is it legal to change the ios version?

knewboldknewbold Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
Sorry for posting a few basic newbie posts

Is it possible to change the ios version on the router?

the reason i ask is i have purchased a few routers from various sources and i would like the same IOS version on there

1 is quoted as having 1.4 with call manager express on there.

I have no idea how ciscos software licencing works - so i gather people just download the ios's from torrents - or is it legal to change the version?

Comments

• veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    knewbold wrote: »

the reason i ask is i have purchased a few routers from various sources and i would like the same IOS version on there

I have no idea how ciscos software licencing works - so i gather people just download the ios's from torrents - or is it legal to change the version?

It would be hard to upgrade them without changing the version :)

To keep it legal you should download them directly from Cisco though.
  • Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□

It is legal to change the ios version on a router. It is illegal to obtain the I.P. of a company via illegal means. If you have a copy of the IOS you have obtain from a cisco account (legally) then there should be no problem, going on torrents and seeking out IOS copies and using them is technically illegal.....
  • eduromereduromer Member Posts: 63 ■■□□□□□□□□

Well the IOS is sold per unit, unless you have a TAC Contract that covers an upgrade on all your devices which im guess you dont???, if you have only 1 image downloaded directly from cisco and 5 devices you are only allowed to upgrade that one devices like i said unless your contract covers them all.

That's what they told us when i was in the TAC hope this helps.
    "Almost..... is as good as Nothing"