659 Beta Exam Report

RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
I took the exam this afternoon and I am quite impressed with level of knowledge reuired. I expected it to be more concerned with the basics of Hyper-V and VMM but it was very, very heavy on Enterprise level knowledge. You need to understand clustering and iSCSI pretty well, for example.

I am fairly sure I did not pass.

Comments

• stupidboystupidboy Member Posts: 470
    I took the exam this afternoon and I am quite impressed with level of knowledge reuired. I expected it to be more concerned with the basics of Hyper-V and VMM but it was very, very heavy on Enterprise level knowledge. You need to understand clustering and iSCSI pretty well, for example.

I am with you there, considering that it was not that long ago that I passed the 70-652 exam and 70-403 so I thought I was in with a shot. However, I found the step up in the knowledge required was quite substantial and I too feel that if I made a 450-500 then I've faired much better it felt.
  • MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□

Same here. I read the Sybex book for 70-652 and did all the labs, but it was definitely not enough for the 70-659. Maybe I'll just go take the 652 now! icon_lol.gif
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV
  • Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    Hmm.. I skipped this beta as I have done the 652, but its pretty surprising that they stepped it up so much.

652 was mostly elementary knowledge of virtualization concepts, with a little iSCSI/clustering and SCVMM thrown in there.
    Hyper-Me wrote: »
    Hmm.. I skipped this beta as I have done the 652, but its pretty surprising that they stepped it up so much.

652 was mostly elementary knowledge of virtualization concepts, with a little iSCSI/clustering and SCVMM thrown in there.
    I would have done well if I had set up a better lab (e.g. two hosts and a SAN), or had some enterprise experience with Hyper-V on 2008 R2. I missed a lot of easy questions since I only built a single host with SCVMM to lab with, and thus didn't touch a lot of stuff. Oh well!
    MentholMoose
  • RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■

Yes, you would have enjoyed this test. It was a tough one. I think MS Learning did a very good job on it. Very specific knowledge of the product is needed to pass. Less so with VMM, but that's to be expected as it is not a SCVMM exam. I'm very interested to see my score and I plan on taking it once it goes live (assuming I did not pass).
  • Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    I'd like to see more SCVMM than 652 had just because an enterprise level implimentation is likely going to use it.

Im not the best with iSCSI and clustering yet. I'm slowly starting to gain a good understanding of it but its one of those topics thats just taking some time to "click".
  • ClaymooreClaymoore Member Posts: 1,637
    I'd like to see more SCVMM than 652 had just because an enterprise level implimentation is likely going to use it.

Im not the best with iSCSI and clustering yet. I'm slowly starting to gain a good understanding of it but its one of those topics thats just taking some time to "click".

I bet the upcoming 70-693 Virtualization Administrator Pro Exam will be full of SCVMM topics. I do wish that the MCITP:VA exams lined up with the virtualization competency partner requirements. I thought it was strange that the 70-403 SCVMM exam wasn't a part of the VA track, and with the lack of VMM questions on 659 I can only assume the 693 will pick up the VMM slack.
    Well, this is my first fail on an MS exam. icon_redface.gif I figured this would be the result so I took (and passed) 652 last week, since apparently it satisfies the same requirement of the Virtualization Admin cert. I don't foresee retaking 659 when it's released, but who knows... I don't have my score report yet, so if I was close I may try again.
    MentholMoose
  • wawrzynwawrzyn Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi!
    Same here, first MS exam (of 20+) ever failed. I also think it was very very hard. I have also taken the PRO one - but that one I'm sure I've failed too.
    Best regards!
    w.
    Fail here as well. But this is exactly what I expected. I had very little time to actually study and this was a hard exam.
  • Jamesm3Jamesm3 Member Posts: 72 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I passed this BETA exam :).

I am so suprised considering I have no real world experience with Hyper-V.

I thought myself Hyper-V R2 by building a test system with failover cluster and iSCSI

I also have experience on VMWare which helped alot

James
    C|EHv9, Security+, MCITP:SA - MCITP:EA - MCTS - MCSE - MCSA - MCP - MCP+i - Network+ - A+
    Jamesm3 wrote: »
    I passed this BETA exam :).

I am so suprised considering I have no real world experience with Hyper-V.

I thought myself Hyper-V R2 by building a test system with failover cluster and iSCSI

I also have experience on VMWare which helped alot

James
    Congrats! Setting up a cluster and shared storage was a good call since these areas were so important for the exam. I had trouble since I only setup a single 2008 R2 host.
    MentholMoose
  • hypnotoadhypnotoad Banned Posts: 915
    Still havent got my results. What method do they send them in? Email/Postal?
    hypnotoad wrote: »
    Still havent got my results. What method do they send them in? Email/Postal?
    You can check the status in your Prometric history. I got an email with my result, and expect to receive the printed score report by postal mail eventually.
    MentholMoose
    Congrats, guys! This was a good exam. I wish I had put more into it.
    No idea how, but I got a Congratulations on earning your Windows Server 2008 R2, Server Virtualization certification! email. Now I just got to wait to see what the score was icon_cool.gif

Tough exam so respect to anyone else that passed icon_thumright.gif
    I finally got my score report in the mail, showing my score as 673. At least it was a close fail (still very bad). icon_redface.gif
    MentholMoose
    I finally got my score report in the mail, showing my score as 673. At least it was a close fail (still very bad). icon_redface.gif

Man that was close, you going to attempt again?

I've still not seen my score report. icon_sad.gif
    stupidboy wrote: »
    Man that was close, you going to attempt again?

I've still not seen my score report. icon_sad.gif
    I don't plan to retake it since I already took and passed 652, which is supposed to satisfy the same MCITP: VA requirement as 659. It's tempting though, since I can use the student second shot and take it for pretty cheap.
    MentholMoose
    Well ... according to my score report I did better than I thought and made an 886.
    stupidboy wrote: »
    Well ... according to my score report I did better than I thought and made an 886.
    NICE score!!
    MentholMoose