Options

Boss is making me take Server+

worldmac1worldmac1 Member Posts: 121 ■■□□□□□□□□
Ok, Sooo my boss is telling me he needs me to get Server+ certified in conjunction with a server vendor certification for warranty work. The company will pay for the cert, all I have to do is pass it. I have been studying a little out of the Server+ Bible for SK0-001 and Exam Cram for SK0-002. The testing software "Boson" by Hungry minds has over 260 questions and I'm nailing the tests from there with 80% to 90% accuracy. I haven't looked at the questions from Exam Cram yet, but I plan to. I see that some of my weak points are SCSI, and DR stuff. I just need to read over that and refresh on the RAID levels. I feel as if I'm ready, but worried that I might be surprised on test day. Is there any advice or suggestions you guys could offer? Are the book questions pretty close to the format of the test questions?

As always, Thank you for any help or light you could shed on my dilemma...
Certs in Progress:

CCNP:Routing 300-101 15%
OIIIIIIIO

Comments

• Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Yes,

Stop the practice tests and learn the material. You will limit your 'surprises' and be more relaxed and prepared when you take your exam.

Use the practice tests to measure your strengths and areas you need to work further on, then study. Possibly revisit the practice exam a few days/week before the exam to confirm your understanding.

I'm not a fan of practice tests. Download the objectives, have experience and study via, labs, books, white papers, etc.. is going to stay with you much longer then memorizing a few questions for 1 day and letting all that pass out your head.

YMMV
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    worldmac1worldmac1 Member Posts: 121 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Plantwiz wrote: »
    Yes,

Stop the practice tests and learn the material. You will limit your 'surprises' and be more relaxed and prepared when you take your exam.

Use the practice tests to measure your strengths and areas you need to work further on, then study. Possibly revisit the practice exam a few days/week before the exam to confirm your understanding.

I'm not a fan of practice tests. Download the objectives, have experience and study via, labs, books, white papers, etc.. is going to stay with you much longer then memorizing a few questions for 1 day and letting all that pass out your head.

YMMV

As I said earlier, my boss is requiring it. I could care less about a overpriced useless Server exam, IMHO. I just took the practice tests to see where I rank after 10 years of experience. It all seems like common sense stuff, but it never hurts to ask others what their take is on the exams. Thanks for your honesty Plantwiz...
    Certs in Progress:

CCNP:Routing 300-101 15%
    OIIIIIIIO
  • Options
    bptunneybptunney Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    i am in similar circumstance did take exam yet? there is a new version coming out in February 2010
  • Options
    CompuTron99CompuTron99 Member Posts: 542
    bptunney wrote: »
    i am in similar circumstance did take exam yet? there is a new version coming out in February 2010

Looking at worldmac1's certs listed under the Avatar picture, I think the exam was taken and passed it.
  • Options
    Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    With 10 years experience you can walk in and pass.

I didnt study a bit, and passed the beta.