Stepping out of Comfort Zone, need help!

friend07friend07 Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
At the present time I am working in a warehouse doing lifting and had enough. I would like to get into the world of Tech Support and Troubleshooting, but not quite certain how to get started. I was told I should tey getting MSN Certified being that I am on the computer quite a bit and I do a little teaching to family members. I know I am going to be a fish out of water with the courses I need to take, but this truly what I would like to do. I would like to start with MCDST 70-271, 70-272 and I would also like to take a course to be certified with Windows 7 being that it is up-in-coming. Could someone please assist me with what I need to do to get certified. I would like to do this on-line. What software or books I may need and how often are the Exams available and maybe pricing. I know I am requesting quite a bit of information, but I would like to be certified with-in 6 months if possible.
Sorry, one more question... at the present time I am using Widows XP Pro, would I need Widows 7 to complete any of these courses? I'm sure the answer is no, but I wanted to toss it in there just in case.
Would truly appreciate any assistance.
Thank you!

Comments

• TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    friend07 wrote: »
    At the present time I am working in a warehouse doing lifting and had enough. I would like to get into the world of Tech Support and Troubleshooting, but not quite certain how to get started. I was told I should tey getting MSN Certified being that I am on the computer quite a bit and I do a little teaching to family members. I know I am going to be a fish out of water with the courses I need to take, but this truly what I would like to do. I would like to start with MCDST 70-271, 70-272 and I would also like to take a course to be certified with Windows 7 being that it is up-in-coming. Could someone please assist me with what I need to do to get certified. I would like to do this on-line. What software or books I may need and how often are the Exams available and maybe pricing. I know I am requesting quite a bit of information, but I would like to be certified with-in 6 months if possible.
    Sorry, one more question... at the present time I am using Widows XP Pro, would I need Widows 7 to complete any of these courses? I'm sure the answer is no, but I wanted to toss it in there just in case.
    Would truly appreciate any assistance.
    Thank you!

I wouldn't bother with any courses just yet. Try a good book you can take to work which has end of chapter questions to get you started. You would also want to invest in a laboratory at home you can play with. Even if it's meagre it will help you. A single PC with VMWare installed would be a good start. You need a playpen. You can download OS evaluations for free off the MS site.

The last bit of advice I can give you is to hang out on this forum and make some friends here because you get lots of help and not feel like you are on your own.
  • MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Turgon wrote: »
    I wouldn't bother with any courses just yet. Try a good book you can take to work which has end of chapter questions to get you started. You would also want to invest in a lavatory at home you can play with. Even if it's meagre it will help you. A single PC with VMWare installed would be a good start. You need a playpen. You can download OS evaluations for free off the MS site.

The last bit of advice I can give you is to hang out on this forum and make some friends here because you get lots of help and not feel like you are on your own.

It was amusing reading that as ^. :)

Yes, I second on getting a lab up and working in it as much as possible. It is an extremely important step that most people don't have the dedication to do.
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • friend07friend07 Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Okay people, now I know where I stand, lost! "LAB" I have no clue what this intails. Is this another computer I can practice on? Thank you!
    I do really appreciate all the input.
    Would you say I am about 2 yrs from being ready? I know it is a case by case basis, but it sounds like you know my knowledge.
  • Dr ITDr IT Member Posts: 351 ■■■■□□□□□□
    A lab is kinda of a software ( i should say ) where you install/set up mulitple OS to play around

for eg you could set up another OS on your XP using a software like Vmware, MS Virtual Server /PC

tats the most easiet and cost effective way to install / configure / test various other software

hope that helps

jus google for setting up labs and you will tons of info

alternatively try www.microsoft.com/windowsserversystem/virtualserver/
    Venturing in to the Unknown

Target 2018 : SSCP VCP- DTM

The Difference between the Ordinary and the Extra-Ordinary is that Little " Extra ".
  • TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Okay people, now I know where I stand, lost! "LAB" I have no clue what this intails. Is this another computer I can practice on? Thank you!
    I do really appreciate all the input.
    Would you say I am about 2 yrs from being ready? I know it is a case by case basis, but it sounds like you know my knowledge.

You are ready to make a contribution straight away in terms of working in an IT department if the entry level opportunity is there for you. However your chances of landing one will increase the more research you do on your own time.

A lab comprises at least one PC at home that you can install whatever it is you are attempting to learn something about and eventually master. You really can't expect to learn the hands on skills you are going to need without one. A lot of people use VMWare which you can install on a single PC. You can then use this to create all kinds of virtual environments simulating small server based networks to experiment on. For starters though I would be inclined not to dive into all that. Simply get your hands on a couple of affordable PCs and practice getting them built and then networked together using a hub or a cheap switch before throwing a lot of simulated networks together. You want to be learning how to put a PC together, how to install disks, memory, network cards, disk partitioning, OS installation and network configuration. Then really start to look at how the operating system works at a low level.
  • NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I would do these certifications in the following order..
    1. A+ certification
    2. Network+
    3. MCDST
    The steps in studying and receiving certification are as follows
    1. Download the exam objectives
    2. Gather your resources( books, CBT’S, Study guides,ECt)
    3. Study( everyday, if you can)
    4. Buy Voucher, and study some more
    5. Take practice exams, and study some more..
    6. Take the test.
    7. Pass

The steps do vary from person to person though....

Here are the A+ Objectives:
    CompTIA A+
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
    Could you please explain? It says that the following Exams will retire in Feb 2010, does this mean that no more Exams will be given for these courses?

CompTIA A+ certification validates the latest skills needed by computer support technicians. In order to get certified, you must pass two exams: CompTIA A+ Essentials and CompTIA A+ Practical Application. This voucher is valid for ONE of the following CompTIA A+ exams:
    220-701 for CompTIA A+ Essentials
    220-702 for CompTIA A+ Practical Application
    If you are certifying under the 2006 objectives, this voucher is also valid for ONE of the following exams. These exams will retire February 28, 2010.
    220-601 CompTIA A+ Essentials
    220-602 IT Technician
    220-603 Remote Support Technician
    220-604 Depot Technician
    Could I get any thoughts on this link/site for preparing for the A+ Exams? Thank you!
    CompTIA A+ Practice Test: Free A+ Practice Exams
  • LeuryLeury Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    The one retiring is the 2006 version. The one you want would be the 2009 version which would be 220-701 for CompTIA A+ Essentials 220-702 for CompTIA A+ Practical Application.
    Thank you so much for all the help. This may be all above me, but I am going and try and get started. If you hear anyone banging their head on the computer do not be alarmed it is only I.
  • sschmidlapsschmidlap Member Posts: 45 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hello. I really gravitated toward your post. We have some similarities. You're tired of warehouse, I am tired of customer service/call centers. I will be straight up, it's not going to be easy. Takes a lot of time and trial and error. Over the last year I finally got my A+ and Network+ then finished the MCSA/MCSE but still haven't landed even a part time tech job at 12/hour. Course, I haven't worked much since layoff in June 2008, and I suck at "marketing" or "selling" myself. I am hoping for you that maybe you could transfer into a desktop support role at your current employer. That might your best shot than trying to find something out of the blue.

Here is the good news. You CAN do this. And, you have received EXCELLENT advice from people on this site. I bet if you teardown/build a computer from scratch (take out the power supply/motherboard/every cable, etc) and go through Mike Meyers A+ book you could pass the A+ easily on your first attempt. What's really exciting is how easy it is to learn new products these days with the trial software and Virtual PC/VMWare etc. I would recommend Virtual PC to start. It's very easy to set up and use. I built a routed, two site single domain Active Directory network using two physical PCs and a bunch of virtual macines on each. Once you get the hang of it you can knock out a bunch of practice quickly.

Do you happen to live anywhere near Phoenix, AZ? Would love to help you in any little way I can because I know how overwhelming it can be to get started. A year ago I never heard of virtual machines. I had never worked on a server in my life. I have come a long way since then, so you can too. If you need help or have questions, hit me up. I will try my best.

Steve Schmidlap
    steveschmidlap@live.com
  • GAngelGAngel Member Posts: 708 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Thank you so much for all the help. This may be all above me, but I am going and try and get started. If you hear anyone banging their head on the computer do not be alarmed it is only I.

I still do it :)
  • captobviouscaptobvious Member Posts: 648
    GAngel bet me to it. crash.gif

Welcome to TE forums. Look around, many good people here with a wealth of knowledge.
  • PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Welcome to the forums!

I was doing massage therapy when I decided to go into IT. I started off with the A+ Essentials, then the A+ IT Technician ( 2006) versions.

Mike Myers writes a great book, easy to understand. I would start off with his book and immerse yourself. Maybe try to read a chapter every 2-3 days, depending on how much time you have. I would start with XP as that OS will be around for a while. Windows 7 would be a good one to work on later.

You could also get an older computer and practice playing with the hardware on it. I found it easier to work on software once I had a grasp of the hardware it runs on.

As far as virtual PCs, I have used the Microsoft Virtual PC 2007 -its free- and played with some machines. The nice thing about virtual machines is you can make a mistake and then start over again.
  • ChrisdfurChrisdfur Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Psoasman wrote: »
    Welcome to the forums!

I was doing massage therapy when I decided to go into IT. I started off with the A+ Essentials, then the A+ IT Technician ( 2006) versions.

Mike Myers writes a great book, easy to understand. I would start off with his book and immerse yourself. Maybe try to read a chapter every 2-3 days, depending on how much time you have. I would start with XP as that OS will be around for a while. Windows 7 would be a good one to work on later.

You could also get an older computer and practice playing with the hardware on it. I found it easier to work on software once I had a grasp of the hardware it runs on.

As far as virtual PCs, I have used the Microsoft Virtual PC 2007 -its free- and played with some machines. The nice thing about virtual machines is you can make a mistake and then start over again.

You racked up all those certs in three years? That makes me feel sooooo lazy.