Have to take Security+ soon and I'm freaking out.

greg.virtsgreg.virts Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
Ok, I have been at my current job for about two weeks and it requires i get my Security+ within 90 days. I have been doing the practice exams on here and have been getting 90's or above, i have been reading the material out of the sybex books. (3 that come together: main text, study guide, and street smarts). I have a class coming up also that starts january 11th 2010. Yet i am still freaking out because tests are not my strong point. I went to college and graduated in Computer Support Technology, i majored in Network Support Technology. I did ok in the CCNA 1-4 classes. I just over analyze everything and try to make things harder then they actually are. what is the hardest thing on the security+? Is there a practice test out there that uses actual questions off of the exam? What other study guides should i get? Also i have taken the A+ about 4 years ago and passed that fine and the DCSE (Dell Certifed System Expert) all servers/workstations/notebooks. Does anyone have any extra advice for me? My job depends on me passing this damn exam. Even though nothing on the exam has anything to do with my job. Im a System Admin Associate working as an Army Contractor.

Comments

• GAngelGAngel Member Posts: 708 ■■■■□□□□□□
    greg.virts wrote: »
    Ok, I have been at my current job for about two weeks and it requires i get my Security+ within 90 days. I have been doing the practice exams on here and have been getting 90's or above, i have been reading the material out of the sybex books. (3 that come together: main text, study guide, and street smarts). I have a class coming up also that starts january 11th 2010. Yet i am still freaking out because tests are not my strong point. I went to college and graduated in Computer Support Technology, i majored in Network Support Technology. I did ok in the CCNA 1-4 classes. I just over analyze everything and try to make things harder then they actually are. what is the hardest thing on the security+? Is there a practice test out there that uses actual questions off of the exam? What other study guides should i get? Also i have taken the A+ about 4 years ago and passed that fine and the DCSE (Dell Certifed System Expert) all servers/workstations/notebooks. Does anyone have any extra advice for me? My job depends on me passing this damn exam. Even though nothing on the exam has anything to do with my job. Im a System Admin Associate working as an Army Contractor.

I suggest you write it a good while before the three months exprie so if you do happen to fail you have time to re-write it.
  • Nakeja71Nakeja71 Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
    greg.virts wrote: »

First thing you need to do is stop thinking negatively. Look at all you have accomplished. You are already a success and YOU will pass this test with flying colors. I am going to go ahead and congragulate you on passing your Security + with flying colors .
  • Super99Super99 Member Posts: 274
    Know PKI, certificates, encryptions, kerberos well.
    You'll be ok.
  • PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Look through the exam objectives and make sure you are comfortable with the material. Get a VM and practice setting up security protocols, look through what is available depending on the various setups. You'll be fine! :)
  • greg.virtsgreg.virts Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    You guys were right. I passed yesterday with an 810. i only spent 30 minutes on the test, i hurried through it. Im sure if i took my time i would have gotten a higher score. It's all good. thank you guys for the help and confidence. I used the Deluxe version of the Sybex Security+ book set. I didn't read or even look at the Street Smarts book. I am now going towards Server+, Network+ and maybe the Linux+ or Convergence+. They all look pretty easy. The Security+ is the hardest one and you have to score really high. I feel confident i can pass the Network+ right now. But i will study and take it within a month. Thank you guys for reassuring me. I get my raise next month for getting my Security+ another 2 dollars an hour. pretty good for being 24. i'll be at 50,000 a year. Not bragging just thought i would share with you guys. Im just a System Admin working for the Army in there Network Operating Facility. I am on the Windows Service Management Team.
  • DarrilDarril Member Posts: 1,588
    Congratulations.

Darril Gibson
    Author: CompTIA Security+: Get Certified Get Ahead
    ISBN-10: 1439236364
    Security+ Blog
  • KillermacKillermac Member Posts: 93 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats, I am scheduling mine right now. I have used the sybex book and been in the industry a while. I feel that I will do pretty well. Congrats to you.

KM
    Killermac :)
    A+;Net+;XP,MCP, Security+, Win 7: 70-680