Options

640-460 Transcender

PenfoldPenfold Member Posts: 43 ■■■□□□□□□□
Just starting using the Transcender exam engine on a 30 day trial, and I've noticed a few terms which aren't mentioned in the official Cisco press book such as companding, Cisco access digital trunk gateway and analogue trunk gateway. So far I've used the book, nuggets, gns3 and some hardware as study prep material but thinking now it isn't enough.

Comments

• Options
    azaghulazaghul Member Posts: 569 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Hi,

I used the full version of the CCNA-V Selftest pack (same as Transcender, just rebadged and cheaper), found it close to the real exam.

For digital trunk gateway, think E1/T1.
    For analogue trunk gateway, think FXO/FXS.

hxxp://www.selftestsoftware.com/
  • Options
    Thanks for the reply. Did you use the links/references to the Cisco site on the test engine for each question? I'm thinking of going through them but theres alot to cover at a glance so not sure if thats going overboard.
  • Options
    Ok starting to see some other stuff about QoS which isn't mentioned anywhere whatsover in the book, looks like I definitely need to brush up on some reading.
  • Options
    luke_bibbyluke_bibby Member Posts: 162
    The cisco press book talks about what qos is, why it's necessary, and how to roll out autoqos. I wouldn't imagine there would be too much more than that for the CCNAV exam
  • Options
    Luke, there is a question which asks which QoS tool increases delay for delay-sensistive traffic over network links in order to reduce packet drops. Some of the options are traffic-shaping (which happens to be correct) link fragmentation and interleaving. Now I don't know about anyone else but I've never come across that stuff.
  • Options
    mikem2temikem2te Member Posts: 407
    Penfold wrote: »
    Luke, there is a question which asks which QoS tool increases delay for delay-sensistive traffic over network links in order to reduce packet drops. Some of the options are traffic-shaping (which happens to be correct) link fragmentation and interleaving. Now I don't know about anyone else but I've never come across that stuff.
    When I did the CCNA V and now the CCNA Security, as they are both new certifications they felt as if there are loads of rough edges around the requirements list.

Like the QOS mentioned above there is not much detail in the official books but looking as some test questions you get the feeling of not knowing what they are talking about. I guess as the cert matures and the books get reprinted most of this will get sorted but it doesn't do us any good who are studying now. There some shocking errors in the security book, makes me think the books have been rushed out even without being proof read.

The book I bought has some suppllemental info on QOS on the attached CD which helped a lot.
    Blog : http://www.caerffili.co.uk/

Previous : Passed Configuring Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007 (70-630)
    Currently : EIGRP & OSPF
    Next : CCNP Route
  • Options
    mikem2te wrote: »
    Like the QOS mentioned above there is not much detail in the official books but looking as some test questions you get the feeling of not knowing what they are talking about.

Thanks mike this is exactly what I'm trying to say. Ok so yeh you shouldn't rely on one source as everybody knows, this is why I going to research some more on the Cisco site. But I can't help feeling a bit miffed at having paid for and read the book twice over plus making notes along the way to find I still don't know what they are talking about in some of the questions being asked.
  • Options
    azaghulazaghul Member Posts: 569 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Definitely don't just rely on the Transcender pack, while I found it good value don't rely on it as you're sole source. Due to the newness (at the time) of the CCNA-Voice course, they pulled in some questions from the CVoice course to fill out the numbers, not sure if it has improved since then.

The Cisco study guide also includes an Exam Sim, though I didn't think much of it.

I also used the Exam Cram CCNA-Voice book, the Transcender links for wrong answers, and "other" exam sim sources. If you do a search you can find these sources which also have 10-20 questions in their evaluation simulators.

As for QoS, no there wasn't much in the book, and as it's now been 6 months since the exam don't have a good recollection of it.