What did you achieve in 2009 ?

KaminskyKaminsky Member Posts: 1,235
I managed to solidify my place in a new job after a very shaky start. (outgoing contractor tried to stitch me up big time) Brought in some huge, "undoable" projects well within time and budget and work sent me on a Juniper training course across the Atlantic to Washington DC for a week.

What successes did you have last year ?
Kam.

Comments

• ColbyGColbyG Member Posts: 1,264
    Got a couple jobs, got a couple certs, got married, moved, my kid got a little older. Not much.
  • EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Got promoted, worked hard. Earned 3 certs. Bought a house.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • mikedisd2mikedisd2 Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Did 6x certs, failed to get a new job, conceived second child.
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I found a nice job and learned a lot.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • wheezwheez Member Posts: 74 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Earned some certs.. neeeeearly finished the BS (one final exam in February) and got involved in a couple of nice projects at work.
    WIP: Considering cert path.. :-)
  • SysAdmin4066SysAdmin4066 Member Posts: 443
    My daughter was born around this time last year, so my first year with my daughter was memorable. She turned over, crawled, walked, ate solids, etc all this year and I generally got used to being a first time dad. This was also my first full year at work, as I came in halfway through last year. Migration from eDirectory to AD is nearly complete with me as technical lead, so that was a big one. I finished my MCITP EA (started it at the end of last year), got an MCTS in Exchange, got the CISSP, and nearly finished the CCNP (final exam due for January 10th).
    In Progress: CCIE R&S Written Scheduled July 17th (Tentative)

Next Up: CCIE R&S Lab
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    I put away a project that my counterpart at work hadn't been able to finish, (with some help from Cisco tech support,) I got a whole ton of reading done, I got back in the swing of school once I was laid off, I moved to a much nice place to live, and I cleared the hurdle that's been holding me back for about seven years: I got caught up on my algebra and trig so I (hopefully) passed calculus I, which is the prerequisite for every other class I have to take in college from here on in.

While I didn't accomplish a bunch of things I'd wanted to do, I certainly did get quite a few useful things done. Not bad, considering the world practically ended several times over in 2009. icon_lol.gif

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    1. Got a job
    2. Moved from Michigan to South Carolina (Better economy, slower life, nicer people, warmer weather, lower priced food)
    3. Finished an A.A.S. in Computer Networking Technology
    4. Bought a newer car
    5. Finished Network+ and Security+
  • HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    Things I got accomplished:

• Regularly exercised for most of the year
    • Paid off all credit cards
    • Paid one of two cars off
    • Opened and fully funded an IRA
    • Developed personal investment strategy
    • Build emergency fund of 2 months of living expenses
    • Obtained MCITP: Enterprise Administrator
    • Obtained VCP4
    • Developed intermediate PowerShell scripting skills
    • Learned how to efficiently use Visio
    • Wrapped up AD/Exchange cross forest migration of 5,000 users in enterprise environment
    • Got new job finally, with a 10% increase in pay, not bad for a depressed economy
    Goals for 2010:

• Storage certification - beginning in earnest now for base EMC cert
    • Learn PowerShell 2.0 - Sure it will be coming
    • Get MCITP for Exchange 2010
    • Learn how to use Excel - I'm horrible with Excel, time to fix that
    • Build emergency fund to 3 months of living expenses
    • Mortgage refi - didn't have the equity that would have allowed for a refi that would have made sense. Will pay down second mortgage to build equity.
    • Lose 30 more pounds - Want to get to 200 pounds
    • Exercise for at least 30 minutes four times a week
    Good luck to all!
  • msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Got a couple certifications, none that will help out my marketability all that much (70-620, 70-680 and Server+). Finished my bachelor's degree. Entered the beginning stages of a divorce and dug deeper into debt thanks to wage cuts and extraordinary expenses (car troubles, washer took a crap, etc).

Looking forward to trying to turn things around in 2010!
  • stlsmoorestlsmoore Member Posts: 515 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I finally sneaked my way into network engineering along with obtaining my CCNA which landed me the job in the first place. I also

1. Paid off the rest of my car
    2. Paid an extra 10k on my private student loans (a lil more than 20k to go!)
    3. Saved up 6 months of emergency funds
    4. Destroyed my 6 month emergency fund by buying a second car (Talon AWD Turbo), I planned on selling my current car and keeping the Talon. Long story short the Talon was a lemon and it left me with about $200 in my account after everything was all said and done.
    5. Rebuilt my bank account somewhat again while aggressively paying off student loan again!
    6. Started my CCNP (I never in a million years thought I would get this far)

2010 I plan on completing the CCNP track, finishing up the rest of my private loan, and preparing on where I would like to move too.
    My Cisco Blog Adventure: http://shawnmoorecisco.blogspot.com/

Don't Forget to Add me on LinkedIn!
    https://www.linkedin.com/in/shawnrmoore
  • L0gicB0mb508L0gicB0mb508 Member Posts: 538
    1. Got married
    2. Took a job in Afghanistan
    3. Left Afghanistan
    4. Finally got a job involving security
    5. Bought my first home
    6. Bought a new car
    I bring nothing useful to the table...
  • Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    My achievements were fairly limited this year. All the FUD surrounding the economy made me step back and take a serious look around February. When I asked myself the question 'what would happen if I went into work tomorrow and found out I didn't have a job?'

I didn't like the answer. So I guess my biggest accomplishment was just waking up to the fact that I was doing things wrong, and committing to the change to get my life in order.

So I got out of debt (thank you Dave Ramsey for drilling that one into my head), saved some money, and started properly budgeting, and planning for large purchases instead of making them spur of the moment decisions. So I pretty much basically modified my behavior entirely, at least in regards to personal finance. I also managed to kick my WoW habit, finish my CCNP and get my CCDP, and move from system administration to network engineering.

2009 was fairly good to me, but it's really only the start. I look forward to continuing my self improvement in 2010, and extending the discipline I learned with my finances to other areas of my life, such as dieting properly, getting enough exercise, and getting rid of my smoking habit.
  • PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Stayed employed
    got a promotion
    finished up MCSE:Security
    Started AAS:networking
    Baby #2 on the way
    Refinanced my house
    was nice to the users who can't find the F-lock key and who make me drive 20 minutes to go push the button for them icon_wink.gif
    was nice to the user who was looking for an actual mouse on her screen - I am not kidding!
  • PashPash Member Posts: 1,600 ■■■■■□□□□□
    If I am honest not enough.

In 2009

1. Security +
    2. Juniper JNCIA/FWV
    3. Learnt a fair amount of powershell.
    4. Got back into PHP coding, lots of application for this in 2010.
    5. Worked hard, not as hard as other years though. Work dried up a bit for me in Q4, could be why.
    6. Cleared all my debts and have 3 months Salary saved as emergency funds. (this was probably the most important part of 2009)

In 2010

1. Get up to speed on HTML & CSS again
    2. Improve PHP knowledge
    3. Get my web portfolio updated and begin searching for entry level studio jobs every day, id even take a huge paycut to get somewhere with this.
    4. Complete at least 3 daily sketches a week on cgtalk.com
    5. Start my Creative Computing Degree in Q4 2010 at Goldsmiths Uni.

I would sign myself down for this 10k page challenge but it won't be infrastructure related so id feel a little left out!

I envy some of you, you are all smart guys/gals and you have good family values. Best of Luck for 2010.
    DevOps Engineer and Security Champion. https://blog.pash.by - I am trying to find my writing style, so please bear with me.
  • tgfndotcomtgfndotcom Member Posts: 37 ■■□□□□□□□□
    3 certs, 2 of them being VCP 3 and VCP4... Became the goto guy in our IT department for most questions (this seems to be a good and bad thing at the same time) ....

Work .. Work .. Work

forgot about vacation's ... oops

hoping to finish with large projects this year and find some time off somewhere....

what fun !
  • vColevCole Member Posts: 1,573 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Not very much.
    Certs:
    -MCDST
    -MCTS,Vista, Configuration
    -MCITP:Enterprise Support Technician
    -Passed 70-290
    -Landed a much better job

Other than that, not too much. here's to hoping 2010 will be better icon_thumright.gif
  • 120nm4n120nm4n Member Posts: 116
    Got married
    Conceived first child
    Stayed employed
    Finished MCSE
    Got a new job
    Paid down debt
    Increased the value of my house significantly

Overall, I think 2009 was a great year, and I'm hoping 2010 will be even better. icon_smile.gif
    WIP: MCITP: EA
    70-620 - Done
    70-647 - In Progress
    70-649 - Soon.
  • bwcartybwcarty Member Posts: 422 ■■■□□□□□□□
    2009:
    Celebrated my 5th year anniversary as a cancer (lymphoma) survivor
    Ran my first marathon with Team in Training and raised nearly $3000 for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society
    Completed my first triathlon (only a sprint distance, but the swim was hard enough!)
    Finished my MCSE
    Enrolled in school...again (4th time's the charm, right?)
    Picked up A+, Network+, CIW Foundations, and CIW JavaScript certs

Goals for 2010:
    Complete my BS degree @ WGU (earning Security+, Project+, and another cert or two in the process)
    Run a 10K race in < 60 minutes
    Complete a half-Ironman triathlon
    Remain employed
    Help eradicate blood cancers with a donation to the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society.
  • captobviouscaptobvious Member Posts: 648
    Got a couple of certs and gained about 10 lbs. :D
  • Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    6 MCTS
    3 MCITPs (including EA)
    Server+
    Promotion
    Refinanced house
    Running some projects at work that are leaping us 10 years ahead of where we were tech wise.

and a partridge in a pear tree.
  • pennystraderpennystrader Member Posts: 155
    I just this month started a new job and in my previous job learned alot about Group Policy and troubleshooting issues in it. Done alot of reading and testing this year and started my own blog as well.

The more knowledge one obtains the more there is too accumulate.....

• chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Got my CCNP and got my Network Engineering job.
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Liberated myself from marriage. Debating whether I want to start looking to get re-shackled in 2010...

Seriously though, I got a ton of certs and landed my dream job. Looking back, I'm pleasantly surprised with what I managed to get accomplished despite all the life changes. I probably have 3-6 months of grueling work before I'll truly be in the clear, but then it's full-speed ahead.

I'm impressed with all your accomplishments. Let's keep it up in 2010!
  • skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    I didn't accomplish nearly as much as I wanted to, but looking at my list, I'm still pretty pleased:
    - went back to school after waiting 8+ years to do so
    - got a part time job
    - got some certs (MCP/290, Server+, Windows 7/680)
    - bought a Wrangler (hooray, we're an all-Jeep family again! :) )
    - switched into a masters program
    - went full time at work
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion