Options

Cheapest & Most Credible Certifications

phantom7phantom7 Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi,

I am currently studying for my MSc in Computing. I was however wanting to do some short courses, or preferably online tests/exams. I was wanting to know what there is available more from the persepctive of people who have done such tests etc and gained certifications.

The problem I am having is that there are so many companies offering such cetifications that I am not sure where to begin. NCSA Academy for instance.

I want to do the SCJA a little later, saving up for it just now. Until then even simple Microsfot Office qualifications, or any other credible Java certifications or HTML etc. Anything really.

Any advice?

Thanks in advance! icon_wink.gif

Comments

• Options
    petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    That's a hard one to put together-- cheap and credible.

Closest I can think of is Security+. Have heard good things about it. Only one exam, probably not requiring too much in the way of study material (probably needing more time than materials).

Outside of that, take an MS exam to get an MCP or MCTS. Unfortunately, though, all an MCP/MCTS says is "starting point".
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • Options
    phantom7phantom7 Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    thank you...
    will have a look at all 3 you mentioned now...

i know its difficult, credible and inexpensive, but worth a shot...

thanks for your help...

i look forward to some more suggestions from other members :)
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    phantom7 wrote: »
    Hi,

I am currently studying for my MSc in Computing. I was however wanting to do some short courses, or preferably online tests/exams. I was wanting to know what there is available more from the persepctive of people who have done such tests etc and gained certifications.

The problem I am having is that there are so many companies offering such cetifications that I am not sure where to begin. NCSA Academy for instance.

I want to do the SCJA a little later, saving up for it just now. Until then even simple Microsfot Office qualifications, or any other credible Java certifications or HTML etc. Anything really.

Any advice?

Thanks in advance! icon_wink.gif

What do you want to do? Programming?

If you tell us we could be a lot more help.
  • Options
    outsider73outsider73 Member Posts: 15 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Microsoft certifications are expensive when you need to get the real thing such as MCSE or MCITP:EA because you will have to pass 5 to 7 exams to get it. And each exam is about $125, so do your math and you'll that getting certified in M$ is as expensive as getting CISSP certified...
  • Options
    Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    MS exams add up, but there are also a lot of discounts as well. For the past 2-3 months they have offered 15-25% off most of the new generation exams, as well as running 2-for-1 deal on some of the exams.

I rarely pay full price (or at all) because I search for promotions and stuff.
  • Options
    hypnotoadhypnotoad Banned Posts: 915
    A lot of students can get a 50% discount on MS exams. I think the code is 72-XXX instead of 70-XXX. I dont know if the offer is still around though.
  • Options
    DiminutiveDiminutive Member Posts: 102 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Ordination in the Church of the SubGenius - $30 and you can marry people afterwards

Membership
    WIP: Win2008 MCITP Upgrade
  • Options
    laidbackfreaklaidbackfreak Member Posts: 991
    Diminutive wrote: »
    Ordination in the Church of the SubGenius - $30 and you can marry people afterwards

Membership

almost tempted to go for that one icon_smile.gif
    if I say something that can be taken one of two ways and one of them offends, I usually mean the other one :-)
  • Options
    BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
    that was too funny.
  • Options
    vColevCole Member Posts: 1,573 ■■■■■■■□□□
    hypnotoad wrote: »
    A lot of students can get a 50% discount on MS exams. I think the code is 72-XXX instead of 70-XXX. I dont know if the offer is still around though.

This is still available. icon_thumright.gif