What to study?

jlstewart@chartmi.netjlstewart@chartmi.net Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
Arg, I've been studing for the Security+ test using CompTIA Security+ Deluxe Study Guide and ExamCram Secruity+. The I took the practice test from CompTIA Security+ Deluxe Sybex Test www.simulationexams.com, Free MCSE CompTIA A+ CCNA CCNP Certification Practice Exams and Study Guides and www.techexams.net and continue to find topics that I'm missing. Why can't 1 book cover all of the material? Where do I go from here? More pratice test; like from
- Transcender (353q/$119 *has nice flash cards with print option; no learn mode), - UCertify (733q/ $94.99 * good learn mode with good explainations) or Preplogic.

Comments

• veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Arg, I've been studing for the Security+ test using CompTIA Security+ Deluxe Study Guide and ExamCram Secruity+. The I took the practice test from CompTIA Security+ Deluxe Sybex Test www.simulationexams.com, Free MCSE CompTIA A+ CCNA CCNP Certification Practice Exams and Study Guides and www.techexams.net and continue to find topics that I'm missing. Why can't 1 book cover all of the material? Where do I go from here? More pratice test; like from
    - Transcender (353q/$119 *has nice flash cards with print option; no learn mode), - UCertify (733q/ $94.99 * good learn mode with good explainations) or Preplogic.

Hmm, just remember that most online material is still the older version which might be throwing you off.
  • jlstewart@chartmi.netjlstewart@chartmi.net Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    For example, one question from PrepLogic was

"Set myRecordSet = myConnection.execute("SELECT * FROM myTable WHERE someText ="&request.from("inputdata")& "") is a perfect setup for
    A. Signiture matching
    B. Input validation
    C. Social Engineering
    D. SQL Injection

This detail was not covered in the 2 books I used above.
    I'm still wondering what I need to do to prepare to this level.

BTW, the answer was D

Thanks,
  • mohcommohcom Member Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
    The concepts are all the same... if you know the concepts behind the questions covered in the various practice exams mentioned in your post then you should do well. That being said, make sure you study all the topics listed in this document: http://www.comptia.org/Libraries/Exam_Objectives/Security_Objectives08.sflb.ashx
    - CCNP (Work In Progress)
    - CCNA
    - CCENT
    - Security+
    - B.S. Computer Science (Info. Systems Security)
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Yea, I'd go over the exam objectives and just hit up Wikipedia or do a little Googling on anything you're not familiar with.

That question isn't as bad as it appears. It's basically just asking if you can differentiate SQL from something like social engineering; it's almost as simple as terminology.

Also, it's a fairly broad exam, and you don't need a perfect score. I'm not telling you to intentionally omit topics from your studies, but it's not the end of the world if one or two questions on the exam catch you off guard.
  • KasorKasor Member Posts: 933 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Noway you can 100% cover everything in this exam. Remember security is cover in general, so you need to know the system, software, physical, end-user and go with the major study guide.

It is very difficult to tell what to study.
    Kill All Suffer T "o" ReBorn
    Thanks everyone for the reply. In addition to the above resources I did get the uCertify practice test which has over 700 question plus the Measure UP.

My advisor at New Horizons would like me to take the A+ and Network+ certifications before the Security+. I'm not sure what is covered in these, but I have been a System Administrator for 4 years and have done programming of TCP/IP applications.

Not knowing what is on the test... do I have enough experience and have studied enough to take the Security+ test?

Thanks,
    FYI, these certifications are not hard to do on your own. New Horizons makes you pay an exorbitant fee for a test that combined with study books should cost no more than $350.
  • Xargon61Xargon61 Member Posts: 26 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You may want to consider the network+ before the security+ if you're feeling a little shaky on the networking side of things.
    Passed Security+ test with 840 score. Onto CISSP. Any pointers while persuing this ceritification?
    Congratz!

Out of curiosity, what is your personal job experience with security?
  • saran1234saran1234 Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks everyone for the reply. In addition to the above resources I did get the uCertify practice test which has over 700 question plus the Measure UP.
    Thanks,

Congrats for passing the exam. I'm wondering which practice test (uCertify and Measure Up) did you find it useful?

Thanks