ITIL V3 Foundations

Hi,

I am very interested in this ITIL V3 Foundations Certificate.

The reason I am interested in this certificate is primarily because I graduated with a degree in IT management. I read information regarding the ITIL and the material looks like the things I have been learning from my program (frameworks, change management, system analysis and lifecycles, and so on).

Would you recommend me this certificate?
I am a recent grad with a bit of experience however unrelated to IT.

Could you give me an estimated time frame it takes to be fully prepared for the exam (1 month? 3 months? 6 months? 2 years)

Is the real exam very very tricky? or at the basic common sense level? Big failure rate?

Thank you

Comments

• N3tWrkNutN3tWrkNut Member Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
    It shouldn't take long. I went to a 3 day class and passed it on the first time. It is a hard test because it is british english, to me anyways. I have been reading some of the internet postings on this and it is one of the in demand certs. It is 40 questions, multiple choice, usually 2 of the 4 make sense but they are really close.
  • morpheous7411morpheous7411 Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I sat for the ITIL V3 Foundation last Saturday and scored 38/40 ( 95%) percent on it. I think I over prepared for the test (which is a good thing) as I studied it for a little bit over one month. Here is a list of materials I used to prepare for the exam:

- CBT Nuggets
    - HP ITIL V3 Internal training (very good if you have a friend working for HP)
    - ITIL V3 Exam Prep. book
    - Practise questions from here: taruu :: ITIL Foundation Resources
    - Some practice questions from eMes
    - Google to search for more info about topics

If you read and understand the material, the exam itself is very straight forward, I did not see any tricky or poor worded question. For the most part you could tell what the question was looking for and there were no ambiguos answers ( at least on the questions I got).

I read the book twice, first time just getting the overall picture of what ITIL V3 Foundation is all about, and the second time I read it while taking notes. I also watched the CBT Nuggets and took notes as well twice. In the end everything started to make sense and I even started enjoying the material. Actually I have been looking into getting information about continuing with the Intermediate certification next year.

Good luck on your ITIL V3 journey.
    laptop wrote: »
    Hi,

I am very interested in this ITIL V3 Foundations Certificate.

The reason I am interested in this certificate is primarily because I graduated with a degree in IT management. I read information regarding the ITIL and the material looks like the things I have been learning from my program (frameworks, change management, system analysis and lifecycles, and so on).

I am a recent grad with a bit of experience however unrelated to IT.

Could you give me an estimated time frame it takes to be fully prepared for the exam (1 month? 3 months? 6 months? 2 years)

Is the real exam very very tricky? or at the basic common sense level? Big failure rate?

Thank you
    MCITP : Enterprise Administrator
    MCITP : Server Administrator
    CCNA : Cisco Certified Network Associate
    ITIL V3 Foundation
    CompTIA : A+, Network+, Security+, Server+

Currently working on Cisco Certified Network Professional CCNP's ROUTE Exam.
  • eMeSeMeS Member Posts: 1,875 ■■■■■■■■■□

Sure. This is an entry-level cert that primarily tests knowledge of ITIL terminology. It's table-stakes for jobs in many countries, and is becoming more and more popular in the US.

For the foundation exam <3 days. Higher level ITIL certifications require much more commitment.

Not tricky at all. Sometimes people in the US have a bit of trouble with it because it's written in Queen's English. (Side note - the language sometimes makes it very clear why we kicked them out of the US, and why we again had to smack them down back in 1812).

For foundation (all languages) the global pass rate hovers around 84%. (Shameless self-promotion - 100% of all students that have attended one of my ITIL Foundation classes have passed. Ditto for my sample questions - 100% that have used those have passed the exam).

Some more shameless self-promotion - ITIL V3 Foundation book to be released within 1 week.

MS
  • bwcartybwcarty Member Posts: 422 ■■■□□□□□□□
    eMeS wrote: »
    Some more shameless self-promotion - ITIL V3 Foundation book to be released within 1 week.

Do you have the ISBN?
    Help eradicate blood cancers with a donation to the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society.
    bwcarty wrote: »
    Do you have the ISBN?

Yes, but I will post it once I'm certain it will be available. Should be on 12/28.

MS
  • laptoplaptop Member Posts: 214
    eMes, thank you for taking your time to reply.

Will your book be available on amazon.ca?
    And
    Is your practice questions available on this forum? or do I have to be your student to obtaint the practice questions?

Thank you
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Yes, but I will post it once I'm certain it will be available. Should be on 12/28.

MS

Hey eMes,

When you it's available please send me PM please. I want to make sure I don't miss it.
    Will your book be available on amazon.ca?

Yes, or you will be able to get it directly from me.
    Is your practice questions available on this forum? or do I have to be your student to obtaint the practice questions?

The questions are only available through LinkedIn on my profile or if you are a student in one of my classes.

MS
    Hey eMes,

When you it's available please send me PM please. I want to make sure I don't miss it.

You bet.

MS
  • laptoplaptop Member Posts: 214
    Yes, or you will be able to get it directly from me.

The questions are only available through LinkedIn on my profile or if you are a student in one of my classes.

MS

I believe I have found you on linkedin.com. There is a website that requires me to register in order to access the practice questions. I also see an older version of the book published early in February 2009 on the site. What will be the difference between the 2009 version and the newer one?

Has anyone tried paying for practice materials such as this one? https://www.itilprime.com/Public/uiRegistrationOverview.aspx
    I believe I have found you on linkedin.com. There is a website that requires me to register in order to access the practice questions. I also see an older version of the book published early in February 2009 on the site. What will be the difference between the 2009 version and the newer one?

Has anyone tried paying for practice materials such as this one? https://www.itilprime.com/Public/uiRegistrationOverview.aspx

No, you haven't found me. There is no website that I am aware of that requires registration to view my practice questions. I also did not publish any book in February 2009.

I haven't viewed the itilprime material, but I've heard it's good stuff.

MS