Did you reach your cert goals this year?

mikedisd2mikedisd2 Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■■■□□□□□
Well, in my naivity at the start of '09 I was really only aiming for a few extra MS certs for knowledge sake. By June I set my goal to get the MCSE and something extra at the end if I had time.

I did 6x exams this year and now have MCSE and ITIL v3. I really wanted to get the CCENT done but neglected to consider scheduling the exam early. Consequently all bookings were filled for December and I missed out. icon_sad.gif

So did everyone achieve all their goals for 2009?

Comments

• msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Not by a long shot, 2009 all in all turned out to be a very complicated year for me and really hindered my studies. I guess I can't complain too much though, I did pickup a few certifications in 2009 (70-620, 70-680 on beta, and Server+ on beta) which were actually my first after being working in the industry for a while before finding a need to become more marketable. Also finished up my Bachelor's degree in 2009 as well which was a significant accomplishment for me and one that I had been eagerly awaiting for several years.

I'm keeping a positive attitude though and have gone through life changes that are going to keep 2010 hopefully open as far as certification studies are concerned. They will be slowed down somewhat as I'm starting classes again for my Master's degree. Certainly wanted to invest some additional time in achieving some sought after certifications prior the the Master's degree but a side effect of those life changes that are likely to keep 2010 more open also come bundled with higher living expenses which would bring difficulty when my student loans came up for repayment. Also on the agenda for 2010 is a better paying job since the financial situation is only going to further deteriorate as I progress deeper into 2010.
  • EmpoweredBizTechEmpoweredBizTech Member Posts: 110
    I Will let you know tomorrow afternoon as Tomorrow at 1:15 PST I Go in for my 70-297 and thus my final exam to finally become an MCSE and complete my goal of doing it before the year ends.
  • Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    Yup. I kept my certification goals sane and hit it back in October, leaving me free from the stress of having to study during the holidays. Been sneaking in a little time here and there, but after the first of the year, the engine gets fired back up. Should be able to easily make my 2010 goals as well
  • jojopramosjojopramos Member Posts: 415
    My goal is partially achieved. I finished my MCSE 2003 upgrade through 293/294 exam this year (I finished my 292 last year, too bad 296 expired earlier last year before I can take it) and I am hoping to finish the CCNA too but, well because I need to finish my projects at work (windows 2008 migration), I guess I will just finish my CCNA before March of 2010 (hopefully)... included in my 2010 plans are:

1. 640-802 - CCNA is a priority... (thinking on CCENT first, then CCNA?)
    2. 70-680 (Windows 7) yes, i'd love to take this client exam (my last client exam is 70-210)
    3. 70-648 (Upgrading MCSA to Windows 200icon_cool.gif and
    4. if time permits, 70-649 Upgrading MCSE to Windows 2008
  • EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I had planned to finish out the MCSE, but then the MCITP came out. So I am two exams away from the EA. I didnt set myself lofty goals in 2009, just planned to take it one exam at a time. Also in 2009 I was promoted and focussed on performing well at work and getting some real experience under my belt.

I am going to churn out those certs in 2010, with the EA, EMA, ISA, SNIA, CCNA (currently expired), and possibly a CCA, certs on my hit-list.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • carboncopycarboncopy Member Posts: 259
    Unfortunately... no icon_sad.gif

I managed to take the CISSP exam and I am waiting for the results. If I passed, then I will be happy. Next year I will definitely be able to do the ones I wanted to do this year, or at least I hope so :)
  • TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    2009 has been a good year for me, probably my toughest year on the CCIE trek. I managed to build on the solid foundation I laid throughout 2008 by putting in a few hundred hours of rack time and a couple of hundred hours of reading. A few more trips around the moon to go but looking good for 2010 when I will be able to say 'The Eagle has landed'. I find I have life goals as opposed to cert goals. Having such goals on their own would be a preoccupation too invasive of other much more important things demanding my time at work and at home.
  • MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I didn't set specific goals for 2009, rather I just wanted to get some Microsoft certs. I started and finished the MCITP SA and EA in 2009, and also the EDA7, so I'd say my goal was reached.
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV
  • ColbyGColbyG Member Posts: 1,264
    I got my NP this year, so I more than accomplished my goals. I try not to attach dates to long term goals, like finishing a cert. I focus on one exam at a time and I usually don't set a date more than a week out, so even my short term goals aren't planned too much.

My current hope for 2010 is to get the CCDP and knock out the IE Written. We'll see how that goes.
  • GT-RobGT-Rob Member Posts: 1,090
    nope.

Although I did some things that weren't planned, next year is the same plan as this year was.
  • CCIEWANNABECCIEWANNABE Banned Posts: 465
    i would say yes, this year has been very successful. I obtained CCDA, CCDP, CCNA: Voice, CCNA: Wireless, CCIP, JNCIS-M, CCIE Written, built my GNS3 Server and have started labbing for the CCIE R&S. It was a good year and to end it I'm down here in Perdido Key, Florida to bring in the new year! Happy Holidays and I hope you all had a great year!
  • Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Nope! My goal was to finish the CCNP and take the CCIE R&S written.

For what it's worth, I take my last CCNP exam (ONT) next week, and that will finish the CCNP up. Not sure what is next for me!
  • CompuTron99CompuTron99 Member Posts: 542
    My original goal for 2009 was to get the Network+ and the Server+ completed since I had been prepping for them on and off for the past few years. I ended up accomplishing those goals and ended up gaining my Security+ and MCP (70-270).

2010 will be busy for me with a wedding in June and the usual "surprises" that come up. My 2010 goal is to obtain my MCSA (2 exams left 290 /291), and get close to the MCSE certification.

Best of luck in 2010 to ALL of you!
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    My plan changed a few times last year due to changing jobs and moving. I'm settled in now and can hopefully get back on track with the certs.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    Well I started 09 with a sole MCP (270) and my only real goal was to make headway on the MCITP EA.

As of the end of 2009 I'll have 6 MCTS', 1 MCP, 3 MCITPs (including EA), and Server+

So while i didnt have totally solid plans, I think i far exceeded any I would have set for myself.
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Yes!

I finished my AAS in Computer Networking Technology, the Network+, the Security+, and have started on the CCENT. icon_cheers.gif
  • chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Yes I accomplished my goals for this year. I completed my CCNP which I started back in october of 08. So yes it took some time and working full time and going to the gym 3 nights a week definitely cut in to study time but in the end my goal was complete and obtained before the year ended.
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • GAngelGAngel Member Posts: 708 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I wanted to do the MCITP:EA, ITIL,sec+ and CISSP. I ended up doing the EA,GPEN,ITIL,heorot,CEH.

Sec+ and CISSP are within the next few weeks so overall not a bad year assuming i knock both of those out.
  • tbgree00tbgree00 Member Posts: 553 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Yes I hit my goals and also has a surprise. I got Network +, A+, Server+, MCITP:EST, and 70-686 this year. I didn't expect to pass the beta and somehow slid through on the skin of my teeth.

Next year I'm going to start with MCITP:EDA7, then Security+ and start on the MCSE. I expect to have the MCSA by the end of the year but probably won't take all 5 tests I need before 2011.
    I finally started that blog - www.thomgreene.com
  • Dr ITDr IT Member Posts: 351 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Overall a Big No

On the certs front i jus could not make it this year but managed to find a job and put my energy towards it ( and boost my own self esteem )

but come 2010 i need to get on with my certs

Finally Good Luck to all & New Year Greetings
    Venturing in to the Unknown

Target 2018 : SSCP VCP- DTM

The Difference between the Ordinary and the Extra-Ordinary is that Little " Extra ".
  • bwcartybwcarty Member Posts: 422 ■■■□□□□□□□
    More or less. I'm back in school (WGU), so some certs are a bit on the back burner in favor of those that get me school credit.

Security+ (and with it, MCSA:Security) will have to wait a month or two, but I did finish out the final three exams for my MCSE as well as pick up a bunch of little things...basically, everything else over there <---- minus the VCP came in the past 4 months.
    Help eradicate blood cancers with a donation to the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society.
  • Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Cert goals? Yes and no.

I had no goals as far as certs up until about July of this year. I finished my CCNA which was my only goal. I have started the S+ and CCNA:S (and L+) so actually I did/am doing much more than I planned to (which is a good thing). I earned 3 certs last year and I plan to earn at leat 6-7 this coming year. I also (and more importantly) gained knowledge.
  • apd123apd123 Member Posts: 171
    i would say yes, this year has been very successful. I obtained CCDA, CCDP, CCNA: Voice, CCNA: Wireless, CCIP, JNCIS-M, CCIE Written, built my GNS3 Server and have started labbing for the CCIE R&S. It was a good year and to end it I'm down here in Perdido Key, Florida to bring in the new year! Happy Holidays and I hope you all had a great year!

Slow down you are going to make the rest of us look bad. Also try not to taint all that Cisco goodness with one bad seed. I was supposed to pass Voice this year until Cisco went and changed the exam. R&S was supposed to be 2008 though my choke job in December prevented that I also failed Service Provider in March. I prefer to look at 2009 as a success for certs although if I would have passed the lab on the first shot my 2009 accomplishments would be SP written and CCNA Security icon_sad.gif.
  • petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    Hyper-Me wrote: »
    So while i didnt have totally solid plans, I think i far exceeded any I would have set for myself.

Those are among the best times. :)
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • jjbrogjjbrog Member Posts: 149
    Damn I wish, I wanted to get my CCENT out of the way this month, but school drove me bonkers with a math class, and I suck at math, so depending how next semester goes, maybe I'll just say screw it and take the whole CCNA alone this summer. Then see if my school will let me test out of CCNA-4 (fall sem)if thats the case.
    Started a forum for networking students, its new and needs people!
    http://netadminstudents.zxq.net/phpBB3/
    HTC students encouraged to join :)
  • bikeandskibikeandski Member Posts: 69 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I did not, my goal was MCSA and I'm only one exam away but I have not really even started preparing for it. But I dealt with some major projects at work and my wife and I had our second child!

I did pass the 270, 290 and Server + beta, hopefully by this time next year I will be an MCSE!

Good luck to everyone in 2010!
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Nope, this year was a little too hectic and far too unstable for me to finish what I planned on. By this time, I was planning on having my MCSE finished, either having or have started the MCITP: Enterprise Administrator, and be working on the CCNP. Unfortunately, a switch to the third shift at work early in the year to finish a project, then getting caught up with a weird situation at school, I fell behind and got all tangled up with other things. Hopefully, I can knock out an MCSE exam or two before school starts up again at the end of January to make up for lost time.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Chivalry1Chivalry1 Member Posts: 569
    Unfortunately not. icon_sad.gif Some of the Certification objectives will spill over into 1st quarter 2010. Hopefully after the CISSP begin learning Project Management (PMP) material. And perhaps later ITIL certification or another Cisco Certification.
    "The recipe for perpetual ignorance is: be satisfied with your opinions and
    content with your knowledge. " Elbert Hubbard (1856 - 1915)
  • NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Unfortunately no, I wanted to complete the A+ (2006) certification, but I failed my first attempt at the A+ essentials exam. In 2010 I plan on taking and passing the A+ 2009 exam. Also, I want to take the Network+ exam as well.
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Not by a long shot, but a lot happened this year and I am not disappointed.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...