Old Gateway Windows 98

friend07friend07 Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
The question I am about to ask hopefully I will be able to answer myself in the near future. I have a Gateway (Windows 9icon_cool.gif that I have not used in years and I was wondering if I could use this to study on to prepare for CompTIA A+ Essentials? I know that the chips and so forth in the Mother Board are probably obsolete, but could I train on this by upgrading to maybe Windows XP? I guess I would probably have to replace everything inside, is this correct? The model# of the Gateway is MICRO ATX FMN ESSENTIAL 400C. Would appreciate any assistance.

Comments

• RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I don't see any reason why not. But I would not put a single dime into upgrading anything on it. JUst use it to take apart and put back together. Many comouters of that size and age use proprietary parts, so replacing or upgrading components is more trouble than it is worth.

Also, see if you have anything like this in your area: Donate or recycle your old computer in Cincinnati, Ohio

You can volunteer and lget some good hands on at the same time.
  • TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    friend07 wrote: »
    The question I am about to ask hopefully I will be able to answer myself in the near future. I have a Gateway (Windows 9icon_cool.gif that I have not used in years and I was wondering if I could use this to study on to prepare for CompTIA A+ Essentials? I know that the chips and so forth in the Mother Board are probably obsolete, but could I train on this by upgrading to maybe Windows XP? I guess I would probably have to replace everything inside, is this correct? The model# of the Gateway is MICRO ATX FMN ESSENTIAL 400C. Would appreciate any assistance.

Keep the PC as it is and try and lay your hands on a second one that will run XP. Shop around and try ebay for that. You could use this gateway PC for many useful things. Examine how it is put together and try removing the components carefully and putting back together. You will be practicing networking this PC to the second one you will need. Postscript you might try adding a second drive, CDROM, more memory that kind of thing, but you will be looking at lower spec stuff than today. Ebay again.