.

In looking at the exam guidelines for these, (I'm studying up for the Server+ beta at the moment,) I'd say that this is an accurate assessment. A+ and Server+ both focus on hardware and operating systems, in addition to networking concepts. While Server+ certainly goes deeper into networking, (being that it focuses on network operating systems and servers,) it doesn't begin to cover the same kind of material that Network+ does in that area.

As for which one is more advanced, that's tough to tell since they're very different. In terms of recognition and prestige, the Network+ is definitely going to look better on your resume and be recognized by more employers. Server+ isn't completely foreign to employers, and the knowledge you pick up studying for it is certainly beneficial, so I say go for both. :D

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • NinjaBoyNinjaBoy Member Posts: 968
    ...Question is:
    - what is the difference between the Network+ and Server+ exams. Which one is "higher"?

What is the difference between the two? The Network+ concentrates on Network toplogy, cabling, the OSI, etc... While the Server+ concentrates on server hardware, software, etc...

As for which one is higher... Well they are both on the same level, just different areas. At least in the UK, see here: Welcome to CompTIA UK . Both have been assessment to the national qualification framework (NQF) at level 3.

-ken
  • Ron BrandtRon Brandt Member Posts: 55 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hi All,

Im an experienced Network Admin (6yrs) and Im just not getting some certifications since my hours have been cut

Question is:

Im assuming the server+ exam is higher up, since its actually applied network principles.

Thx
    The Network+ is like a CCENT. I wrote it last month and was quite easy. The Server+ is really A+ for enterprise. I'm doing the Server+ 2009 beta two weeks from today.
    BTW, I do not work in IT as a profession.
    Ron
  • TravR1TravR1 Member Posts: 332
    People are still doing the Beta for this?
    Austin Community College, certificate of completion: C++ Programming.
    Sophomore - Computer Science, Mathematics
  • darrensmitsdarrensmits Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi.
    Actually i am looking for the same information and here could i found something related to it so it help me for my proper guideline regarding the preparation..
    Thanks for sharing the post..
  • beben4512beben4512 Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    skrpune wrote: »
    They're different animals, in my opinion. I took Network+ last year, and I found it to be a larger volume of material than Server+ but not necessarily harder or easier by design. I don't think that Server+ is higher...if I had to pick, I'd say that Network+ is probably more difficult for a couple reasons - much wider array of topics and hence more things you have to know how to troubleshoot. I'd liken Server+ to A+.

(DISCLAIMER: do take all that with a grain of salt...I just took the Server+ beta exam so I have no idea how I did yet, and this is all just my opinion.)
    I accept with information: The Network+ concentrates on Network toplogy, cabling, the OSI. While the Server+ concentrates on server hardware, software
  • bigmantenorbigmantenor Member Posts: 233
    Holy necro thread Batman!
  • lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    Holy necro thread Batman!

Bot says that sounds great!

icon_lol.gif
  • asoftasoft Member Posts: 74 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Server+ is suitable if you want to take systems administration path, and Network+ is suitable if you want to take network administration path.
  • burfectburfect Member Posts: 128
    asoft wrote: »
    Server+ is suitable if you want to take systems administration path, and Network+ is suitable if you want to take network administration path.

Old thread but wanted to bump for this post... I really have no interest in the future in the networking path, my focus/goal is towards system administration/virtualization/servers so I would assume a good place to start would be Server+? Although involved to a slight degree, I talk to SA's and VCPs all day, all who seem to have no real knowledge of networking outside the basics. Maybe study for Network+ but skip the actual test?

I am thinking off the top of my head the tests actually worth taking (ie paying money for) would be MCSA/Server+/Security+ from the getgo as security seems to be a pressing issue no matter which path/vertical your in. Maybe the A+ just for resume purposes?
  • Params7Params7 Member Posts: 254
    burfect wrote: »
    Old thread but wanted to bump for this post... I really have no interest in the future in the networking path, my focus/goal is towards system administration/virtualization/servers so I would assume a good place to start would be Server+? Although involved to a slight degree, I talk to SA's and VCPs all day, all who seem to have no real knowledge of networking outside the basics. Maybe study for Network+ but skip the actual test?

I am thinking off the top of my head the tests actually worth taking (ie paying money for) would be MCSA/Server+/Security+ from the getgo as security seems to be a pressing issue no matter which path/vertical your in. Maybe the A+ just for resume purposes?

If you're looking for Sys Admin/engineering positions then knowledge of both networking and servers will come in handy. Getting server+ cert after reading through network+ study guides also will help.