Options

Squid

Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
Does anyone have experience with Squid (professionally or otherwise)? How difficult is it to set up ( I look at the documentation, and it does not seem that bad)? Are there any true benefits to using it in a SOHO or is it not worth it?

Comments

• Options
    GrynderGrynder Member Posts: 106
    I set it up for a company along with SquidGuard
    The company requested it not only to cut down on traffic (they have a T1 line for ~30 users) but also to stop users from accessing certain sites and tracking which users do what when. I did not set up transparent proxy because the company does not have a firewall that could handle that.
    Managers are very happy with the implementation.
    The installation of squid was not difficult, adding squidguard gave me a little trouble. I used CentOS5 and the official repositories do not include the latest version of squid so that took some searching. After the initial installation I installed webmin to do basic maintenance of squid through the browser.
    If I ever find the time I plan on setting squid up at home in transparent mode with my IPCop firewall.
  • Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I would look at Untangle for a SOHO. Squid is not bad but does require some understanding of linux were as Unatangle I believe is managed through a web interface.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    The difficulty depends on the complexity of your configuration. It's trivial to simply get it up and running, but you can certainly make things much more challenging if you delve into all the nitty-gritty details.

You can implement access controls, perform caching, etc. The benefits will depend on the circumstances/business needs.
  • Options
    Chivalry1Chivalry1 Member Posts: 569
    Overall squid is simple to setup. But the more features you want to implement the more linux you must understand. But for standard proxying I recommend it. I have setup squid for a number of companies. Setting up reporting, which you will need to do, can be challenging somewhat.

But overall its a better choice for a SMB to me versus purchasing a BlueCoat or Cisco solution.

**Note: I have heard of some Military bases using Squid as there proxying solution. Of course they had some linux/scripting guru's running the boxes.**
    "The recipe for perpetual ignorance is: be satisfied with your opinions and
    content with your knowledge. " Elbert Hubbard (1856 - 1915)
  • Options
    ColbyGColbyG Member Posts: 1,264
    It's really easy to setup, and there are a lot of guides out there for the more complicated features.