Options

Security IT Admin

XXNONAMEXXXXNONAMEXX Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
I took a Security+ and passed the cert in 2005. It was supposed to never go out of date. Anyway I know IT security is a hot field. I would love to take advantage of a cert that would be valuable in the upcoming future. Any ideas? Also is there a cert that doesn't go out of date so often? Thanks

Comments

• Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    You could take the 2009 version of the security+. Since the technology and the exploits that are right behind change so fast, it's not a bad idea to take upgraded versions, even though the old exams don't "expire".
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    XXNONAMEXX wrote: »
    I took a Security+ and passed the cert in 2005. It was supposed to never go out of date. Anyway I know IT security is a hot field. I would love to take advantage of a cert that would be valuable in the upcoming future. Any ideas? Also is there a cert that doesn't go out of date so often? Thanks

They don't expire.

http://www.techexams.net/forums/security/49480-security-only-valid-2-years.html
  • Options
    XXNONAMEXXXXNONAMEXX Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Since Security administrators are a hot field what cert should I look into which will help increase my salary as well stay up to date in a hot field? Since I have Security+ from 05 which is still ok what is the next big security cert to take. Thanks
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Since Security administrators are a hot field what cert should I look into which will help increase my salary as well stay up to date in a hot field? Since I have Security+ from 05 which is still ok what is the next big security cert to take. Thanks

What experience and certifications do you currently hold?
  • Options
    worldmac1worldmac1 Member Posts: 121 ■■□□□□□□□□

You could work towards the CCNA-Security and then on to CCSP. There's a cert called Certified Ethical Hacker too, but I have heard that some employers are wary about that cert because it has "Hacker" associated with the name.

After you have taken some of these and pending on your education and time in an Infosec position you could then take the CISSP.

All of these certs are Infosec certs, but without knowing your educational/Certification background, or experience it's hard to reccomend which one is right for you.

Hope this helps.icon_smile.gif
    Certs in Progress:

CCNP:Routing 300-101 15%
    OIIIIIIIO
  • Options
    LaminiLamini Member Posts: 242 ■■■□□□□□□□

remember sec+ is an entry level cert; if you follow security route, end goal will be CISSP ($$$)... and you aint gonna get there from a sec+; like the cissp, your vision goes wide but not deep into everything (networking, servers, software, blah blah; there is a technical and the managerial side

if you want to catch the IA wave, Sec+ will get you IAT1-2 or IAM1 positions; however, you'll still need the OS certs!! make sure you have a clearance (specially in the security world).
    CompTIA: A+ / NET+ / SEC+
    Microsoft: MCSA 2003